Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2 post vs 4 post lift

Post Thanks / Like

2 post vs 4 post lift

I’m trying to decide on whether to purchase a 2 post or 4
    Post lift. I’ve built a Mark IV and will be building a Coupe in about a year. I like the idea of being able to move the lift (4post) but it seems that for building the coupe a 2 post would be provide more access and that a 4 post might actually get in the way of the build.

I’ve got plenty of room in the shop so that is not a deciding factor.

Could you build a car from start to finish on a 4 post lift without driving yourself nuts? I’m not really worried about storing cars on the lift... just really the build and ongoing maintenance. It’s really a question of liking the thought of being able to move the lift that is appealing.

Thoughts and sharing of experiences are appreciated
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in the same decision making spot a few months ago. I was concerned about having the two post in the way, but more concerned about actually getting access to the underside of the car. Ultimately I ended up going with the two post lift and love it. I like that I can pull the wheels off all the way around without jacking and supporting the car on stands. I didn't want to use the lift for storage, so the two post had more of what I needed. Just be sure to really think through the location. I ended up moving mine after the initial installation to make it more accessible.

Edit: Here are a couple of pics to wet your appetite.

After rotating the lift to make access easier, I can get my other cars on the lift without any issue.

Last edited by Papa; 10-14-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    for what you want 2 post is the answer. I have a 4 post, it is not ideal for working on a car but I need it for storage mostly. I ended up building my coupe on jack stands because the Cobra was stored on the lift. Really you can do most of the build from above before the aluminum is installed but a 2 post lift would be ideal.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Slider,

The answer for me was a Bendpak Quick Jack. I bought the 7000SLX and it lifts the car over 18 inches. This is perfect for my builds and is easily movable and storable. I used a couple of 4 x 4's with notches cut so the frame slips right in. I also have a 4 poster which I use for tranny's, engines and storage.

Henry

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a professional automotive technician I've used a lot of lifts in a variety of configurations and when I decided to purchase one for my personal shop I chose a BendPak 4-post. I've had two of em now and never felt constrained. With my bad knees and back I hate getting down and adjusting the arms on a 2-post lift. The only reason I'd buy a 2-post lift now is if I had a Vette that required pulling the body off the chassis to get the drivetrain out. For that you need a 2-post lift -- for everything else I prefer a 4-post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also before making a decision on this test to see how thick the concrete is . I was thinking of getting a maxjack two post lift till I found out that my slab was to thin to safely use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a 4 post, you can do a complete suspension set up - alignment, corner weights, etc. It can be a bit difficult to get the engine in and out, though, with a standard hoist.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    I’m trying to decide on whether to purchase a 2 post or 4
    Post lift. I’ve built a Mark IV and will be building a Coupe in about a year. I like the idea of being able to move the lift (4post) but it seems that for building the coupe a 2 post would be provide more access and that a 4 post might actually get in the way of the build.

I’ve got plenty of room in the shop so that is not a deciding factor.

Could you build a car from start to finish on a 4 post lift without driving yourself nuts? I’m not really worried about storing cars on the lift... just really the build and ongoing maintenance. It’s really a question of liking the thought of being able to move the lift that is appealing.

Thoughts and sharing of experiences are appreciated
    Love my 4 post Direct lift. I like to do my own alignments which can't be done with a 2 post. Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one of each. Both from Bendpak. My primary concern when I got the 4 post was storage for the Cobra. With that being said I don't even consider putting the Cobra on the 2 post when I have any maintaining to do. I have the pneumatic jack on the 4 post that slides between the wheels and makes it extremely easy to get the wheels off the ramps. The only thing that gets a little more complicated is if I need to get all 4 wheels airborne at once. I have the HD9 series 4 post and the width between the ramps is wide enough that everything is accessible under the car. The wheels sit on the ramps with about an inch to spare to the inside of each wheel. Once the car is built I would say the 4 post allows easiest access to everything.
    To get the Cobra on the two post I would have to first raise the car enough for the arms to swing underneath the side pipes. That adds another step to getting the car lifted vs just driving it up on the ramps of the 4 posts.

As far as the ability to move the lift ask yourself how much you will actually want to move it. I have moved mine once and that was just because I was installing race deck flooring and needed to get the pieces under the corner post. Even on the castors it is a pain to move and you can only move it so far from your 220V source anyways. Of course 110v is an option on some lifts, bendpak included. If you do anticipate moving yours around you may consider a 110v motor. Only drawback is it goes twice as slow but that is only on raising it because it essentially gravity descends. Only uses the motor going up.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides