Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flipping the Upper Control Arms

Post Thanks / Like

Flipping the Upper Control Arms

I hear a lot about having to "flip" the upper control arms. With the grease fittings pointing up, they would appear to be correct for the right and left sides, no flipping required. Am I missing something here (very possible) that these would need to be changed from the way they were received from FFR?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to tell for sure in the pic but at least one of the threaded ball joint mounts looks like it’s the wrong way. When the ball joint threads in from the top, it should angle out away from the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Hard to tell for sure in the pic but at least one of the threaded ball joint mounts looks like it’s the wrong way. When the ball joint threads in from the top, it should angle out away from the car.
    This ^^
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If You Haven't Already Seen This Video, Then It Might Be Of Use To You:

https://youtu.be/oBJ5dKLrhoU

Hope This Helps & Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! I see what you are saying now, both of them had the ball joints pointing in, so I flipped them so the ball joints are now pointing out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chjort View Post
    Thanks guys! I see what you are saying now, both of them had the ball joints pointing in, so I flipped them so the ball joints are now pointing out.
    Just to clarify, you flipped only the ball joint plate right? You could flip the entire UCA but getting to the grease fittings on the inner ends won't be much fun
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Just to clarify, you flipped only the ball joint plate right? You could flip the entire UCA but getting to the grease fittings on the inner ends won't be much fun
    The pivots on the end of the cross arm are off center. If you left the zerks pointed the wrong direction the pivot on the end of the cross arm would be at the bottom versus at the top. Not an option for either reason.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just flipped the plate, the zerks are still pointed up. Thanks!