Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: One more paint?

Post Thanks / Like

One more paint?

I’ve applied the Wimbledon white base coat and the lightning blue stripes. When I peel off the masking tape I’m assuming I’ll feel ridges where the tape was...question is, do you gently sand the ridges or go with clear and take care of the ridges in the sand /polish stage? If you do sand, wet or dry?As normal all help is appreciated!
    Last edited by Jacob; 10-23-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely do not try to sand the stripes.

You need to apply generous clear to allow room to polish back the edges. Probably 3-4 coats of clear depending on which clear you use. This will leave room to polish it flat. After several coats of clear, the flowout will naturally reduce the hardline and it will be subtle if not mostly gone. A final color sand and buff should seal the deal.

Good luck.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what I neede! Thanks
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m sorry but I need to disagree with Badger. I’m taking an autobody repair class right now and we just covered this exact thing last week. I painted my helmet and had the ridge when I took the tape off. I needed to wet-sand it with 1500-grit wet/dry sandpaper to minimize the step prior to clear-coat. After 2 coats of clear the step could still be felt but was minimal.
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    "I’ve applied the Wimbledon white base coat and the lightning blue stripes"

And from the peanut gallery:

Both answers can be correct, with the following enquiry:

If one color is a metallic, for a novice, Badger's answer would be a good choice, less chance of disturbing the flake in the color.

If both colors are non-metallic, for the novice George T's answer would be good, but be very careful not to sand the second color edge too far.

Of course if time is not a problem, in the booth, lay down three coats of clear, let fully dry/set up, wet sand with 1000 clean off the car and lay down two to three more coats of clear, that should beyond a shadow of doubt, get rid of any hard line feel.

Just what you wanted three options to make your day easier, dealers choice

Signing out, going back to the side lines.
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

6. Thanks Jacob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read the information sheets for your paint system! Paint systems can be VERY different.

I used PPG, and if you touched it with sandpaper, you had to shoot it again. Also you had to get the clear on within 24 hours or you had to scuff and shoot again before the clear. So you had better get reading. You also don't want to leave masking tape on for a long time.

With 3 good coats of clear and proper wet sanding, you will not feel a ridge at all. Mine is as smooth as glass.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 10-24-2018 at 03:51 PM.

8. Thanks Jacob thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I shoot stripe color, mask, shoot body color, unmask stripe, shoot 3 coats clear, colorsand and polish. No sanding of the base in between.....only been doin this for 40yrs and putting stripes on just about every car for the past 20....so, for what it's worth...da Bat

10. Likes BadAsp427, Jacob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    I shoot stripe color, mask, shoot body color, unmask stripe, shoot 3 coats clear, colorsand and polish. No sanding of the base in between.....only been doin this for 40yrs and putting stripes on just about every car for the past 20....so, for what it's worth...da Bat
    This. Plus I do one more step

Shoot paint and stripe, unmask stripe, shoot 3 coats clear, (no sanding of base in between, as above). Let cure for at least 2-3 days. Sand clear only and LIGHTLY with 800 right at ridges. Do not burn through. Sand rest of car with 1500. Tack everything, shoot 3 more coats of clear, colorsand (1500, 3000 Trizact, 5000 Trizact), polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well alrighty then, I’ll go back to class on Saurday and let my instructor know that the pros here say he’s full of crap and is doing it wrong...
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for da Bat.... I’ve seen A LOT of his stuff and it’s absolutely impeccable.
    It will be an honor to turn our car over to him to finish when it’s time....
    (don’t worry Jeff, no stripes under the hood lol)

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GThompson View Post
    Well alrighty then, I’ll go back to class on Saurday and let my instructor know that the pros here say he’s full of crap and is doing it wrong...

Oh come on now....you don't really want to say that...…. Just tell him he doesn't know his "Arse from a hole in the ground !!!"...KIDDING. Look , metallics lay down a certain way when sprayed. When you break the surface with sandpaper not only do you leave scratches but you also flatten the surface which become not only visible to see right away but magnified by the clear. Solid colors are safer but Red , for example, likes to separate it's toners just a bit as it lays down because of it's chemical make up. If you try to sand Red base you will see it start turning Orange as you sand. ...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate all the inputs! So far I’ve been impressed that when I pulled the tape off, the stripes stayed on!
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS