Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignacio's MK4 build by Wallace18

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ignacio's MK4 build by Wallace18

Awhile back Ignacio via FFR contacted me about finishing up his MK4. I normally do not do this sort of thing. I like to start from scratch. But he came with the FFR stamp of approval, LOL. Long story short he bought the kit in 5/28/2010 and things got in the way of getting it done. After some emails and phone conversations we decided to have me get it ready for final body work and paint. John and Monica did a great job of delivering the kit to me today. Everything seems to be here. I will do an inventory tomorrow afternoon. Start on it Monday. Boss 302 with T-5. Here are some pics.

IMG_3117.JPGIMG_3118.JPGIMG_3120.JPGIMG_3121.JPGIMG_3122.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday after Church I did inventory. All the FFR stuff there except the Wiper cable tube. The lower ball joint boots are cracked.I will replace as well as go over the front and rear suspension and brake stuff that was done before it came here. Jerry and Art came by this morning to help take the body off and put it in my enclosed trailer. I had to remove the front aluminum panels by the front suspension so I can coat them. Boy that silicone sure does stick! Today I drilled the foot boxes and got them ready for coating. I also drilled the floors, side panels, rear cockpit, and firewall. Hope to finish up all aluminum drilling tomorrow and start coating stuff.

IMG_3129.JPGIMG_3131.JPGIMG_3132.JPGIMG_3133.JPGIMG_3134.JPGIMG_3135.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 12-15-2021 at 07:55 AM. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished drilling the trunk area. Cleaned all the aluminum. Then I coated the foot boxes and firewall with Lizard Skin. The rest I coated the outside with truck bed liner. The lower balljoint boots were torn. Wrong boots on top. Put correct stuff on the front and torqued everything. Greased all fittings and installed steering rack. That was a ton of work in one day if I do say so myself.

IMG_3142.JPGIMG_3144.JPGIMG_3146.JPGIMG_3150.JPGIMG_3143.JPG

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted the firewall, passenger foot box, drivers front foot box panel and front tunnel panel. Installed pedal box, master cylinders, gas pedal, brake switch, clutch adjuster, steering shaft and throttle cable. Also installed gas tank and fuel filter.

IMG_3153.JPGIMG_3151.JPGIMG_3154.JPGIMG_3155.JPGIMG_3156.JPGIMG_3157.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Warp Speed - ENGAGE!! Nice work man. You'll have that baby done in no time!!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, I assume you will be updating that Clutch Quadrant?
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Tom, I assume you will be updating that Clutch Quadrant?
    Not sure what is the update? What is wrong with the one that came with the kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you send me your email?
    That Quadrant that is pictured is not desireable and will fail.
    the new one pulls straight and is mounted over the clutch pedal rather than hanging off the side by three inches.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

11. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ron, I found the update in a box. Is this what it should look like now?

IMG_3165.JPGIMG_3167.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted the floors and rear cockpit aluminum. I had a brain fart and forgot we are using a carb. I removed the EFI filter and installed the Holley fuel pump and filter as well as the fuel line to the front. I mounted the brake reservoir, front brake lines and hoses to the calipers. I updated the clutch quadrant. Thanks for the heads up Ron.

IMG_3163.JPGIMG_3164.JPGIMG_3160.JPGIMG_3168.JPGIMG_3169.JPGIMG_3162.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up the rear brake lines, installed wiring harness, installed rear trunk aluminum and installed drivers side footboy panel. Chassis ready for drivetrain install. Now working on engine, transmission and bell housing. Have to order t-stat housing, fuel log, dist. hold down and figure out oil pressure sender and oil temp sender locations. The Boss 302 is very different on the oil taps. The 2 top ones are buried under the intake. Only the side one to work with.

IMG_3173.JPGIMG_3174.JPGIMG_3172.JPGIMG_3177.JPGIMG_3178.JPGIMG_3176.JPGIMG_3182.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Ron, I found the update in a box. Is this what it should look like now?

IMG_3165.JPGIMG_3167.JPG
    This Is what I believe he is talking about the clutch quadrant should be now...
    Also see pages 5-7 here...

IMG_0331.JPG

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I am aware of the newer style clutch quadrant. I had that one on my 1st 2 MK4's. I had the one in this build on my 33 5 years ago and it is still working fine. If it becomes a problem I will deal with it down the road. I am not the least bit concerned. I do appreciate the input though.
    Last edited by wallace18; 10-27-2018 at 07:28 PM.

17. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today was a good day. I installed battery and cables. Also, installed the clutch, bell housing and transmission to the engine. Then installed them. Hooked up the starter cable, engine ground, driveshaft, headers, carb, throttle cable, ignition wires and looms. Installed stage-8 header bolts with locks. Waiting on parts from Summit and Fortes. Hopefully hear tomorrow.

