Greetings!

Just a couple of posts to share the 818 build school experience so that everyone (but especially those thinking about going) can get a better idea of what to expect for the three days. I'll start with a general overview and then move on to the day by day description.

Overview
First, this is a great "automotive" class and a ton of fun regardless of your build intentions. You have an opportunity to see how a car is put together from the frame up and should you choose to do so, actually do the work yourself. In a previous life I had spent a little bit of time around an IMCA modified race car and this was similar to that experience in that everything is exposed and easy to work on. You don't have to have a technical understanding of automobile repair as everything is bolted on--including the motor. Troubleshooting skills (or a friend or paid mechanic if you lack the skills) could be useful after everything is put together on your car, but they are not required for the class. In short, it's a fun class regardless of your skill level.

What to Expect
What you get out of the class depends on what your own talents and skills are. I see two different groups of people interested in taking this class and believe their expectations would fall into the categories below:
1. Low to medium technical people who want to see if they are capable of building the car. This group will definitely have the most fun as the experience will be more new.
2. Highly technical people who want to see what specific issues they should be aware of and pick up a few tips and tricks. It might not have the same "fun" factor as they probably have done something similar before. However, it should still prove quite useful for their particular build.

Miscellaneous
When you register you will receive a packet that answers many of the questions you might have had prior to enrolling in the class including where to stay and what meals are provided. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express closest to the school. I would recommend it simply because it is approximately 5 minutes away from the school and has the standard Holiday Inn breakfast which includes the "pancake printer". Lunch is provided by the school and snacks are included as well. I flew in the night before, but some folks elected to fly the red-eye and land the day of class. Of the two people who did this in our class, one was there before 8:00 AM and the other made it by 9:30 AM. I did not bring any mechanic's gloves, but there were times they might have been useful. It is purely a personal choice and some class members thought they were great while others did not care to use them.

I'll post the day by day descriptions in follow up posts as well as corresponding pictures. Please post your impressions on this class (or others) here as well.

Thanks,
Steven