Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power Steering Fluid Capacity?

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering Fluid Capacity?

Getting very close to the first start. As soon as FF sends me a backordered radiator. Does anyone remember what the fluid capacity of the power steering pump and rack is?

Louis

Post Thanks / Like
    Louis,

Just installed mine and filled it for first start. Ran it, turned it off and added more. started a couple times and did the same with no steering wheel movement. Then turned the steering wheel lock to lock and have refilled. Took about 3/4 of a quart. Note: I'm using AN lines from the rack to pump, not the ones supplied with the kit. They make take a bit less fluid.

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    And FYI, the coolant system took exactly 4 gallons with getting all the air out and have a larger overflow tank 1/4 full.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve. Just what I was looking for!

Post Thanks / Like
    The best way to fill a rack is with the engine off. Jack the front up, fill, turn the wheels full lock each way until there are no more bubbles and the level stays steady, filling as needed. You aerate the fluid less that way.
    Then run and re-check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    The best way to fill a rack is with the engine off. Jack the front up, fill, turn the wheels full lock each way until there are no more bubbles and the level stays steady, filling as needed. You aerate the fluid less that way.
    Then run and re-check.
    That's exactly what I did to fill mine.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Then run and re-check.
    Great tips guys. Thanks. I had no issue with any foaming. Maybe the Motorcraft Type F fluid? it is very resistant to foaming.