FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member: Build Difficulty?

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Member: Build Difficulty?

Hey Guys,

New to this board, love FFR cars, the concept and very interested in possibly building my own. That being said, I'm not fully confident I'm capable of building one on my own or at least most of it.

So here is my experience. I've always worked on my own cars, with help of friends, pulled my own motor, rebuilt the bottom end over time and put it back together. If it's nuts and bolts, chances are, I can figure it out. When it comes to cutting, welding, custom work, full blown electronics (wiring), that's where I fall short.

So here is what I'm interested in building. I want to build a Type 65 Coupe R, but instead of a Ford engine, I want to put a LSX motor in it with a T56 or T6060. Essentially I want a badass, extremely fun street car that can tracked from time to time. Mind you I already drive a 800whp CTSV with a LSX and feel like its slow, so I like to party.

How much of doing a build like this would be custom work? Such as welding parts, custom cutting parts, custom making brackets, etc. I can cut panels that come with lines to cut and rivet them on, but definitely can't weld. I'm not worried about the suspension, hubs, brakes, brake lines.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have enough of a background to build one. There will be a couple things you will need to fab such as engine mounts and exhaust systems and there a people out there that can help with that.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice is buy one of the "COMPLETE KITS". The donor and non-complete cars tend to have a lot more guess work, if you will. Cutting, fab, etc, A complete kit will be all inclusive... no fab skill necessary other than reaming a hole, drilling for rivets, etc. Easy peasy, CTSVs-y! Good luck man!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Sounds like you have enough of a background to build one. There will be a couple things you will need to fab such as engine mounts and exhaust systems and there a people out there that can help with that.
    Good to hear - I watched pretty much every how to build video on FFR's YouTube page. Looking at others build threads, I definitely will need a professional for the engine mounts and obviously exhaust. If anyone knows of any aftermarket engine mounts to work with a LSx motor that's bolt on, I'd love to know. Cutting the mount off the frame, re-locating, aligning, welding, etc is not something I want to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    My advice is buy one of the "COMPLETE KITS". The donor and non-complete cars tend to have a lot more guess work, if you will. Cutting, fab, etc, A complete kit will be all inclusive... no fab skill necessary other than reaming a hole, drilling for rivets, etc. Easy peasy, CTSVs-y! Good luck man!
    Thank you! If I did move forward with this hopefully by next year, I would do the Type 65 Coupe R which I see is a complete kit.

If anyone reading this has a Type 65 in Georgia (Atlanta Metro) and wouldn't mind showing it to me and going for a spin (don't want to drive it), I'd love to see one in person! Gas money on me.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many people that have put LS engines in Cobra's, 33's and the occasional coupe.

One option you could to make it pretty is to have your frame not powder coated. This way if the motor mounts have to be re welded you can coat it afterwards and still have a good looking frame. Plus you get a choice if color if you don't like the white.

As far as building the car, I think you will be fine. There's plenty of help here and the other forum (FFCARS), which is what drew me across the line to jump in.
    Great bunch of people here

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If I Can Stuff A 383 SBC & ZF 6-Speed In A MK-4, Then You Most Certainly Can Pull Off An LS In The New Type 65 Coupe!

Just move the engine and transmission far enough forward to make the headers line up with the exhaust exit on the body.
    Simply grind off the powder coating where you need to weld up your new LS mounts and rattle can to match.
    Schoenfeld IMCA adjustable headers, part number 161-33LS1 would be a great starting point.

https://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/im...modified4.html

Good Luck & Go For It!

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

https://youtu.be/yL4UmpII9ek

https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-17-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    There are many people that have put LS engines in Cobra's, 33's and the occasional coupe.

One option you could to make it pretty is to have your frame not powder coated. This way if the motor mounts have to be re welded you can coat it afterwards and still have a good looking frame. Plus you get a choice if color if you don't like the white.

As far as building the car, I think you will be fine. There's plenty of help here and the other forum (FFCARS), which is what drew me across the line to jump in.
    Great bunch of people here

John
    I actually really like the white so I'll likely get it white and rattle can the rest.

After watching a ton of videos, I think it looks manageable. The wiring aspect of it kinda scares me, but I'll likely have a local shop do that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    If I Can Stuff A 383 SBC & ZF 6-Speed In A MK-4, Then You Most Certainly Can Pull Off An LS In The New Type 65 Coupe!

Just move the engine and transmission far enough forward to make the headers line up with the exhaust exit on the body.
    Simply grind off the powder coating where you need to weld up your new LS mounts and rattle can to match.
    Schoenfeld IMCA adjustable headers, part number 161-33LS1 would be a great starting point.

https://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/im...modified4.html

Good Luck & Go For It!

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

https://youtu.be/yL4UmpII9ek

https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk
    Thanks for sharing! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do it once I get my finances ready. Getting very excited about this!

