FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Brake Reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Reservoir

I have a 20th Anniversary (#008) kit that I'm building. With that kit I received the chrome small brake fluid reservoir. My concern is that it seems to be a positive seal cap. If that is the case, how can fluid be sucked out of it if there is no displacement area (air) allowed into it? I understand that FF has changed this on newer builds? Is this something that can be upgraded with some new parts or something? I do not want to just "take the "o" ring out. I have to say, I'm very surprised that FF would want someone building this kind of car with this reservoir, seems kind of on the cheap side of things... I'm guessing it must work, either that or nearly everyone is spending money on the CNC double/triple reservoir system. Either way, Let me know your thoughts and what I should do. Thanks.

IMG_0346.JPG

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this helps, but I sold mine and opted for the CNC 3-part Reservoir mainly for the safety of having separate front and rear reservoirs. I don't have the FFR version anymore to verify it, but I though the FFR reservoir had a small hole in the top and some sort of rubber baffle to allow for air displacement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also can't help but agree that a fully sealed reservoir is not appropriate for the application. I went CNC dual. One feeds front and the other feeds rear and clutch.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reservoir has to be vented to atmospheric pressure to operate correctly BUT the brake fluid must not be vented directly to air. Brake fluid has an affinity for moisture and will suck it out of the air and affect the boiling point of the fluid. So brake fluid reservoirs should have a vented cap and a thin elastomeric bladder between the cap and brake fluid to prevent direct air to brake fluid contact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RRussellTx View Post
    Not sure if this helps, but I sold mine and opted for the CNC 3-part Reservoir mainly for the safety of having separate front and rear reservoirs. I don't have the FFR version anymore to verify it, but I though the FFR reservoir had a small hole in the top and some sort of rubber baffle to allow for air displacement?
    Should be a small hole in the cap. I went with a slim line Tilton 3 reservoir for clutch and brakes, F/R. Wanna buy another FFR reservoir?
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the original reservoirs like you mention but had to buy an extra so I would end up having 3 (2 brakes and 1 clutch). Factory five at some point switched between a 2 inch version like you show and a 3 inch version, so because I ordered them at different times I ended up with 3 of the each version. The good thing is that each of those have the same size cap. I was able to replace all of the caps on the original ones I had with the vented caps from the newer version. I would do a post asking if any one has any reservoirs with the vents or just the caps since so many swap out for CNC or other options. I found a few on the forums and through a mix and match made mine work, for a lot less than the CNC 3 reservoir costs.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

7. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rychi1 View Post
    I had the original reservoirs like you mention but had to buy an extra so I would end up having 3 (2 brakes and 1 clutch). Factory five at some point switched between a 2 inch version like you show and a 3 inch version, so because I ordered them at different times I ended up with 3 of the each version. The good thing is that each of those have the same size cap. I was able to replace all of the caps on the original ones I had with the vented caps from the newer version. I would do a post asking if any one has any reservoirs with the vents or just the caps since so many swap out for CNC or other options. I found a few on the forums and through a mix and match made mine work, for a lot less than the CNC 3 reservoir costs.
    Thanks... I'll do that...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look closely at the rubber diaphragm under the cover, you'll find one or two VERY small slits in the rubber.
    The Undead Gearhead, back from beyond the grave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Smith View Post
    If you look closely at the rubber diaphragm under the cover, you'll find one or two VERY small slits in the rubber.
    Well, that is actually the problem, these reservoirs do not have a diaphragm.... That's my whole problem... I just received 2 more of them and they are strictly an "O" ring around a solid top... no venting of any kind... And FF says this is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Measure the inner diameter of the cap, and find a brake reservoir cap the same size and rob the diaphragm from it, then drill a tiny hole in the top of the cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting discussion.

I just got the new FFR '35 pickup model and it has the same reservoir. Mine has a small hole drilled in the cap, but no "O" ring or rubber diaphragm. I am concerned also about moisture contamination of the brake fluid if it is exposed to air all the time. And, it can not be totally sealed as the fluid would never drain out. If you remember all the car stock master cylinders; they had a rubber diaphragm that would be sucked down as fluid was being used. No open air exposure.

Very interesting.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, the diaphragm is designed to move with brake application, but as pads wear more fluid migrates to the calipers and the diaphragm would become fully extended, so there's a tiny slit in the rubber to let MINUTE amounts of air in.