Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: My Three Day 818 Build (School)

Post Thanks / Like

My Three Day 818 Build (School)

Greetings!

Just a couple of posts to share the 818 build school experience so that everyone (but especially those thinking about going) can get a better idea of what to expect for the three days. I'll start with a general overview and then move on to the day by day description.

Overview
    First, this is a great "automotive" class and a ton of fun regardless of your build intentions. You have an opportunity to see how a car is put together from the frame up and should you choose to do so, actually do the work yourself. In a previous life I had spent a little bit of time around an IMCA modified race car and this was similar to that experience in that everything is exposed and easy to work on. You don't have to have a technical understanding of automobile repair as everything is bolted on--including the motor. Troubleshooting skills (or a friend or paid mechanic if you lack the skills) could be useful after everything is put together on your car, but they are not required for the class. In short, it's a fun class regardless of your skill level.

What to Expect
    What you get out of the class depends on what your own talents and skills are. I see two different groups of people interested in taking this class and believe their expectations would fall into the categories below:
    1. Low to medium technical people who want to see if they are capable of building the car. This group will definitely have the most fun as the experience will be more new.
    2. Highly technical people who want to see what specific issues they should be aware of and pick up a few tips and tricks. It might not have the same "fun" factor as they probably have done something similar before. However, it should still prove quite useful for their particular build.

Miscellaneous
    When you register you will receive a packet that answers many of the questions you might have had prior to enrolling in the class including where to stay and what meals are provided. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express closest to the school. I would recommend it simply because it is approximately 5 minutes away from the school and has the standard Holiday Inn breakfast which includes the "pancake printer". Lunch is provided by the school and snacks are included as well. I flew in the night before, but some folks elected to fly the red-eye and land the day of class. Of the two people who did this in our class, one was there before 8:00 AM and the other made it by 9:30 AM. I did not bring any mechanic's gloves, but there were times they might have been useful. It is purely a personal choice and some class members thought they were great while others did not care to use them.

I'll post the day by day descriptions in follow up posts as well as corresponding pictures. Please post your impressions on this class (or others) here as well.

Thanks,
    Steven

2. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what we ended up building:
    IMG_0100.JPG

You know you are almost there when you see this sign:
    IMG_0010.JPG

The pancake printer:
    IMG_0090.jpg

Thanks,
    Steven

4. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First Day
    It had been a while since I last took a class, but the school experience came back pretty quick. I walked in the building and apparently looked lost as the public safety officer asked if I was there for build school and told me to turn right at the rocking chair when I said I was. It is a typical shop setting with four tables for the students and a larger table for the instructors, Scott and Todd in this case. I grabbed a seat and waited for class to start.

After introductions, we did not start on the car. Instead, we spent time discussing the ordering and delivery process. Some students had already ordered their kits so there was a comparison of shipping costs and backorder times. It was approximately $2000 to ship to California. When your kit comes, we were advised to inventory everything promptly as you might not get missing parts free of charge after a couple of years.

Friday was the only day we shared the shop as there was a welding class in the back corner. The grinding and arcing just contributed to the experience.

Finally we could start on the car! There were a few body panels left on that had to be removed, but once those were off we were left with nothing but frame. We tipped the frame on its side and started with the floor panels. One reason we were able to get everything done in 3 days is that some of the components were pre-assembled and most of the rivet and screw holes had been drilled by previous classes. Yes, the car is torn down and re-assembled for each class. After more aluminum (firewall, floor panels, etc...) we moved on to installing the front suspension.

It was then time for lunch. I had been expecting a cheap box lunch, but each day had a catered, hot lunch. On this day, we had pulled pork sliders with roasted potatoes, green beans, and salad. After a nice break, it was time to go back to class.

Rear suspension was installed and then came the first of the two things the students are not allowed to do for liability reasons--install the engine. It was a very tight fit, but eventually it went in. We bolted it down and then moved on to the pedal box. Hydraulic clutch and brake master cylinders were next on the list along with the steering wheel and fuel tank. And thus ended the first day of class. There was an optional exercise which most everyone elected to participate in -- a joint dinner at Cleary's Pub.

One thing I will note is that while everything went smoothly for the most part, there were a some "roadkill" moments where corrections were needed. We did put all the nylock nuts on correctly (!) and in spite of an anonymous team member reminding us, "a cross-thread is a tight thread", we did not cross thread any bolts. However, we did have a brake line issue that required bending and flaring a new line. Good preparation for the real thing. Other items that we ran into included switching the main fuel line and the return (caught before starting the engine), having issues with the gearshift installation, and a tire slightly rubbing on the radiator flexline.