The culture and help is pretty amazing in this community!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not going to get into the Ford vs. Chevy discussion. Lots of opinions both ways on that one. Do it how you want. Two comments: You mention you don't weld. I don't either. The couple times I've needed it, I have a shop down the street that takes care of me. But just to be clear, a stock build doesn't require welding. Or even much fabrication of any kind if you keep it stock. Second point -- have you seen the Coupe in person, including the R version? They're not particularly easy to get in and out of in the regular street version. The R version with bars through the middle of the door opening is much harder. Yes, the doors still open and close, but it's basically like climbing through the windows. Understand that's part of what's needed for a dedicated track car. But for a street car and occasional track use, unless there's a specific regulations issue, not sure I'd go there. For you and for anyone else you are planning to ride with you. For most significant others (or at least mine) that would be complete non-starter. Just saying.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'm not going to get into the Ford vs. Chevy discussion. Lots of opinions both ways on that one. Do it how you want. Two comments: You mention you don't weld. I don't either. The couple times I've needed it, I have a shop down the street that takes care of me. But just to be clear, a stock build doesn't require welding. Or even much fabrication of any kind if you keep it stock. Second point -- have you seen the Coupe in person, including the R version? They're not particularly easy to get in and out of in the regular street version. The R version with bars through the middle of the door opening is much harder. Yes, the doors still open and close, but it's basically like climbing through the windows. Understand that's part of what's needed for a dedicated track car. But for a street car and occasional track use, unless there's a specific regulations issue, not sure I'd go there. For you and for anyone else you are planning to ride with you. For most significant others (or at least mine) that would be complete non-starter. Just saying.

Agreed on all counts.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Ability To Fabricate Is Necessary In Order To Join The Dark Side!

Also, you can check out this thread to see a little of what will be involved.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ed-Coupe-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Yeah I'm just way more experienced in the LS world and all my friends are all LS guys. Not to mention, Lamar Walden Automotive does all my engine work and they do an outstanding job just gotta be patient.

Good to know about the comfort aspect. I definitely want to see one and ride in one before I make a purchase. I see you're in Lake Orion. I was there on the 4th with my girlfriends family. Would love to see yours in person one day if possible.

Thanks for all the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    The Ability To Fabricate Is Necessary In Order To Join The Dark Side!

Also, you can check out this thread to see a little of what will be involved.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ed-Coupe-Build
    Thanks for sharing! I've been following that thread as well and if I do this, I'm paying someone to do the engine mounting lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JChi View Post
    Yeah I'm just way more experienced in the LS world and all my friends are all LS guys. Not to mention, Lamar Walden Automotive does all my engine work and they do an outstanding job just gotta be patient.

Thanks for all the info!
    To piggy back wat EdwardB touched on... no one here will sway to toward Chevrolet or away, BUT: If you don't weld or do electrical, the easiest course is going to be a Ford engine as these kits were designed for them. The more you begin to mix and match, the more difficult (and expensive if you're not doing the work) this project will become. Also harder to trouble shoot. I was a Chevy guy for years, but I will admit this build has turned me into a "kit car" guy! I've discovered engines I didn't know Ford built, and all kinds of things in between. It's really opened my eyes to a much bigger world out there. Don't be scared to try something new, TONS of fun Ford power plants to pick from!

No matter which route you go, you will have tons of support from this forum all the way through. GOOD LUCK! Let us know when you click ORDER!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    To piggy back wat EdwardB touched on... no one here will sway to toward Chevrolet or away, BUT: If you don't weld or do electrical, the easiest course is going to be a Ford engine as these kits were designed for them. The more you begin to mix and match, the more difficult (and expensive if you're not doing the work) this project will become. Also harder to trouble shoot. I was a Chevy guy for years, but I will admit this build has turned me into a "kit car" guy! I've discovered engines I didn't know Ford built, and all kinds of things in between. It's really opened my eyes to a much bigger world out there. Don't be scared to try something new, TONS of fun Ford power plants to pick from!

No matter which route you go, you will have tons of support from this forum all the way through. GOOD LUCK! Let us know when you click ORDER!
    Appreciate the advice. I will certainly consider a Ford platform at the minimum.

Given your experience with both, here was what I was thinking motor wise and engine management. I was thinking a stock LS7 or just doing a 427 LSX and build from the ground up. As far as engine management goes, I'll likely do a Haltech or AEM standalone with one of their dash setups to have an all in one type gauge, speedo, RPM, etc. I know mounting the engine will be custom fab which is why I'll likely have a local shop do that part of the build. As far as electronics goes, I'll likely have someone do that as well. Would it be too hard to make the harness work with a LSx setup?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JChi View Post
    Appreciate the advice. I will certainly consider a Ford platform at the minimum.

Given your experience with both, here was what I was thinking motor wise and engine management. I was thinking a stock LS7 or just doing a 427 LSX and build from the ground up. As far as engine management goes, I'll likely do a Haltech or AEM standalone with one of their dash setups to have an all in one type gauge, speedo, RPM, etc. I know mounting the engine will be custom fab which is why I'll likely have a local shop do that part of the build. As far as electronics goes, I'll likely have someone do that as well. Would it be too hard to make the harness work with a LSx setup?
    You can use the For harness for all but the engine stuff, lights, etc. I did an LS3 in a 33 HR using the GM engine harness and FFR (Ron Francis) harness with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you want to avoid a lot of wiring and still join the Dark Side, then going New/Old School may be an option.
    You will just need the standard gauges, and standard Ron Francis wiring harness to get the job done.

https://paceperformance.com/i-238424...ve-covers.html

Whatever path you take, these guys and gals on this forum are supportive and extremely helpful.
    Best of luck to you and your future build.

Steve

PS: This set up even uses a Small Block Ford 302 Distributor!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-18-2018 at 05:29 PM.