Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Need for Speed

Post Thanks / Like

The Need for Speed

0160ba1be5dd46ac300ad7b6556a11bed504105d07.jpg
    At the Goodguys Lonestar nationals in Fort Worth, TX I had the opportunity to drive my car on the Texas Motor Speedway. The pic shows the top peck speed reached (164 mph). the car was very stable. My only concern at that speed is the windshield and top staying attached. A photo of the car on the track can be seen at www.photosportsusa.com group 32 pic.
    The car is handles better and is faster than my Porsche 930 turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. That is nuts. On track I’ve clipped 130 on the track in my mk4 and the car was planted. How did it feel at 164?
    Last edited by scottiec; 10-15-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: on the track

Post Thanks / Like
    I came out of turn 2 at a 120+ wide open throttle down the back straight, roll off throttle to enter turn 3 & 4 very stable on the banked turns. the calculator show the car capable of 205 mph at 6500 rpm. It would fun run the car on the salt flats next year, I've had a 32 ford roaster with over 800 hp up to 286 mph. It takes a lot HP to go over 250 mph

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. I clicked on your link for a photo of the car but I can't figure out how to find it. This was a 33HR? Very interested in seeing a photo of the car and the drive train specs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Very cool. I clicked on your link for a photo of the car but I can't figure out how to find it. This was a 33HR? Very interested in seeing a photo of the car and the drive train specs.
    https://www.photosportsusa.com/proje...fort-worth-tx/

Look for Image 32-009 and you'll see the Red '33 HR with the tan ragtop.

At Road America I've had #007 up to ~130 on the track, but there's not enough room for 300 Hp to get much beyond that. These cars have a lot of Fun Potential and the chassis is excellent. I've considered building a new chassis and attempting to find a classic prototype body to fit to it. It's difficult to find something with as long a wheelbase as our '33s. I looked at Scarab, Devon SS and some others, but they'd all need to be stretched too much.
    https://revsinstitute.org/the-collec...-sports-racer/
    https://www.supercars.net/blog/devin-ss/

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    0160ba1be5dd46ac300ad7b6556a11bed504105d07.jpg
    ....... My only concern at that speed is the windshield and top staying attached.........
    Hi Joe,

When I was finishing the body of #007 we cut some steel from an old car door panel and made a giant "washer" for under the dash where the windshield attaches.

We glued it in place with modern automotive panel adhesive and then re-drilled the holes where the roadster screen attaches. That was back in 2009, and there's never been any problem with fatigue or other issues where the windscreen attaches. I also run with a ragtop and it seems fine at speed. I do run with my electric windows part way up to cut down on wind buffeting sometimes.

Track Day with Northwest Shelby Club - Road America, WI (running "Topless!")

Last edited by Tom Veale; 10-16-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom.
    I did something like that. I used a 3/8"X 2" aluminium flat bar bonded to the underside. My concerns is the number and size of the attachment studs. At 150 MPH I can not hold my arm out the window I can't imagine how much force is pushing against the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Re: attachment points for the roadster windscreen..............

If you dis-assemble the windscreen frame and take out the glass I believe you can drill/tap extra holes and add more studs similar to the ones already there. Not a bad idea, considering the new Texas high speed toll roads!
    :-)
    I have two studs on each end plus three more across the middle as shown.

PS: Did you do that run with the rear window in place or unzipped?
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 10-17-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear window was in place. I have to come up with some way tie it down when unzipped as it blows all over the place, was thinking of adding two or three snaps to hold it down on the waterfall