FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Graduation for MK4 #8641 (1 of 3)

Post Thanks / Like

Graduation for MK4 #8641 (1 of 3)

It’s with a mixture of joy and sadness that I submit MK4 #8641 for graduation. Joy because, well…just look at the thing! Sadness because this means the end of what has been a rewarding and fulfilling journey. One door closes, another one opens…

Would like to start by acknowledging the good folks that helped along the way, particularly the folks that participate in this forum. Kleiner, Miller (more on him later), Edwardb, DaleG, carlewms, cgundermann, to name just a few. Hard to say how many times you all saved me from myself. Thanks for keeping a rookie builder out of trouble.

Also should acknowledge the handful of really outstanding vendors that supplied superior parts and equally superior support to go with. Mark at Breeze, Mike at Replica Parts, Russ at Russ’s Roadster Shop, Chris at Dark Water Customs. I should have just ordered one of everything Mark sells, as I think I ended up there anyway. Pretty much the same with Mike.

MK4 kit #8641 received in July of 2015. Almost exactly 3 years to the day to get the car on the road, licensed, titled, and registered. No record build time here to be sure, but not too bad considering I’m still chained to a desk for 40+ hours every week. My goal was to build a modern interpretation of the original car. Not an exact replica per se, but a car that’s true to the original while incorporating modern updates (fuel injection, big brakes, keyless start, etc.). I’m particularly happy with how the engine came out. Because of the clever way Pro-M is able to hide the MAF sensor within a standard looking air cleaner, the motor appears like an old school carbureted mill. But it’s a full computer-controlled, port injected, OBD-II compliant, fuel and spark controlled wolf in sheep’s clothing.

On to the specs.

MK4 complete kit
    Independent rear suspension w/3.55 gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, and Ford Racing girdle
    Wilwood brakes, 12.88” front, 12.19” rear, w/remote balance bar adjuster
    Ford Racing Z427 w/Pro-M EFI engine management system
    TKO600 5-speed transmission w/McLeod mid shifter & Hurst line lock
    Bodywork & paint by Jeff Miller
    Paint protection film & ceramic coating
    Full leather interior w/competition dash including glovebox & keyless start
    Koolmat insulation applied over entire cockpit
    Heater w/electronic control valve
    Breeze quiet pipes, top & bottom radiator mounts, radiator shroud, radiator hard tubes, seat mounts, front battery mount, dead pedal, alternator fuse kit, and wind wing side mirrors
    Replica parts radiator aluminum, under dash panel, shifter and seat belt trim rings, roll bar and windshield trim plates, firewall support, trunk support kit, steering shaft bezel, and shifter boot
    Watson’s Streetworks LED headlights
    Russ Thompson turn signal system
    Earl’s 13-row oil cooler w/braided stainless lines
    Alex’s wheel well liners
    Schroth Profi II ASM FE (cam lock) 4-point Racing harnesses
    Bluetooth sound system
    Powder coated Halibrand replica wheels w/ Goodyear Eagle F1 tires
    Fully carpeted trunk
    Rear quick jack delete

1st most asked question: does it have a 427?
    2nd most asked question: who did the paint?

So on the subject of paint. Decided to send the car to Jeff Miller to have him work his magic. Decided to have him go ahead and mount the windshield as well. So as he’s reassembling the car after paint he cuts his hand on something behind the dash. Not really a cut so much as a scratch. He sends me this photo.

As I said, really just a scratch. But he’s going on and on about how my car just ruined his life. I tell him, Geez, man - rub some dirt on it. And then I get this photo back.

Check out how reflective the paint is, he says. Yeah, uh-huh, looks great, Jeff. Wait a minute - is he...? And so we now have photographic proof that, at Miller Customs, the customer is always # 1.

Customer service aside , the quality of the paint job speaks for itself. To my eye the roadster body style is simultaneously curvy, pretty, and bad azz. And I think black has a way of accentuating all those things at the same time. Jeff really came through with a basically flawless application of a color that is commonly acknowledged to be one of the most difficult to do well. Extremely happy with how it turned out. Jeff…you’re # 1, too, buddy!

