Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question about wires in Heater/Wiper/radio leg

Post Thanks / Like

Question about wires in Heater/Wiper/radio leg

I've looking at this bundle of wires from the RF harness now and I want to make sure I understand where they go and how I could use some of them differently in my build since I don't have any plans for a radio or heater.

Purple Wiper wire - connect this to the wiper motor as per the Wiper motor instructions.

Red Courtesy Light - power lead to courtesy lights, activated when headlight switch is twisted all the way to the left
    Lt Gray Courtesy Light - ground lead to courtesy lights

Brown Radio Power - I would like to use this to power my under-dash USB port

Red Radio Memory - This one is "hot at all times" right? If so I would like to use this to power my USB port inside the glove box

Brown Heater - I would like to run this one to the front to power my LED fog lights

Does anyone see anything wrong with my assumptions about how this wires are/can be used?

Thanks,
    David

Last edited by shark92651; 10-21-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    David ~

Never admit I’m an electrical wizard, but I believe the courtesy lights are activated by turning the headlight switch - not the wiper switch. I changed and used my radio power for my seat heaters and used a higher amp fuse. Something you want to check for is amp rating when powering different accessories then what was intended...I’m guessing the fuse’s amp rating for the heater would be sufficient for switching them to power your fog lights. I’m not sure if the ‘radio memory’ wire is a full twelve volts or just enough for a voltage trickle to keep the radio’s memory logged. I would test wire and charge/power something to check. Courtesy light ‘gray’ for ground, I’m not sure - because I didn’t wire mine, so hopefully someone will weigh in on that one specifically.

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 10-21-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used my radio power for my 12v power point and the heater wire for my seat heaters. I didn't run the courtesy lights in my car. If you have GPS gauges, you want an always hot connection to the speedo to allow it to acquire faster after startup. My unused wires in that bundle got clipped and capped with heat shrink tubing and then tied up for use down the road if needed.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah brain fart, meant headlight switch on the courtesy lights. I forgot about my seat heaters so I guess it makes sense to use the heater wire for those. The Coyote pigtail has a HAAT (hot at all times) wire and I was going to use that one for the Speedo. I will check the voltage on that radio memory wire, although I imagine it is 12V. I guess I will just run a new wire for the fog lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are also a couple of wires in the EFI harness that you can repurpose.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Purple Wiper wire - connect this to the wiper motor as per the Wiper motor instructions.
    No issues.

Red Courtesy Light - power lead to courtesy lights, activated when headlight switch is twisted all the way to the left
    Just an FYI... courtesy lights have power all the time. The on/off is controlled on the gray ground side at the headlight switch.

This is most likely OK as the USB charging will probably be pulling less amps than a radio.

Red Radio Memory - This one is "hot at all times" right? If so I would like to use this to power my USB port inside the glove box
    Same here. Radio Memory is powered off the 15 amp Headlight switch fuse. Especially of you're using all LEDs for external lighting, this wont be an issue. Yes, HAAT.

Brown Heater - I would like to run this one to the front to power my LED fog lights
    Heater is a 20 amp fuse. Should be fine for LED fog lights, depending on how powerful and how many amps they pull. Research the lights you want to use. Look for something listed like "power draw". Add together however many lights you will use. Dont let it get over 15 amps. I looked up some KC 32 watt LED fog lights and they draw less than 2 amps per light... with LEDs, the amp draw is so low, it's almost guaranteed that you'll be fine with this setup.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    No issues.

Just an FYI... courtesy lights have power all the time. The on/off is controlled on the gray ground side at the headlight switch.

This is most likely OK as the USB charging will probably be pulling less amps than a radio.

Same here. Radio Memory is powered off the 15 amp Headlight switch fuse. Especially of you're using all LEDs for external lighting, this wont be an issue. Yes, HAAT.

Heater is a 20 amp fuse. Should be fine for LED fog lights, depending on how powerful and how many amps they pull. Research the lights you want to use. Look for something listed like "power draw". Add together however many lights you will use. Dont let it get over 15 amps. I looked up some KC 32 watt LED fog lights and they draw less than 2 amps per light... with LEDs, the amp draw is so low, it's almost guaranteed that you'll be fine with this setup.
    Thanks this is very helpful