Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Painting help request - metal mill resto and no idea painting order and products

Post Thanks / Like

Painting help request - metal mill resto and no idea painting order and products

Posted on the 'other' forum but wanted to post here for ideas from people who aren't over there...

Some may have seen I'm restoring an old Bridgeport mill that was set up as a CNC conversion before being decommissioned at a machine shop. I've got it disassembled and the paint and filler removed, but I realize I'm at a bit of a loss for painting in a way that will look good and last.

I've seen 1k primer, 2k primer, bondo, slick sand, sealer, epoxy enamel, strange chemical compounds of stuff, and the list goes on.

I've wire wheeled all the filler off and removed the rust. Now I'm doing Zep Purple degreaser to pull the oil out and off of the casting, but not sure what comes next. Primer then slick sand? Bondo and slick sand then primer? Stuff and then sealer? My head spins trying to follow other resto forums and everyone seemingly doing a different procedure.

Can anyone give me some pointers and advice on the steps and order?

Pic of progression and status of machine:

Thanks a bunch in advance!
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Hit it with primer, 1 or 2k will achieve the same result, and then I'd shoot it with acrylic enamel. Single Stage. Something heavy and durable.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I restored a Sanford surface grinder some years ago, and have been restoring antique tractors the last several years. I like to apply an epoxy primer directly to metal surfaces as the first step to protect the metal for the next steps. You can then apply body filler over the primer after scuffing a bit first. For a really smooth finish apply a high build primer to fill any small imperfections and sand smooth. Before applying paint, seal the surface with a thinned out coat of epoxy primer. For painting machine tools I like Dupont industrial Imron. A bit pricey but very good stuff.
    MkIV Complete Kit #9423, Gen 3 Coyote, TKO-600, IRS Torsen 3.73, Wilwoods, DA Konis - Delivered 9/14/18