FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #1104 Steve's 33 Rod Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Driver's side IRS done.

Seasoned builders, please let me know if you see anything that doesn't look quite right.

BUILD TIP: Take the spindle and trial fit it to the LCA and toe adjustment arm first before putting the CV axles in place. It's much harder to spread the mounting tabs to fit the spindle while having to hold the CV out of the way. Once you've got the tabs spread apart enough then put the CV axle in place and connect the LCA, etc permanently.

IMG_2558a.jpg

IMG_2559a.jpg

IMG_2560a.jpg

IMG_2561a.jpg
    Last edited by FF33rod; 12-02-2018 at 12:12 AM.

2. Thanks erlihemi thanked for this post
    Likes Chris C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since I didn't go to the build school, I really appreciate these tips! Keep em coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been working on the front suspension, a lot of powder coating to do. Will post a pic or two when it's all together. BUT, in the mean time, I picked up the wheels & tires today. Super pleased with how they look. Went full on for the rears, 18 x 11 with 315s. Tony confirmed it should fit but man it's going to be close.
    IMG_2581a.jpg IMG_2583a.jpg

5. Likes wrp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking wheels! What are they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Cant tell you how long I agonized over the decision. Anyone else make lists of options in word or excel day after day? Valvecovers were even harder. Anyway, these are Foose Coupe F238
    Last edited by FF33rod; 12-18-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Anyone else make lists of options in word or excel day after day?

Yes! I have a spread sheet with multiple tabs in it for my build. One tab was for nothing but wheels and tires, photos of cars with tire specs, links to web sites, and prices and sizes. Took me over a year to finally figure out what I really wanted. I now have the tires waiting on the wheels, which have been ordered and I am just waiting on them to be delivered.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

9. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    okay, busy time of year with family and friends. I'm kinda the main cook in the family, at least for large family feasts so there hasn't been a ton of time for the rod. The front suspension is all powder coated except for the upper arms as they are too big to fit into the Eastwood oven. So I've moved on to other things including working on the firewall. Some interference in fitting the 3 firewall pieces - the welds are bulging out in the odd spot.

Here's a pic of the lower firewall, drive side. Note how it can't sit flat against the frame.
    IMG_2605a.jpg

here's a couple of pics with the interference areas circled
    IMG_2606a.jpg IMG_2607a.jpg

So some grinding is necessary. Also put a chamfer in some areas of the aluminum to help with the fit, rather than take away more of the weld.
    IMG_2608a.jpg

Fits much better now
    IMG_2610a.jpg

Using a laser level to ensure everything is symmetrical, first leveled out the chassis and now marking the firewall pieces so they end up mounted level as well.
    IMG_2611a.jpg

11. Likes Chris C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's interesting to see what parts you didn't get vs mine, since we got our cars delivered(1102) on the same day. Scott just stopped by and dropped off my new roof and waterfall this morning. Looks much better than the first one.

13. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does your frame have the straight top rail in the door opening, or does it drop down in front like the Gen 2 design? Mine drops like the Gen 2, but the body and floor panels are Gen 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have #1095 delivered mid Sept 17' and the chassis Has the drop door opening but the body does Not. I am not near the body work yet but planning ahead I think I will cut the fiberglass and make my body match the chassis. I am not an expert at glass work but have done a little in the past. ALSO, I notice the newest version of 33's have functional louvers on side engine panels. Always liked louvers and considering adding them to my side panels but have no idea how to get there. Yet. They can be only cosmetic but functional would be nice too. Any ideas out there? I have done internet search and found very little, at least in fiberglass. I guess I could get new side panels if they are available.

Post Thanks / Like
    They work very good to get heat out, was going that way but now have opening under and around turbos.

17. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Does your frame have the straight top rail in the door opening, or does it drop down in front like the Gen 2 design? Mine drops like the Gen 2, but the body and floor panels are Gen 1.
    Frame drops at the door but like yours, body is Gen 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I asked FFR and they told me that louvered side panels are planned for the 32 and 33 style grill. No availability date yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12