Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clicking sound from right rear wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Clicking sound from right rear wheel

I took the Roadster out twice this weekend. Yesterday, I brought it over to the local Firestone shop for a four wheel alignment. It was about a mile away and I drove it there and back. The morning was bright and sunny when we went over, but the weather deteriorated as the day went on. By the time the car was done (about 5 hours later!) it was windy, cold and raining off an on.

Driving back home was fun – I was holding on to the wheel with one hand and my hat with the other. Have to work through the whole hat thing. Literally five minutes after I got back in my garage, the wind kicked up significantly and it started snowing. I know I’m going to get caught in bad weather eventually; I’m hoping that will wait a while!

Two things popped up on this trip, one I can explain, but one I can’t. The one I can explain is difficulty starting when cold. The engine cranked way more than I thought it should, which might indicate it’s not getting enough gas. When it does start, I get a pretty big “pop”, almost like a backfire. I haven’t checked the fuel pressure, but I suspect it isn’t high enough. Once the car has run for a while, it will start right up, so it has to be the fuel pressure in my mind. I’m running a 3/8 line on feed and return.

The second item is a clicking noise that seems to emanate from the right rear wheel. The faster I go, the faster the clicking is. I did a visual check, but I don’t see anything out of the ordinary. For a point of reference, I have the “old style” IRS, 17 inch wheels, and Wilwood brakes. Any ideas what might cause that?

I took it out again today and made this video. I put my phone on a selfie stick and secured it in a roll bar post. I was surprised how jumpy it came out. There’s also a lot of wind noise. I was hoping you might be able to hear the clicking over the exhaust, but the wind just about wipes out everything else. Nevertheless, it was a fun trip. A little faster this time as I feel pretty good about the suspension.

Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    If the clicking increases with wheel speed proportionally it must be something touching/hitting as the wheel rotates. Maybe something simple like a zip tie end or something?

With the coyote pcm you shouldn't have much issue with the motor cranking based on hot/cold. Sounds like fuel pressure is a good place to look. Did you set the fuel pressure with the motor off?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the clicking change or stop with brake application? Mild braking? Strong braking?

Post Thanks / Like
    The clicking noise could be something as simple as an object stuck in the tire treads. I would jack the car so the wheel is at normal ride height and spin the wheel by hand. You can check the tire for objects and listen for the source of the click at the same time.

Good Luck

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post

The second item is a clicking noise that seems to emanate from the right rear wheel. The faster I go, the faster the clicking is. I did a visual check, but I don’t see anything out of the ordinary. For a point of reference, I have the “old style” IRS, 17 inch wheels, and Wilwood brakes. Any ideas what might cause that?
    The old IRS was somewhat notorious for loosening the axle nut(s).

This is typically a bigger problem on the driver's side than the passenger's side, although driving habits could possibly affect that.

So you might check and make sure your rear axle nuts are tight (250ftlbs).

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    The old IRS was somewhat notorious for loosening the axle nut(s).

This is typically a bigger problem on the driver's side than the passenger's side, although driving habits could possibly affect that.

So you might check and make sure your rear axle nuts are tight (250ftlbs).
    Could it be a CV joint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. Looks like I have some things to check. The clicking isn't heard at very low speed, like in and out of the garage. It kicks in above 10 mph. I know that the rear hubs are not at torque spec and knew I had to take care of that. Hopefully I can check things out during the week.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    AL - It might be your em brake cable. It snapped on my car, it would make noise in higher speed as it was rubbing the drive shaft.

(I felt like my ebrake wasn't engaging at the same time on both wheels, was doing some adjusting and tightened one tighter. It snapped and kept rubbing)
    Last edited by broku518; 10-22-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Could it be a CV joint?
    I thought about that, Steve. (and not in a good way) The CV joints are sealed (or at least covered) on the IRS axle shafts. Obviously, it's taken me three years to get to this point from when they showed up on my doorstep. Not sure how I would test that theory, but am open to ideas.