IMG_3184.JPGIMG_3185.JPGIMG_3186.JPGIMG_3187.JPGIMG_3188.JPGIMG_3189.JPGIMG_3190.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I installed the shifter and trans tunnel aluminum. I put truck bed liner on underside of body. Finished up e-brake stuff. Installed shroud and fan on radiator using 10-24 rivnuts and screws. Installed dipstick. Also drilled dash plate for oil temp gauge, self-cancelling turn signals, aux fan switch, wiper switch, clock and speedo reset buttons.

IMG_3191.JPGIMG_3192.JPGIMG_3193.JPGIMG_3195.JPGIMG_3196.JPGIMG_3197.JPGIMG_3198.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Only had a few hours on the MK4 today. I had honey do's to do, LOL. I did mount radiator, shroud, fan, water pump pulley, crank pulley and lower radiator hose. Waiting on alternator. I mocked up dash install. I use aluminum mounts so dash can be removed without removing body. Dash is ready to be covered, but special glue in being shipped.

IMG_3199.JPGIMG_3200.JPGIMG_3201.JPGIMG_3202.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    While i am waiting on an alternator and glue for the dash pad I did some little stuff. I installed the fuel line on the carb and finished up the fuel system. I installed the thermostat, housing, upper hose and expansion tank. I wired up the horns, ignition switch and headlight switch. Installed firewall brace as well as 3 lower braces on the dash panel. Started on the X-Mat in the interior.

IMG_3203.JPGIMG_3209.JPGIMG_3204.JPGIMG_3205.JPGIMG_3206.JPGIMG_3207.JPGIMG_3208.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Friday was one of those days. I drove the church bus from 10AM till 2PM. Then came home to try to work on the MK4. I bled the brakes and filled the engine with 50/50 mix. Unfortunately the Thermostat housing gasket was defective. Drain everything and replace the gasket. I then glued the dash pad and worked on it some. Alternator came in but is wrong one and spacers are incorrect for the brackets. A call to Forte's will hopefully fix all that. I did wire up the coil, engine sensors and did drivers side spark plug wires. Taking rest of the weekend off.

IMG_3211.JPGIMG_3212.JPGIMG_3210.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed dash and steering wheel. Wired up all dash stuff. I need to rewire Cooling fan circuit. This is an old harness and uses the fan toggle switch to turn on fan. I will rewire for temp sensor or toggle switch to turn on radiator fan.

IMG_3213.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wired up rad fan circuit like new style harness. Also added interior lights off the headlight switch like new MK4's. Now everything electric works as it should. I even started the engine for 10 seconds. Started right up with good oil pressure. Waiting on alt and pulleys. Installed carpet in center as well as custom center dash support I made. I put cell phone charging port in it as well as blue LED interior lights. Finished up drivers foot box and rest of X-Mat. I will try moving on to some other stuff while I wait for parts. Hope to run engine and go-cart by Saturday.

IMG_3216.JPGIMG_3217.JPGIMG_3215.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I mocked up roll bar install, installed cockpit carpet except driver floor. I am waiting on seat sliders. Installed passenger seat, floor mat and belts. I put in carpet in trunk area. Kit does not come with this, but I feel it makes the trunk area much nicer than aluminum. Just something I do for my builds. Should have all the rest of the parts by Friday according to tracking #'s.

IMG_3221.JPGIMG_3220.JPGIMG_3223.JPGIMG_3222.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, you're like the Energizer Bunny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bouncing around stuff to stay busy waiting on parts. Did the front end alignment and set ride height. I did install drivers shoulder belts. Installed brackets and handles on hood. Installed rear tail lights and gas cap. Alt stuff showed up late today. Hope to start engine tomorrow and maybe go -cart with out drivers seat.

IMG_3224.JPGIMG_3225.JPGIMG_3226.JPGIMG_3228.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the front headlights and Turn signals. Drilled for wipers. Installed the Alt. and pulley kit, finally. I waited till 9:00 AM to start engine. Adjusted timing and carb. Runs fantastic! Good oil pressure and temps. Radiator fan comes on at 95 C. Everything gauge wise is OK except Tach is all over the place. I will call Speed-hut and see if they have an answer.

IMG_3234.JPGIMG_3232.JPGIMG_3233.JPGIMG_3236.JPGIMG_3235.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Go-carted today. Also calibrated speedo. Tach is very erratic. Speed-hut sending a filter free of charge to fix tach. I was surprised with kit being 8 years old. I have a few things to button up then install body tomorrow. Hard to keep tires from spinning, LOL.