These were all good reminders that the main point of the three days was... "this is your car and you may end up having to do things that no one else does." The manual, while extremely detailed, may not cover everything in your build and you will have to figure out a solution.

Thanks,
    Steven

6. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our instructors, Todd and Scott:
    IMG_0350.JPG

Attaching floor panels:
    IMG_0400.JPG

The right tool for the job:
    IMG_0450.jpg

Thanks,
    Steven

8. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parts were previously pulled from the donor car and pre-assembled:
    IMG_0501.JPG

And then we bolted them on:
    IMG_0550.jpg

A break for lunch:
    IMG_0930.jpg

Installing the engine:
    IMG_0962.jpg

We are done for the day!
    IMG_0994.jpg

10. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Second Day
    Saturday we started out by installing flexline and hardline for the radiator and then bleeding the brakes and the clutch slave cylinder. Wiring harness was next and then we broke for lunch. Baked chicken, corn, mashed potatoes and gravy along with salad was on the menu for today.

After lunch we put in the shifter, pulled it out, put it in again, and pulled it out a third time. Nothing serious, but just trying to get everything in place and working properly. Some more aluminum panels were installed (there are a lot!) so we drilled and riveted for a while. Somewhere in there we installed the intercooler as our donor car had the turbo, filled the radiator, and installed the dash. Finally the moment of truth came and the key was turned. By the instructor of course. The only other item that students aren't allowed to do is start/drive the car. Everything had been connected properly, including wiring and fuel lines, and the car started the first time. After some more miscellaneous work, it was time to call it a day.

12. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bolting more of the front end on:
    IMG_1005 _rotright.jpg

How to get radiator fluid from the front to the back:
    IMG_1008 - Copy.jpg

How to get your shifter connected from the front to the back:
    IMG_1023 - Copy.jpg

Turn the key!
    IMG_1036.jpg

Thanks,
    Steven

14. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Third Day
    On Sunday we started assembling the body panels. This included mounting headlights, tail lights, back up lights, etc... Doors then went on. As with other components, the doors had already been drilled and cut, so installation was somewhat easier. We tested the coupe top for looks and then removed it and went on with the open top body installation.

I had read that the body work could take up to 1/3 of the total time of a real build and was somewhat disbelieving until the class. To get it done right takes time. I still don't know if 1/3 is accurate but I do know that to get the body even, aligned, and tight will take a fair amount of time.

After lunch it was more body work. The hood went on and then the wheels. At close to 4:00 it was time for the instructors to make sure the car worked. It did, although we did hear some rubbing. Everyone stayed for pictures, both a group shot and in the car. We tried different seats to see what worked best and most people liked the high back Kirkey racing seats. Our certificates and class list were handed out and then it was time to say "goodbye" and drive to the airport.

Your experience may vary, but for me, it was well worth the money and time invested---and a lot of fun!

Thanks,
    Steven

16. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Installing the tail lights:
    IMG_1044.jpg

Still need to attach the hood:
    IMG_9600.jpg

Almost done:
    IMG_9700.jpg

We did it!
    IMG_9999.jpg

Thanks,
    Steven

18. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't mention everything that happened (e.g. wiring harness installation, dash, etc...) but it should give everyone a basic idea of the experience.

If you are interested, the class is available through Mott Community College in Howell, Michigan. There is a fee and at the time of this posting it is $799 (subject to change). You can get more details at the MCC website: https://www.mcc.edu/factoryfive/index.php.

This post is part of a response to a PM I received, so feel free to ask questions here so that everyone can see the answer.

Thanks,
    Steven

20. Likes Kiwi Dave, AZPete, Slyboots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, just a couple of questions for the build school,

-Does anyone happen to know if you can have another person just observe from a distance without being involved, or can only students be in the work area like a closed classroom?

-How detailed is the build? Do the instructors go over specifics and do they show most of the build progress?

-What is the ratio between hands on time and lecture time?

Answers greatly appreciated!

-Wynston

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Wynston,

I would call Mott Community College to see if non-students are allowed. I think there might be liability issues but you can check with them at: (517) 552-2163 or [email protected]

The build was very detailed but we were not able to prep everything. For example, you need to convert the car from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive. The instructors discussed how you would do that but we did not do the conversion ourselves. We did install the final assembly. Shocks and springs were already assembled as were the control arms. However, the instructors were very specific and detailed about what needed to be done. There was plenty of actual hands on time, but I couldn't give you the percentage. Some of the discussion was done at the car with the pieces that were about to be installed and some occurred during installation so it is hard to estimate.

Thanks,
    Steven