Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEMA Preview Day #4 of 7

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SEMA Preview Day #4 of 7

SEMA preview #4 is a bit of a head fake here. We’ve been working on an all-new digital design process, and while the resulting new model will NOT be at the SEMA Show (since it is undergoing major revisions), I wanted to share the story of the development process. The new Factory Five GTF model will debut at SEMA next year, 2019.

Click here to read more and see over 30 pictures of the car and process.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

2. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is to Cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

That's so cool! Thanks for continuing to look forward and advance the company. The GTF looks awesome.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, Wow & Wow!

I'm speechless which we all know doesn't happen often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always looking and pushing ideas and process improvements forward is why FFR is so successful and cutting edge. Thanks Dave for sharing and what a beautiful rendering. Freaking exciting! Proud to be affiliated with such an awesome company!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    The fin behind the front wheel is.....well...let’s just say a strange feature. I realize this is far from a finished design. But overall....beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    My next project has just been put on hold...again.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

9. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool to understand some of the CAD and VR tools that are in use. I'm curious why a new supercar though - perhaps part of the answer is in understanding where FFR sees itself in 5-10 years....

Post Thanks / Like
    New super car because mid engine is too difficult for most to swing financially. It also brings in buyers that are not necessarily into classic cars.

Great call waiting to get it right the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the new design!

That looks sweet you guys, and impressive development time! VR is the future of automotive design.
    I absolutely love the car from the A-pillar back. The side profile and rear sculpting are perfection in my opinion, also that diffuser will look nasty!
    As for the front of the car, I agree with you that it misses the mark. I'd recommend taking some inspiration from the Aston Martin Vulcan for the front quarters. As for the front fascia, I think something like the new TVR Griffith would look real slick. Though, i'd do something else with those headlights.

Vulcan:
    stlk6vud9yauhzt9pxrn.jpg

TVR Griffith:
    zvu5un6wfdx2nybrtl7x.jpg

Cheers! -David

Post Thanks / Like
    very cool!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’m out of the country right now but I’ve been checking in daily waiting for THIS post.

This is my next build! I can’t wait until it’s ready!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at FFR in September and I've been waiting for this update. It was really cool to see this and a few of the other new projects in person.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    This going to be a nice car.
    I keep looking at it though, and what keeps bothering me is the shape of the side windows. They don’t go with the car.
    Not sure if the a pillar is too wide or the shape of the rear 1/4 window. Some of this is probably limited by the shape of the coupe chassis.
    I do like the fin behind the front wheel and the rear diffuser and spoiler look trick.
    Maybe a side exhaust like Eleanor?
    Can’t wait to see the final product.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Ingermann View Post
    I absolutely love the car from the A-pillar back....As for the front of the car, I agree with you that it misses the mark.
    Cheers! -David
    I agree. I'm not a big fan of the wheel shark fin design. I know I'd be changing that.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Ingermann View Post
    That looks sweet you guys, and impressive development time! VR is the future of automotive design.
    I absolutely love the car from the A-pillar back. The side profile and rear sculpting are perfection in my opinion, also that diffuser will look nasty!
    As for the front of the car, I agree with you that it misses the mark. I'd recommend taking some inspiration from the Aston Martin Vulcan for the front quarters. As for the front fascia, I think something like the new TVR Griffith would look real slick. Though, i'd do something else with those headlights.

Vulcan:
    stlk6vud9yauhzt9pxrn.jpg

TVR Griffith:
    zvu5un6wfdx2nybrtl7x.jpg

Cheers! -David

Where was the front shown? I could not find a picture of it shown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Connedale View Post
    Where was the front shown? I could not find a picture of it shown.
    Look at the article on the FFR web site, there's a video and most of the pics embedded in the article have multiple shots that you can click through

Post Thanks / Like
    There is not a front view in any of those. There was a 3D image, but it did not match the final design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it and hoping you do a roofless version in the vein of the the Ferrari SP2.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Nice article, World Class Production. Please don't forget that the VR Design process is also great for generating a BOM (Bill of Material) and Users build manual too.

Post Thanks / Like
    wonder what kind of price tag? GTM price?

