FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: how hard to remove the coupe roof?

Post Thanks / Like

how hard to remove the coupe roof?

I have been toying with the idea of a few car mods this winter and one being to convert to a coupe from the roadster. how hard is it to remove the roof for working on the engine. I know the hatch opens on the rear but its still looks like a paint to work on it. also has anyone looked into reworking the roof to make it a removable targa center section or make the roof separate from the windshield?

ideas? thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Last summer I removed my hardtop for engine removal and rebuild and it took about an hour, including suspending the hardtop above the 818. My difficulty rating is only 1 beer:
    1. Raise car, remove front wheels, then remove the rear panels of the front wheel wells to expose the windshield bolts.
    2. Loosen the dash so you can ease it back a few inches. (the front of the dash overlaps the inner lip of the windshield.)
    3. Unbolt the brackets behind the side windows, one on each side.
    4. Unbolt the brackets at the rear corners, one on each side.
    5. Remove the rear glass hatch by unbolting the hinge arms to the hatch.
    6. Remove the 4 bolts at the front of the windshield that were uncovered in #1.
    7. Lift hardtop up and off.
    If you are working alone, as I did, fashion some way to lift the hardtop up, such as ropes and pulleys. It's not heavy, just bulky, so I raised it up to the ceiling and then tied it off to hang out of the way. Or, if you have any friends, get one or two to lift the top up and out.

I also had to disconnect my interior dome light and an LED strip brake light on my rear hatch, but you may not have those. Also, I did not previously mount my remote brake fluid reservoir, nor my windshield wiper motor, to the windshield apron so I didn't have to disturb those things. If you mounted anything to the windshield apron consider remounting them so the windshield can be removed & replaced easily. This also makes if fairly easy to convert to the topless roadster, 818S, and back to a coupe, 818C, if you saved the S windshield and two rear panels.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

3. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a partially finished 818S last spring. After 2 years he bought the coupe kit so I have both now. I decided to finish my car as a roadster and have the complete coupe kit listed in the for sale parts subforum. If you are interested call me at 413-214-5226 or PM me for more info.