Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Pomp and Circumstance

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pomp and Circumstance

Guess it's that time. The graduation march. The build phase officially ended this week. Now I guess the adjustment phase starts, and I suppose in the next few months, the maintenance phase will begin.

I'll have to do this in multiple posts to get all the info in. Since I didn't do a build thread, I'll start with my list of Features, Components, Modifications, Alterations, Fix’s, Extras, Upgrades, Options, Changes and Additions, in multiple posts because of the 10,000 character limit. Then, because I can only post 5 pic's at a time, I'll post the photos in 3 or 4 posts. I have to say, those of you that did do build threads, I don't know how you had time to build a car and chronicle it in a build thread. I barely had time to read the threads, let alone do one. My hat's off to you.

I originally bought a used kit that had been started by the original owner. I figure I probably have done about 90% of the build since then. The original owner estimated he had about 200 hours in it, and I have kept a build log and tallied 1712 hours.

As of today, I have 450 miles on the car (I stopped and took a picture of the odometer when it hit 427...), and most things are working just fine. A few little things, like a valve cover oil seeping, and a temperamental cooling fan relay, etc., will need to be addressed in the adjustment phase. But the big things like electrical, lights, running, starting, and stopping all seem good.

Some of the things I put in the build I'm very glad I did, and a few things I'm not so sure. Some of the items I really like are the breeze radiator shroud, front battery mount, and stainless roll bar, Alex's wheel well liners, the old school carbureted 427 SBF (it's loud, rough, a little temperamental, and a bit smelly-like me), all LED lighting, stereo (just fine around town), adjustable seat sliders and power steering. Some of the stuff I'm not so sure about is the hydraulic clutch (works very good, but I had a hard time with master cylinders and line leaks, maybe still do), and the TKO 600 with the .82 5th gear. It's absolutely perfect for town/city driving, but a tad low gear for freeway driving above 65mph. Maybe that's a good thing-it will keep me from getting too carried away with the speed. I will say that there is definitely a learning curve on how to drive these things. Mine has already scared me enough to teach me that I don't really know how to drive it (yet). It has more horse power than should be allowed by law. Ooooh, did I just say that?

For those in California, here's my SB100 title and registration thread. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-Registration

Anyway, on to the list... (the stuff in parenthesis are items I bought, but didn't use, at least not yet, because I changed my mind or couldn't decide on what to use.)

General:
    · Factory Five Racing MK IV Roadster, #8439
    · Complete kit, original delivery 11/2014, I bought it 2/2016
    · First start 12/2016
    · First Go-Kart 12/2016
    · Registered, titled, licensed 3/2017
    · Paint 6/2018
    · Build complete 10/2018
    · Black powder coated frame
    · FFR Body cutouts
    · Non-donor build

Engine:
    · The Engine Factory built Ford 427w SBF, 520 hp, 530 ft/lb torque, Built 9/1/2016
    · SHP SBF Dart block, New
    · Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Intake manifold
    · Edelbrock Victor Jr. Aluminum heads
    · Comp Roller Cam
    · Comp Roller Rocker Arms
    · Canton 7 1/2-quart front sump oil pan
    · Ceramic coated 4 into 4 headers
    · Percy’s Vibe-Lock header bolts
    · “Cobra” branded air cleaner
    · “427 Cobra Ford Racing” branded valve covers
    · Holly 750 carburetor
    · Summit Racing Distributor
    · Summit Racing Cap and Rotor
    · Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro Silicone spark plug wires
    · MSD Blaster 2 Coil
    · Cobra Earl Thermostat Housing with elevated inlet and 16 lb filler cap.
    · Closed PVC system (licensed under California SB-100)
    · Reverse rotation water pump
    · Summit 34 oz. coolant expansion tank
    · March pulley and bracket package
    · Ford Racing High Torque mini starter with solenoid
    · Russ Thompson Throttle block & pedal
    · Stainless throttle pedal stop & modification with strengthened backstop, Adjustable
    · Custom Mechanical throttle linkage
    · Breeze 3/8” fuel tank pickup, AN-06 to 3/8 stainless braided hose, no return
    · Stainless 3/8” fuel line and AN-06 fittings
    · Earl’s Plumbing power steering hoses and fittings
    · Earl’s Plumbing flex fuel lines
    · Summit Racing canister fuel filter with AN-06 connectors
    · Fuel tank vent modification, charcoal filter

Transmission and clutch:
    · Ram 10.5-inch Clutch
    · Ram Pressure plate assembly
    · Clutch pedal stop, Adustable
    · Forte Hydraulic Clutch kit, CNC .875” slave, Wilwood 1.00” M/C
    · Stainless braided, hi-temp fiberglass covered hydraulic clutch hose
    · Clutch pedal/frame interference fix (frame relief and strengthening)
    · QuickTime SFI 6.1 steel bell housing
    · 3/8 inch removed from bottom of bell housing and backing plate for ground clearance
    · Tremec TKO-600 RR, 5 speed transmission (.82 OD 5th gear)
    · 7/8” one-piece spacer to shim up transmission

Rear End:
    · Metco driveshaft safety loop
    · Moser M9, Ford 9” solid axle rear end
    · Eaton Detroit TruTrak limited slip differential
    · Custom 11½ inch drive shaft, 31 spline yoke, Spicer 1350NZ U-joints

Suspension, brakes, wheels:
    · Halibrand Replica aluminum alloy wheels, 17 x 9-inch front, 17 x 10½-inch rear
    · Nitto 555 Extreme, Front 255/40ZR17, Rear 315/35ZR17
    · Koni coil-over shocks, 500lb spring Front, 350lb spring Rear
    · Front suspension upper control arm, ½ inch reduction on rearward arm modification
    · Energy Suspensions red lower ball joint dust boots
    · Energy Suspensions red tie rod end dust boots
    · Gordon Levy adjustable rear lower control arms, black powder coated
    · Wilwood 6 piston caliper front, Dynapro 6 12.88” dia. vented rotor
    · Wilwood 2 piston Caliper CPB (comb. parking brake) rear, 12.19” dia. vented rotor
    · CNC remote aluminum brake and clutch triple reservoir set
    · Earl’s Plumbing stainless braided reservoir to master cylinder brake and clutch hoses
    · Stainless ¼” brake lines
    · Rear wheel centering hole machined to 3.065” to fit the 3.060 boss on the axle
    · Wheel spinner/knock off ring modification
    · Breeze Power Steering rack, Maval, 3 turns L to L, with 1” extensions
    · Electric parking brake actuator
    · Parking brake cables re-routed through aluminum pulleys above 4” frame tube
    · Parking brake caliper helper return springs

Continued in part 2....
    Last edited by boat737; 01-30-2020 at 11:12 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

2. Thanks RBachman, mike8082 thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman, mike8082 liked this post