FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash Placement Question

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Placement Question

I am starting to work through how I want to have my dash laid out, both for function and aesthetics. I am trying to look through pictures of what others have done but I haven't found many of dash layouts. My thought right now is to have the Tach and Speedometer centered above the steering wheel and my other 4 gauges to the right of the steering wheel. I would assume ignition switch and AC controls to the right of the steering wheel. Maybe have the headlight switch to the left of the wheel. Where do others have turn indicator lights, or the high beam indicator light. I think as far as the dash is concerned the only thing I would need to be able to touch while driving is the headlight switch, and the AC controls (trying to make sure they will be within reach with belts on). The turn signals will be on the column so should be easily reached.

Any tips from those that already have everything set up or things they would do differently? I am really apprehensive about drilling into the dash so I am trying to think through the placement.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Walmart and get you a roll of butcher paper (about 18" x 100'), it will cost you maybe $10. Place a piece on the fiberglass dash and trace the outline. Then trace that piece onto several other pieces (as many as you like), then cut all of them at one time. Use each individual piece to for different layouts then you can tape them on the dash for visual. Cheap and helps to avoid making the wrong cuts ( and future glass work).

HTH
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing beats a live mock-up. Steering wheel in place, seats in position. Cut paper gauges and switches and move them around at will. I cut the paper gauges out of post-it notes. They are adhesive and easy to move around. Once you have them just right, look behind the dash for interferences.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut out the dash and built an aluminum one. Post 195 to 199 in toms33 build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently going the paper gauge route. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on where things worked out well for them after getting the car on the road.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the layout from FFR. The first gauge on the left can be hard to see depending where the tilt wheel is set.
    IMG_2021 - Copy.JPG
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the console with the cup holders?
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    I made it out of .040 aluminum, covered it with 1/8" padding and vinyl. The cup holders are from the local marine supply store and the lid is the armrest that comes with the car. I removed the vinyl and trimmed it down to the length and width that worked for the console.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rychi1 View Post
    My thought right now is to have the Tach and Speedometer centered above the steering wheel and my other 4 gauges to the right of the steering wheel.
    Just make sure you have clearence to the master cylinders behind the dash, they sit right where you would normally want the tach and speedo. That is if you or FFR hasn't made a revision to this already.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couple things I haven't tried, but, wish I did. One of the things a few people have done is build a completely separate dash plate. I would take this as far as putting every electrical switch, gage, and light on the removable plate. When you get into the Harness work you will see why. It is exponentially easier to do the inevitable other modifications later when you can pull the plate out with the dash harness intact. I see the 2019 HR is incorporating a separable dash. Another major consideration is being able to reach the switch components on the dash. If you have long legs and/or a Simpson harness you may not be able to reach the switches on the dash. I wish I had moved these to a console between the seats, but I already place other stuff there and it really is where the parking brake should be. As for the Tach I will probably mount a larger telltale tach with memory right on the column like the old school muscle cars. I sit back far enough so I can see all the gages in the FFR format, but I don't look at them at speed because it forces my eyes too far off target. Take your time and do the multiple layouts. Maybe something like Dakota digital is right for you. In short, I'll redesign my entire layout eventually because I followed the manual early in the build.