Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: FFR Side Mirror

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Side Mirror

Is the FFR side mirror housing and base all metal or is there some plastic used?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all metal with a black plastic gasket. There's also a plastic cup between the mirror and the housing that allows for adjustability, but you'll never see it.

You didn't ask, but I'll add that the mirror is next to useless. Unless you are dead set on the look, I'd look for a solution that provides better visibility. Me, I am going with https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...m-made-in-usa/

John

IMG_5058 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

3. Likes Mark Reynolds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ what fogg said.
    and.. also along with what he said.. if you really love the provided (and in my opinion useless) mirror.. have at it!
    But, for not much money, I went with these mounted low on the window frame. They actually work really well.
    driver side: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WPNZGM/
    pass side: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGHNIXI/
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    ^ what fogg said.
    and.. also along with what he said.. if you really love the provided (and in my opinion useless) mirror.. have at it!
    But, for not much money, I went with these mounted low on the window frame. They actually work really well.
    driver side: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WPNZGM/
    pass side: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGHNIXI/
    You have a picture of them mounted? I think I like the look, and I really like the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't....... but I do now!

2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

7. Thanks Misterfubar thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the mirrors that I purchased for $29.00 along with how they look (in the video)

HTH, Dave
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

9. Thanks Misterfubar thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. Those look the same as mine, and a few $ cheaper. Is one of them convex? The pass side one I grabbed is convex. Helps a bit on people on my blind spot.

Making it up as I go. JJ in Cbus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same or very similar mirrors as Skidd except I got them from Speedway Motors. Flat mirrors on both sides. You still need to keep your head on a swivel, but they do help keep an eye on things. Far more useful option than the mirrors in the kit.
    We're All Here, 'Cause We're Not All There.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    Is one of them convex? The pass side one I grabbed is convex. Helps a bit on people on my blind spot.
    Mine are not convex. That would be a nice addition
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    The mirror is small, and of course not as good as the truck sized mirrors that modern cars have. They are not useless IF you set them correctly. Most people set their side view mirrors so that they can see a little bit of the rear of their car. Mirrors are for seeing other cars, not your own. They need to be pointed way further out than most people think. If you can see the car in more than one mirror at a time, you are wasting the mirrors. And, if you do not turn your head and look before you change lanes, it is just a matter of time before something bad happens.

I read an article years ago from a race car driver (can't remember who) about setting mirrors correctly and it makes a huge difference. Give this a try:

Lets say that you are in the middle lane slowly pass a car on the right (I know, you shouldn't. but for example), Then he changes lanes behind you and passes you on the right. Here is what should happen:
    1. as the car is leaving your peripheral vision on the left, it is entering your left side mirror (because you have it pointed out further than you used to).
    2. Right as the car is leaving the left side view, he is entering the rearview.
    3. As he leaves the rearview, he enters the right side view, on cars that have them.
    4. As he leaves the right side view, he enters your right peripheral vision.
    5. You then give it some gas and leave him far behind.

That being said. The best way on these cars, is to use another car on your driveway. Pull up and do the steps 1-3. Then always look over your shoulder like you are supposed to when you are driving, and you will be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The sideview mirrors Breeze offers are 10 times more expensive

And worth every penny

Note: convex glass, mounts inside windwing, adjustable by hand yet stays put, and look like they are made for the car. Check out the field of view in the thumbnail photo.

https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...m-made-in-usa/
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang Mark ! Them are some "Uptown " mirrors.....I like em ! They are expensive. Hooooooowever. It is a one time cost. Factory supplied meets the letter of the law. Finish Lines frame mount is a little better (I stick a Pep Boys Fish Eye on them) you can't see what is coming but at least you know somethin is back there. The most vulnerable I have ever felt driving is in my roadster (I also ride motorcycles) The more I know about what is coming or beside me the happier I am. I like those Breeze Mirrors..... I would like to say I am not being compensated be Breeze in any fashion or form (but I'm getting my new car hint hint) ok, I'll just go look at myself IN MY NEW CONVEX MIRRORS FROM BREEZE ! ...still no?...….You SUCK !.....sorry you had to see that...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    ...They are not useless IF you set them correctly...
    For me and lots of others, the problem is that the F5-provided mirror does not have enough adjustment to give me the visibility I need AND have the mounting post square to the car. I could skew the mounting post so that it runs diagonally to the car and get the visibility I need. But in my opinion that would just look out of place and wrong.

Of course, your seat choice, body position, and height may be different from mine, and so you may have better luck. If you haven't painted the car yet, go ahead and drill a couple of holes and mount the mirror. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky few for whom the F5 mirror works. If not, those holes can easily be filled during bodywork/paint.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine from JEGS. They have 3" and 4", flat or convex. I highly recommend the 4" convex.
    John