Post Thanks / Like
    And I thought I was done with FFR...looks impressive
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    As much as I like the design, I am a bit leery of the large open area behind the front wheels. I am afraid that it will direct rain, and other debris towards the body of the car itself.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    The car in clay, love the rear end. Don't change that it looks fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like
    After seeing this (awesome announcement btw), the article below made me smile. Obviously very unlikely, but it WOULD be cool if this was FFR!!

https://jalopnik.com/aston-martin-so...o-a-1829947597
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool! My jury is still deliberating on that large open area in back of the front wheels. Maybe I am more of a traditionalist but I would prefer that closed. Also, would you consider making the side windows/hatch window larger, ie more like a 911? Make it easier to see. Also, please consider making space for an undercar exhaust. Will be following this thread closely!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the opening is geared to the younger buyer. If the design was catered to the people in this forum, it would be an outdated design that does not bring in the next generation of buyers. I suspect that the front was not good looking to Dave but may have resonated more with millennials used to driving badass cutting edge designs on Gran Turismo.
    Last edited by Connedale; 10-27-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Connedale View Post
    I think the opening is geared to the younger buyer. If the design was catered to the people in this forum, it would be an outdated design that does not bring in the next generation of buyers. I suspect that the front was not good looking to Dave but may have resonated more with millennials used to driving badass cutting edge designs on Gran Turismo.
    In fairness though, I'm 19 and I agree with Dave. Additionally, the concern brought up about road debris being shot at the body work is pretty valid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    After seeing this (awesome announcement btw), the article below made me smile. Obviously very unlikely, but it WOULD be cool if this was FFR!!

https://jalopnik.com/aston-martin-so...o-a-1829947597
    More than likely a Tesla purchase! LOL... Factory Five wouldn't be doing the VR if it had dies and tooling! But interesting.

I'm also loving what I see so far. I can take or leave the open side, it's not finalized yet but you have my attention. I was 100% committed to and SLC (Coupe Super Lite) after this build. BUT... seeing this, the jury is back out. Cmon FFR... you're on the right track! New, modern, SUPER CAR. Times change, BE the trend!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Any fun speculation as to what the intended power plant may be? After scrapping my 818 plans and going with an Mazda FD (in Japan right now), this seems like a great project to save for. Still looking to build a FFR with my kids!! Super excited to watch how this project develops!
    FFR Build Status: Reset button hit
    '03 Subaru Impreza eSi RHD...because Japan

Post Thanks / Like
    Audi S6 /S8 5.2L V10.
    Entire donor cars can be picked up for 10-15k

Needs AM front nose styling, lose the wing-indent behind the front wheel. It will sandblast the fender and door.
    The roof line, hood, doors, rear - all are good

Either go Vanquish or Vette. Curves VS angles but not a combination of both.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to imagine that the space behind the front wheels will be where the long tube headers will come out of the engine compartment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smoove7410 View Post

This is a great project. Love the rear of the body. Curious how the front will turn out. I believe I read this would be based on the coupe chassis which got me very excited (I am a big fan of the gen 3 chassis but the coupe look isn't my favorite), but this final view doesn't show a full cage. I am really hoping the chassis stays true to the Gen 3 coupe chassis as much as possible, full cage and all. Keep at it!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully that very thick A pillar is there to hide a steel tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure there's room for 12" wide rears and at least 11" up front! I'm not sure what the 65 Coupe chassis can normally take?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure, but it sure has the front end look of a corvette and rear end of a Porsche 911.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the picture of the front? Please post it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Just make sure there's room for 12" wide rears and at least 11" up front! I'm not sure what the 65 Coupe chassis can normally take?
    It begins having fitment issues above 11" depending on offset... some guys have stuffed 13 inches in, though... just saying...
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

42. Thanks Benji thanked for this post
    Likes Benji liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 35 with a v8 swapped fd rx7 and personally love the fin behind the wheel but body damage with sticky tires is a concern. Maybe a thick clear bra?
    Been eyeing a FF kit for a long time. Thought it would be the 818 but the front end choice(so many better versions on the net) and interior size was a no go.
    That being said, I know we have not seen the front yet but I like it all so far. I would love room for 6'4"(me) comfortably, wide tires (12") and maybe a Corvette drivetrain setup. The Vette transaxle in the back would be sweet.
    TVR Sagaris is a good model to look at as well.

I don't really know how much input FF takes from the enthusiasts but it's pretty cool that our suggestions even have a chance of affecting the outcome. Cannot really say that about any other company.
    Last edited by Exidous; 11-02-2018 at 02:40 AM.
    94 BB Rx-7 3030lb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast