FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What are you using to protect rear fender

Post Thanks / Like

What are you using to protect rear fender

What are you guys using to protect the front of your rear fender/Flares from getting all chipped up, on my last roadster I bought something from a vendor that was like a pre-cut black durable stick on type. Can't seem to find it now.
    Thx, Don

Post Thanks / Like
    I got some cleartastic plus it’s like Xpel but has a much milder adheasive so it can be removed with out the risk of paint damage. I had to cut it myself and I used the Finish line ones as a template but obviously I changed it a bit as the finish line ones don’t fit our cars perfectly. I also doubled up the bottom 4” of the fender near the pipe for extra protection. The stuff is easy to use and is almost invisible. Plus they stay in place unlike the finish line ones (lost one on the first 10min highway trip).
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same experience with the ********** cling ones. I wanted the old school look, so I made a set, some vinyl with synthetic felt glued on the back and Velcroed in place.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Every so often I spray Plastidip to protect the fenders. When it doesn’t look good, I just peel it off, mask, and respray.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Made my own template and use the 3M product and it works really well. Spray some soapy water on first and you can position it exactly and squeegee the bubbles out. Within a week, all the remaining bubbles will dissipate. Home Depot sells a window tinting accessory kit with spray and most importantly, a soft rubber squeegee that works perfect.

Going to try dragon skin fake carbon fiber film after my current film gets old...

I still have a template if you want one.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys I thought it was just find the vendor and order, no problem I can make some out of the carbon Fiber material. Also didn't know there was a difference from Mk II to MKIV
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this for Superformance: http://www.autotrimdesign.net/Superf..._Kit_Cobra.asp

Seems like some 3M film and a template would be way cheaper. Anyone have a soft copy of a template that can be e-mailed?

Edit:

I also came across this: https://www.amazon.com/PaintArmorDIY...rotection+film

I may order some of the clear and try it on something like my trailer fenders to see how it works.
    Last edited by Papa; 10-21-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I think very cool parts has them not sure if he has them for all the body styles

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll go look for my template if anyone is interested...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    I’ll go look for my template if anyone is interested...

Chris
    I'd be interested if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks,
    Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You bet, I’ll look for it this morning.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I'd be interested if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks,
    Dave
    PM sent Dave,

Chris