BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Thinking FiTech EFI? - Say YES!

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking FiTech EFI? - Say YES!

For those who are considering it....I just wanted to say that I really enjoy the Fitech system that I have on my 302. I have the Go Street 400hp version. Runs great, always starts, has good response, blah blah blah.

But what it really does, is give me freedom to drive my car when I may not be able to do so in other cases.

Example: This morning. I drive my car out of the house very early in the morning sometimes. I don't want to bother the neighbors, and the EFI helps with that. I get in the car at 5:30am, buckle up, open the garage door, turn the key to the on position two times (to get a double shot of the prime gas), then start the car. The car starts right up, and I can immediately roll out of the garage and get out of the neighborhood before frowned upon. Just like my DD.

Here's the difference: I have another car in the garage that has a carburetor, and it's a completely different story. I need to have the garage door open as I try to start the car. With the mechanical fuel pump trying to help out the engine slowly considers coming to life. After holding the key in the start position for what feels like too much time, it will start chugging and sputtering for a bit, and it finally idles with a high enough rpm that I can get it out of the fume filled garage. That's not to say that I can drive it yet, but at least it's in fresh air. Once the car has idled in the driveway for a few minutes I can give it some gas to feel out how she's feeling this morning. Eventually she's gets in the mood to be driven and we're off. Neighbors would be furious with me if I did that at any other time than the 10:30am beautiful Saturday morning I normally get her out.

All that being said, I love the fact that i don't need to tune the Fitech. Don't need to give it any love or attention. Not concerned about elevation change or temperature. It's all business and not quirky. My unit was $795 which I felt was a great purchase.

7,5XX miles on the car, and running strong.

2017-01-27_10-38-09 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

2. Likes Yama-Bro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, glad to hear it’s working for you. My experience is the same, several thousand miles with no issues. Mileage, drivability all are vast improvement over my old Powerjection unit.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have FiTech on both the Boss and the 87GT. The only tweak I've had to make was because the rpm was dropping too fast when clutched and off the gas and the engine would sometimes die. This was easily done and now runs great. Not many miles on the Go-Cart, tho...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    So if I wanted to ditch the carb, this would do it ? And what about distributor ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice to hear good things on the FiTech unit. I have begun a 33' build with SBC and don't want a carb for all the reasons an EFI conversion offers.. Have a good mechanic/hot rod friend who has done many conversions with FiTech unit with excellent results and NO problems. BUT, then I keep hearing Many Good things about the Holley Sniper unit. Maybe that is the better way too go???? Very much on the fence but will have to decide in next month or so.......

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a summit ready to run distributor with my stock 302. To switch from carb you'd need to change fuel lines to efi lines (58psi) and introduce a fuel pump to get that psi. Also need a return to tank line if you don't have one already. I'm probably forgetting to comment on a couple of other items.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    To follow up DadofThree, if you have a mechanical fuel pump for the carb you would need an electrical fuel pump to feed the EFI, or fuel sump tank (I think Fitech calls it the Fuel commander) which allows you to keep your mechanical pump but you just have to redo the plumbing. If you already have an electric pump, then you would need to swap it out for something that can carry the PSI the EFI needs, or install the sump tank.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyAndy View Post
    Nice to hear good things on the FiTech unit. I have begun a 33' build with SBC and don't want a carb for all the reasons an EFI conversion offers.. Have a good mechanic/hot rod friend who has done many conversions with FiTech unit with excellent results and NO problems. BUT, then I keep hearing Many Good things about the Holley Sniper unit. Maybe that is the better way too go???? Very much on the fence but will have to decide in next month or so.......
    I'm going the Holley Sniper Route, why? just because maybe it's because the Holley name has been around for so long and I identify with it but I've read good things about both. Haven't researched the FiTech unit but things I like about the Sniper - built in fuel regulator, can control the timing, can provide rev limiting. I've bought the Holley HyperSpark ignition package which includes the distributor, coil, and a simple CD type ignition module. They are all connectorized to plug into each other simply - plug and play. The distributor has no mechanical or vacuum advance mechanisms, all controlled by the Sniper. It will be awhile before I can report how well it all works - still waiting for the engine components to be delivered as well as my HR kit.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the FiTech EZ Street 600 on my 331 sbf. I had some driveability issues with it and finally checked the intitial timing my builder had set. It was WAY off ... when I set the correct timing (34 degrees at 3,000 rpm), the driveability issues disappeared! I'm very happy with the system, 20 mpg on the freeway. My model of the FiTech does not have ignition timing control, but does have rad. fan control and rev limiter. 3,500 miles on it so far.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***