The photos.

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641
    Complete Kit with IRS, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, 3.55 gears, Wilwood Brakes
    Ford Racing Z427 w/ Pro-M Sequential Port EFI System
    TKO 600 + McLeod Midshifter; Fast Freddie's Electro-Hydraulic power steering
    Miller Customs Bodywork & Paint

2. Thanks carlewms thanked for this post
    Likes MVRight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Continued from above...

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Continued from above...

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Continued from above...

As I would like to give something back as a measure of appreciation for all the people who have helped me along the way, I offer up the following.

1. Revised body buck drawings. I know many folks have no use for a body buck and are perfectly content to set the body on the floor and not worry about it. For everyone else, an update to the body buck drawings to match the contour of the MK4 body may be of use (the plans provided in the MK4 build manual are outdated and are actually for the MK3). Now maybe it doesn’t matter all that much, but if you’re gonna build a buck from scratch, it’s no harder to build it with the right profile than it is to build it with the wrong profile. Updated drawings can be found here: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Rear-Body-Buck

2. Steering rack setup: MK4 build manual is a little lacking on the specifics regarding how to properly set up the roadster steering rack. There is interaction between the rack, the front end alignment, the steering wheel alignment, the steering shaft position, and the number of turns center to full-lock-left and full-lock-right that isn’t immediately obvious. This thread fills in some detail that the build manual leaves out: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...etup-Procedure

3. Pinion angle: In my estimation, this is the single most misunderstood topic in all of roadster-land. The term ‘pinion angle’ is a large part of the problem, as proper driveline setup should involve more than just looking at the pinion angle. This may help de-mystify: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Pinion-Angle)

Time to see what’s beyond that other door. Thinking something with a bow-tie and a 572 big-block…

Carry on,

-Karl
    October 2018
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Bad-*** and beautiful. What a great combination.
    You really did a nice job with this one. Go enjoy it now.
    Let us know where you drop that 572.
    -Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 10-20-2018 at 12:23 AM.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Spectacular looking build. Congrats and enjoy many miles.

I really like how you blacked out the wheels, pipes, and roll bars yet left the chrome accents on the windshield and head/ tail light bezels and some interior bits. Really a sharp looking combo.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning, absolutely stunning. I usually don't comment on other people's builds but this one is beautiful. Great job.

Post Thanks / Like

You did an Amazing Job....

WOW, Fantastic....

Thanks for what you left for everyone to learn from and aspire to...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Very nicely done. Love what you did with the engine and hid all the EFI stuff. It is one of the things I don’t like about EFI is the additional clutter. Paint looks fantastic and the blacked out wheels and rollbar is really nice.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Karl! Now go enjoy putting some miles on

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Are you a member of Mile-Hi Cobra Club?
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I echo the other comments - your car looks amazing! Nicely done!

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta tell ya I was a little worried when you started with the whole "one door closes , one door opens" CAUSE I'M PRETTY DARN SURE BOTH DOORS WERE WORKING PROPERLY WHEN IT LEFT THE SHOP ! but I digress.....car looks awesome brother, thanks for the props....just think how it would look if I liked you.....STILL # UNO !! lol...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ! Karl ! One mans scratch is another mans "coup de gras" SO DON'T TRY TO MINIMIZE THE DAMAGE TO MY BODY ! ok, it was more of a scuff on my old man thin skin.....But when I go into hysterics there is just no consoling me. "Rub some dirt on it" he says......and then what ! WASH IT OFF WITH A GARDEN HOSE !.....and then what ? Ride my Stingray in the neighborhood until the street lights come on......OOOOOHHHHHH! MY MOM USED TO TELL ME TO "RUB DIRT ON IT".....it,s all flooding back ! NOT !..da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely stunning! I'm getting ready to order a Mk4 kiit myself, and I've been debating some aesthetic choices. I was pretty set in my mind that it was going to be either red or blue with white stripes and polished roll bars and side pipes. Then... I showed these pictures to the family and after we all stopped drooling enough to compose ourselves the whole family unanimously said "DO THAT!" OK then, black it is. Very well done sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    Karl ~

I’m not sorry I triggered or guilted you in to posting your graduation photos (I thought I had missed them). I got tell you, it’s absoluty gorgeous and as you know - I’m totally into the blacked out Batman look. Speaking of that, Miller usually has accidents when he’s drinking, so I’m glad your paint turned out so well...you don’t want to know what was reflected on my paint’s cut/polish pic...

As I imagined, your build was extremely meticulous and lots of really nice quality touches and great ideas. I like the look of the rear quick jack delete, it really accuenates the rear hips. Like Scott mentioned, the satin wheels, roll bar and pipes, but - with the splash of chrome up top plays really well. The leather interior and how you finished the front cowl opening and rear trunk is flawless. Great job hiding the Pro-M Racing wiring to keep that old school look. Perfect craftsmanship...my heart belongs to my Medusa, but your girl is a stunning head turner!

The red button on your shifter, nitrous some day? I ordered my knob from Speed Dawg and saw those...they're cool - I was tempted...

I hope you are having a blast driving it - it NEVER gets old!

Congratulations my friend,

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 10-20-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous ride.

Nicely done.

Congrats.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Black may be difficult, but your car shows that done well black highlights every elegant element. I hope you have many years of pleasure. Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    What a beautiful car, the paint is amazing.. enjoy the ride,
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Comments much appreciated. Thanks all. I'll try to hit all the questions.

Steve: Where will I drop that 572? On my foot, most likely. Real Deal Steel makes brand new reproduction Camaro bodies. Make mine a 1969. Will end up being titled as an assembled vehicle, just like this one.

Scott: Thank you. Thought about powder coating some of the chrome bits, but chrome is not the easiest stuff to remove. Decided to go with a mixture of black and chrome and to try to tie it all together. Pretty happy with the outcome.

Dave: Not a member of the Mile High Cobra club yet, but I owe you all a debt of gratitude for pushing through the legislation to exempt assembled vehicles from the state emissions requirements. Cause I gotta tell you, this thing would never pass!

Bat: Thanks for the visual. Please tell me you don't wear spandex when you cruise the neighborhood on your Schwinn.

Chris: Thanks for the push to finally get some photos posted. The red button is for the roll control (line lock). Allows me to liquefy the rear tires without any need of nitrous
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Like A Future Best In Show Winner To Me!

....Congratulations On An Over The Top, Yet Tastefully Executed MK-4!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-21-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    Comments much appreciated. Thanks all. I'll try to hit all the questions.

Steve: Where will I drop that 572? On my foot, most likely. Real Deal Steel makes brand new reproduction Camaro bodies. Make mine a 1969. Will end up being titled as an assembled vehicle, just like this one.

Scott: Thank you. Thought about powder coating some of the chrome bits, but chrome is not the easiest stuff to remove. Decided to go with a mixture of black and chrome and to try to tie it all together. Pretty happy with the outcome.

Dave: Not a member of the Mile High Cobra club yet, but I owe you all a debt of gratitude for pushing through the legislation to exempt assembled vehicles from the state emissions requirements. Cause I gotta tell you, this thing would never pass!

Bat: Thanks for the visual. Please tell me you don't wear spandex when you cruise the neighborhood on your Schwinn.

Chris: Thanks for the push to finally get some photos posted. The red button is for the roll control (line lock). Allows me to liquefy the rear tires without any need of nitrous
    Very very trick location for the line lock button. Referring to the Camaro, that’s my wife’s dream ride and I’ve recently priced out one of their new/modified repopped bodies.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very nice! Selfishly, it makes me feel better that it took you three years. You're just 9 frames ahead of mine! Congratulations on a beautiful build!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice love the blacked out look!
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks awesome! What color are the wheels, and are they powder coated?

Rob
    God is my cobrapilot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, wheels are powder coated. Here is the specific powder. There's also a clear top coat to enhance the gloss.

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    I will echo what others have already said...Beautiful! Nice work!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)