30. Likes isolares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Epic run Tom. Awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Tom! But then again, I expected nothing less!

I really admire your build pace. You make steady progress each day, and do it with a high level of craftsmanship. That's really hard to do, but you make it look so easy.

Thanks for letting us follow along, and keep up the great work!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted the body, installed all 4 quick jacks. The front ones were a PITA. I like how the body attaches on the newer MK4's vs this one with the pinch washers. I cut out the hood, installed a newer stile hood scoop. This car came with an old red fiberglass one. Installed hood, hinges, latches and gas struts.

IMG_3251.JPGIMG_3250.JPGIMG_3247.JPGIMG_3254.JPGIMG_3255.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I missing something??? how many of these Mk4's have you built. I just do not understand how you are able to do all this so fast...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Am I missing something??? how many of these Mk4's have you built. I just do not understand how you are able to do all this so fast...
    This is my 4th MK4 and 12th FFR kit in 5 years. I never thought 5 years ago when I built a 33 this would be my retirement fun job! I do not golf, fish or hunt. This is what I enjoy doing. LOL.

36. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes CVOBill, adubbelde, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished wiring up all the front and rear lights. I mocked up all the splash panels then coated with bed liner. Hooked up fuel filler and ground strap. Installed side pipes then put in all splash shields as well as radiator aluminum. Had to use Breeze side pipes wedges to get side pipes parallel to body.

IMG_3259.JPGIMG_3260.JPGIMG_3256.JPGIMG_3258.JPGIMG_3263.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my 4th MK4 and 12th FFR kit in 5 years. I never thought 5 years ago when I built a 33 this would be my retirement fun job! I do not golf, fish or hunt. This is what I enjoy doing. LOL.
    Sounds like a perfect retirement plan! I also do not hunt, fish, or do anything involving a ball - tinkering & building things are my therapy.
    How many of the 12 are still in the stable?... or is it build, enjoy, sell, and start another?
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Sounds like a perfect retirement plan! I also do not hunt, fish, or do anything involving a ball - tinkering & building things are my therapy.
    How many of the 12 are still in the stable?... or is it build, enjoy, sell, and start another?
    I built a 33, 818S, Type65, MK4, GTM and a 35 P/U in construction for my self. Sold all except the 35. The rest were customer builds. 2-818S, 3-MK4's, 1-33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I installed another Breeze side pipe wedge on drivers side to get pipe parallel. Made up a charcoal canister for the tank vent and installed under rear of car. Installed roll bar and grommets. FFR made hole for single bar too far back. I had to modify grommet to cover hole. Installed windshield. Started on trunk install. Taking a few days off. I have obligations for next few days. Hope to get car done by Dec. 1st. My brother is getting cancer surgery up in Hersey PA. some time after Dec. 5th. I want to go and be with him for a couple weeks. It would be great if I could finish the MK4 and deliver to Ignacio before that. We will see.

IMG_3268.JPGIMG_3269.JPGIMG_3265.JPGIMG_3267.JPGIMG_3266.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, the car is looking good. Its nice that your going to spend time with your brother, I wish him luck with surgery. Safe travels my friend.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a bad cold for the last 4 days. OK now. I installed tach filter, trunk finished up and started on doors. I am done with passenger side. Installed door panels from Herb. Still a little more on drivers side to finish up. Getting close to done.

IMG_3270.JPGIMG_3271.JPGIMG_3272.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up drivers door, installed 4 - 10-32 screws into body underneath into frame. Installed rear view mirrors. Installed wiper kit. The transmissions that came with the kit crumbled apart when installing the wiper arms. I had some newer ones left over from a wiper kit I did not install on my Type 65. They saved the day. My suggestion to anyone is stay away from the FFR wiper kit if you can. Just my 2 cents worth. All I have left to do is sun visors, wind wings, test drive and clean up. Total time to finish kit will be 33 days from my start. Will deliver to Ignacio on Dec. 3rd.

IMG_3278.JPGIMG_3275.JPGIMG_3279.JPGIMG_3276.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

44. Likes RAMRobAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Installed visors and wind wings. Also installed my own trunk prop. All ready to deliver to Ignacio on Dec.3rd. He will have final body work and paint done down in Miami.

IMG_3281.JPGIMG_3282.JPGIMG_3286.JPGIMG_3283.JPGIMG_3284.JPGIMG_3287.JPGIMG_3288.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Delivered the MK4 this morning to Ignacio. He was all smiles. Great guy. He will get body and paint done after the holidays. 13:45 minutes of driving and 723 miles in one day. I am tired, LOL.

47. Likes FF33rod, Aircontroller liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast