Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Has anyone tried these?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried these?

https://philstireservice.com/shop/federal-fz-201s/
    Looks like I can fit the 235/40X17 on the front (they are a tad narrower than the Hoosier 225 and BFG 235 I have run) and the same for the 265/35X18 rears. They are about $300-400 less than BFG's and Hoosier's per set. They are a 40 thread wear compound which is the same as the BFG and Hoosier just don't know about the construction, anyone given the Federals a try??
    I am thinking about ordering a set to play with, could be a good track day option.

2. Likes walt555 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch,
    Back in 2014 I autocrossed a set of Federal's 595RS-R I got them from Simpletire.com.

federal tires.jpg

I wasn't real impressed with them so I went back to running Toyo R888.
    One big problem back then was delivery. Simple Tire said 7 day delivery and took my order. 2 months later I finally got my tires.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch, if you do try these please report back with your thoughts in comparison to the Hoosier and BFG R compounds you have run. I will be stepping up to a set of R compounds next spring and any input you can offer will be appreciated.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob, looks like the 595 are 240-260 treadware much harder than this track tire. Disclaimer tread ware ratings vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. The 200 tread ware wars are raging now in SCCA, ChampCar and Ultmate Street Car Challenge. Looks like this is competition in the DOT Race tires wars. If not looking fastest qualifying lap but a tire that has good grip and heat cycles well it could be an option. I sent an email to PTS to get more information.

Hobby will do
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 10-29-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Thank Bob, looks like the 595 are 240-260 treadware much harder than this track tire. Disclaimer tread ware ratings vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. The 200 tread ware wars are raging now in SCCA, ChampCar and Ultmate Street Car Challenge. Looks like this is competition in the DOT Race tires wars. If not looking fastest qualifying lap but a tire that has good grip and heat cycles well it could be an option. I sent an email to PTS to get more information.

Hobby will do

If you are looking for a good 200 TW tire, the RE-71R's are definitely the "softest" tire that will put down the fastest lap, but will not last an 8 hour race on our '93 Acura Integra setup for Champ Car racing. We prefer the current Dunlop and Falken Azenis 200 TW options for the endurance racing.

The grip level is pretty good with our car, even with only 205\55\15's, our peak lateral G's is 1.25-1.30. I can only imagine was some wider tires would do on a light 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure the car would be fun on a 200TW tire and have given them some thought, my Track ops manager has RE71's on his car and they are impressive. Rule of thumb here is they are 5-6 seconds slower than the DOT R tires Hoosier R7's of BFG R1S which is still quick. But I think the ego stroke of running down GT3's, Corvettes and Cayman GT4's and others is hard to step away from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mitch, did you ever get a set of these for this season?
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    No I haven't I have been waffling on which way to go, today I am leaning towards Hoosiers. Tomorrow I could go the other way. I need to make a decision my BFG's took 6 laps to get enough heat to feel comfortable, LOL they were used up the end of last season.