Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: autometer speedo help with coyote

Post Thanks / Like

autometer speedo help with coyote

I started my build in June 2018 and tomorrow I'm going for the dreaded Florida DMV inspection to get it registered as a ASPT, what could go wrong???
    I got my temp tag today so that was a win and I am ready for my inspection although I can't get the speedo calibrated.
    From what I understood I don't use the green and grey wires of the Ron Francis harness or the Tremec speed sensor but instead use the green and grey wires that came with the coyote wiring that are part of the coil/crank harness.
    When I go to calibrate the speedo everything does what it is supposed to do (it even counts the pings while I'm driving the 2 miles like it's supposed too) but when I hit the button after the 2 mile drive, nothing, it doesn't work.
    Not much info online and some contradictory advice to confuse me more.
    Any advice is welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your non-GPS Autometer speedo gauge (assuming that's what you have) has to get the pulse from the speed sensor in the transmission. Not the engine. Not sure what Coyote wiring you're referring to. But there's no connection between the Coyote and the speedo gauge. Tach, yes. Speedo, no.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    It works! I used the speed sensor wires on tranny and the RF harness but the grey wire must be grounded, not hooked up to speedo "out" connector (nothing goes to that)
    The RF harness also has a set of speedo wired for EFI but after looking at wiring diagram they are connected to the other speedo wires so not sure what they are for, i just capped them off.
    My speedo now says i have 358 miles??? is there any way to calibrate the miles? and every time i calibrate the speedo will it go back to 0 (or in my case 358)?
    This type of speedo does not use the red memory/clock wire correct?