BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rivet nuts and access panels

Post Thanks / Like

Rivet nuts and access panels

I find myself needing access to the fuel pump via behind the passenger seat and wanting access to the tunnel with the cabling et. al. running through it.
    So I plan to replace the rivets with rivet nuts and screw/bolt the panels back into place for easier access.
    My questions are:
    1. Should I use aluminum or steel rivet nuts?
    2. Are rivet nuts sufficient or should I use something stronger like plus nuts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I should clarify, with regards to the fuel pump, I'll have to cut an access hatch, not remove the whole panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok I was going to say that just tap the frame and use button head screws , but since your cutting an Access hole I'd use aluminum rivenuts in the aluminum panel

Post Thanks / Like
    I used aluminum rivnuts all over the place (including at the rear firewall) and haven't had any issues. I would imagine steel rivnuts are a bit tougher to install (since steel is 3X stiffer than aluminum) and are more prone to galling with SS fasteners. FFR supplies you with a box of aluminum 1/4-20 rivnuts with the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you asked for opinions. Rivnuts and other such fasteners are for blind locations with no back side access. If you have access to both side of the metal a more appropriate fastener would be a nut plate. IMO, rivnuts and other blind fasteners in non blind locations are not indicative of a quality build.

MS21059.JPG
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the nut plates, I have used them on anyplace that I had access to the back of the panel to install them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    Since you asked for opinions. Rivnuts and other such fasteners are for blind locations with no back side access. If you have access to both side of the metal a more appropriate fastener would be a nut plate. IMO, rivnuts and other blind fasteners in non blind locations are not indicative of a quality build.

MS21059.JPG
    Where might I find these nut plates? I am getting close to being mounting my body panels and am investigating the best way to have the body panels attached but easily removable. I have been exploring dais fasteners and well nuts… but have been unwilling to comment due to the strength of fiberglass. I am also investigating pan buttonhead screws as an option when securing to the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aircraft spruce have them but for install You will also need ms470AD3-3 button head or ms426AD3-2 to -3 counter sunk solid rivets that you need to form a shop head on . Aluminum rivnuts will be fine with the low torque on the small fasteners either is fine.
    MK IV 427w Tkx IRS 17”s