Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote stumble on acceleration

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote stumble on acceleration

In a hot rod. Frpp controls pack Gen 2. CMCV'S disconnected and tied open. Factory mass air meter in place just hanging. No air filter. 4 unused vacuum ports plugged (the evap canister purge point, the empty point in TB that went to the cmcv's, the old sound tube point and the empty vac point on outside of the elbow inlet to TB).

Car starts and idles fine. Get going and does OK and very small throttle inputs. Try to be more aggressive and it starts cutting up. Like at about 1/4 throttle. Almost sounds like running on half-6 of the cylinders. Back off and smooths out. Only got up to 20 mph or so. The check engine light is not on.

Any insight? Ford says its the lack of inlet box and air filter. Could it be? Not sure I have room to attach it to test. I'm also going to double check my plugs in the vac fittings. But quick check says they OK.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found the mass air meter to be very finicky. Put he air cleaner on and see if it improves. Also I found the mass air meter worked best if it was straight up at 12 oclock
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine did the same thing and ford said it was because of the free flowing exhaust and cai. Had Lund send a tune and now runs perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tune x2. I'd finish off the car and configure the engine the way you intend to operate it then get the ECU tuned. My preference would be a custom tune from a shop with the car on a chassis dyno.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This may be nothing but did you calibrate the accelerator ? I did a first start last weekend on my coyote and I noticed that the engine would stumble as I was advancing the pedal. I read that the accelerator needed to be calibrated. Basically turn on the ignition then slowly press the pedal all the way to the floor, then back again, then turn off the ignition. Not sure if this will help your case but it definitely cured my problem.

mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Jimland is going to loan me his spectre intake that works great on his car. He hasn't nixed the cmcv's but IL try it. Just to see. I'm going to get a tune but was hoping to do it once once the blower is on. If I have to twice, we'll so be it. Don't think the big factory air box is gonna fit.

Lewma, I'll try that also. I did accidentally start it once without it plugged in. Maybe that freaked it out. Worth a shot for sure.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a combination of things. The intake box missing def had something to do with it. I added the factory box and filter. The other problem was even though it showed. 1/4 tank of gas, it was empty. The pickup is too short. I filled gas and added the box and other than the occasional stumble possible due to still being cold, and not having cmcvs hooked up, runs great. Thanks guys. I never would have thought that would make that much difference.

I taint pretty, but it helped trouble shooting.

Soon, all that is coming off to be replaced with a Whipple belt driven intake.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster