Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  76
Likes Likes:  47
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Redbone Has Graduated / The Official Dark Side Build Thead

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

I like the mirrors! I think they complement the shape of the car.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 02-24-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

2. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking good GoDadGo!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

4. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just got back into town and my grill material showed up this past week according to my better half, who is also known as The Wonderful Mrs. Go-Dad!
    We are using the Perforated Black GT Style and it will be fitted into all of the grill openings since I Am Not A Fan Of Rocking The Radiator!
    The link for the vendor is shown below if any of you are interested.

https://www.customcargrills.com/Perf...Grill-Mesh.asp

Custom Car Grills has all sorts of grill options so poke around their website if are thinking about Grilling Your Factory Five.
    Anyway, that is what I'll be doing today so I hope I don't screw it up.
    Have A Great Weekend Wrenching Y'all!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-09-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you get it installed Steve, show us what ya got!

RickP

7. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    When you get it installed Steve, show us what ya got!

RickP
    Rick,

I'm finally home so I was able to do some work on the car.
    We mounted the lights and other stuff before I blow it apart for body work and paint.
    We also logged approximately 15-20 more test miles over the weekend.
    The video below is what it looks like as of Saturday evening:

https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-24-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve it looks good!
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

10. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Logged some test miles yesterday and installed the trunk latch and while moving things around a bit to perfect the hood, trunk and door placements.
    Still looking for a licence plate solution so it looks like I'll be doing The Kleiner Mod if I don't go off the reservation once again.
    So far this is the only solution that somewhat appeals to me, other than the Sir Jeffski Soluation, is the frame shown below:

http://www.billetspecialties.com/ext...-frames/55220/

NOTE:..For the record Jeff really should start billing me hourly for assistance; however, he doesn't know where I live yet.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-31-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Logged some test miles yesterday and installed the trunk latch and while moving things around a bit to perfect the hood, trunk and door placements.
    Still looking for a licence plate solution so it looks like I'll be doing The Kleiner Mod if I don't go off the reservation once again.
    So far this is the only solution that somewhat appeals to me, other than the Sir Jeffski Soluation, is the frame shown below:

http://www.billetspecialties.com/ext...-frames/55220/

NOTE:..For the record Jeff really should start billing me hourly for assistance; however, he doesn't know where I live yet.
    Good to talk with you again today Steve! Do what I said and you'll get that trunk lid to fit If you use that plate frame you'll need to get rid of the lamp "wart" on the deck lid. Oh, don't worry, I'm logging hours

Jeff

13. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve: Here is my solution (you need to look close). There is no critical info in the marking at the bottom center of the AZ plate, so I notched the plate to fit over the trunk handle. (You need to look close) Although the "Kleiner Mod" is one solution, I was not comfortable cutting the lens of the light.

IMG_20180318_115857435_HDRr.jpg
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

15. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    20150812_172845.jpg

Hi Steve, I am happy with they way I did my license plate. Bought a chrome frame and high intensity LEDs from Pep Boys. Cut a hole in the plate and notched the frame. LEDs work well as back-up lights. All vital elements of the plate remain visible.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

17. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Steve. I like your 383 badge.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

19. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Steve. Love the 383!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve:

A closer image of my license plate mod...I used a hole saw to make the hole at the handle location (...measure twice, cut once...), then used sharp snips to cut the bottom, extending from the edges of the hole. I used a bit of left-over edge protector to dress up the hole a bit. The license plate frame is not modified and effectively hides the hole! LicensePlateMod.jpg
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We logged some test miles, on the trailer this time, and took the Cobra to two car shows on Saturday.
    To say the least the car was well received at both venues, even by the Two Cobra Replica Owners (ERA & Contemporary) that I met.
    Since both Cobra Replicas were FE Powered, those fellows couldn't believe the amount of room I had under the hood compared to their rides.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...hmentid=105129
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...hmentid=105128

All of the folks that I talked to were surprised at the quality of the build, quality of the unpainted body and shocked when I fired it up.
    For those that don't know a 383 SBC tends to be a little loud with 10.00 to 1 compression, tall port heads, single plane intake and a healthy cam.
    I will likely need to look into some Quiet Pipes once we are titled and street legal because I've got a noise problem, a big one.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Earplugs! Everyone else has a noise problem.

Your car is looking good. Wish I was as far along as you are.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear that you are getting out. The two photo links do not work for me. 404 Error.

We logged some test miles, on the trailer this time, and took the Cobra to two car shows on Saturday.
    To say the least the car was well received at both venues, even by the Two Cobra Replica Owners (ERA & Contemporary) that I met.
    Since both Cobra Replicas were FE Powered, those fellows couldn't believe the amount of room I had under the hood compared to their rides.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...hmentid=105129

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...hmentid=105128

All of the folks that I talked to were surprised at the quality of the build, quality of the unpainted body and shocked when I fired it up.
    For those that don't know a 383 SBC tends to be a little loud with 10.00 to 1 compression, tall port heads, single plane intake and a healthy cam.
    I will likely need look into some Quiet Pipes once we are titled and street legal because I've got a noise problem, a big one.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Great to hear that you are getting out. The two photo links do not work for me. 404 Error.
    Thanks CDXXVII, I think I got the link thing fixed!

NOTE: The best part of the day was having my Brother and Son display their cars along side mine at the earlier event.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-07-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve your photo links are working

Glad to see you are getting out and I agree with Jim “earplugs”

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

27. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good job Steve! More car shows are coming up.

BTW, I have to wear ear plugs when I drive mine too; more than a couple of miles and my ears feel like I just left a heavy metal rock concert.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

29. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm wrapping up a few small projects on the car that are really bugging me before I blow it apart to start the body work.
    I've gotten expert advice from Sir Jeffski on areas to focus and my pal Darrell-Darrell will be inspecting my work since he'll be doing the final spray out.
    The only thing is I really don't want pull it apart after having it look like a real car, but this monkey needs to be off my back and this project need to be finished.
    All I can say is this journey, which was delayed by all sorts of personal stuff in 2017 and 2018, is finally nearing completion.

https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-21-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get'er done Steve!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1. Added a new/separate circuit for the fan.
    2. Added two 5/8" spacers under the front fenders, near the X-Brace, to better support the body.
    3. Reset the timing, removed the vacuum advance and adjusted the carburetor.
    4. Messed with the oil temperature sending unit to get that gauge kicking once more.
    5. Logged 10-15 more test miles after these minor projects were done.

Next project will be an oil change and coolant flush.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK i'm late to the party on this post - a dart SHP / 383- NICE. I have a soft spot in my heart for SBCs - they really succeeded with the whole 5 head bolts vs. 4 w/Ford Windsors- love the setup my man-

Post Thanks / Like
    You have it going, it is doing great, why not put paint off for a year?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holding off on paint would be my choice as well. Gives you a chance to test, tune, & adjust just in case. If course I'm not a paint guy so that does factor into my opinion; I'll hold off on paint until some young buck gets the car.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Update On Road Testing:

We just got back from putting 15-17 more test miles on the car and so far things seem to be going well, but I must admit to being paranoid.
    The new circuit for the fan is working out perfectly since we hand an issue with the relay giggling loose.

> I adjusted the timing, idle mixtures and choke after the engine was up to proper operating temperatures. (165-185 Water / 185-200 Oil)
    > I've disconnected the vacuum advance which has made a great improvement in drive-ability since I don't pull a lot of vacuum anyway.
    > The car is fairly happy between 1,500-1,700 RPM once it is warmed up properly, but below 1,500 the car lugs a good bit as expected.
    > A Fairly Large Camshaft, Big Heads, Single Plane Intake, 800 CFM Carb Shouldn't Like To Operate That Low But They Are Doing Well!
    > We added the aluminum tabs for the hood latches to rest in and notched them so they stay put without having to be locked in place.
    > The Rev-Limiter is still set at 4,200 RPM's since we are in test and tune mode while breaking in the engine at the same time.
    > Ordered a nice Dura-Block kit, various sand paper grits and 3M Premium Marine Filler since I'm familiar with that stuff.

So far we've logged around 95-100 test miles and burned about 10-12 gallons of gas.
    This is a Guesstimate since the Speedo isn't hooked up, but one round-trip on my normal route is 5 miles.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-06-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I started sanding today using a couple of little air sanders that seem to be working pretty well.
    The goal is to take down the Mold Parting Lines before I get into the heavier sanding.
    Shown below are the items that I recently purchased:

2" Mini Dual Action Sander:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/air-an...der-93629.html

3/8" Mini Belt Sander:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...der-60627.html

Hopefully these two little sanders will help me keep the body filler to a minimum.
    I'll be sure to post a video, including my opinion of these tools, once this task has been completed.
    I've been given some Expert Advice from a well known professional builder/painter so lets hope I can make this happen.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I started sanding today using a couple of little air sanders that seem to be working pretty well.
    The goal is to take down the Mold Parting Lines before I get into the heavier sanding.
    Shown below are the items that I recently purchased:

2" Mini Dual Action Sander:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/air-an...der-93629.html

3/8" Mini Belt Sander:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...der-60627.html

Hopefully these two little sanders will help me keep the body filler to a minimum.
    I'll be sure to post a video, including my opinion of these tools, once this task has been completed.
    I've been given some Expert Advice from a well known professional builder/painter so lets hope I can make this happen.
    The Body Parting Lines Have Been Sanded Down & Came Out A-Okay!

https://youtu.be/_3sLamdkIFg

We'll knock that last two down down once we take Humpty Dumpty apart to start the real sanding chores.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks nice and neat Steve however you'll need to go out wider before you start putting down filler.

Carry on!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    That looks nice and neat Steve however you'll need to go out wider before you start putting down filler.

Carry on!

Jeff
    I plan to do exactly that after I blow it apart!
    Thanks Again For All The Expert Advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda' like this:

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazed at how much refinement has been done with the mold process on the MK4 body, compared to the previous models. Did FFR hire a new company to make them?
    The parting lines on my 3.1 body were just nasty compared to yours, and supposedly the 3.1 body's, were a big improvement over the previous models.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks real good. Those parting lines look very civilized

BTW when did you get your kit ?

Keep up the great work and keep listening to Jeff and Jeff Inc.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    AC Bill,
    I don't know who is building the bodies, but there is a huge difference between MK-4 and the earlier series.
    I actually looked at other builders, prior to the MK-4 arrived, because the earlier F-5 bodies were a tad rough; however, their chassis were the best of them all.

Presto51
    My kit was produced in early 2015 and the chassis number is 8,515.
    Be advised that I won't be going off of Jeff's play book so hopefully I'll one day earn that coveted P.O.M. honor, but that's a long way away.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The last of my body work supplies arrived today which included multiple Dura Blocks, various Dura sandpaper rolls, Evercoat Rage Gold Premium Filler and Evercoat Fiber Tech to work the upper inner corner's of the doors.

I plan to sand the body by hand, using a trace coat, prior applying any body filler.

This is what the car looks like today, which is our Mold Parting Lines Removal Video:

https://youtu.be/_3sLamdkIFg
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-15-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Enter Sandman!

I've finally started the sanding process and have found that my work smoothing the parting lines is really paying off.
    I'm trying hard to pay attention to what I am doing so that when I start to apply the Evercoat Rage Gold I will be able to do so very sparingly.
    The goal is to paint the car Dodge Challenger Torred, with no stripes, no scoop in an attempt to keep it simple and in the flavor of CSX-3178.
    Hopefully it will be Jeff Kleiner Kool once completed because Jeff has been coaching me every step on this phase of my build.

How Cool/Kool Is That?
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-17-2019 at 01:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's been a while since I could get into the garage, but we made some progress today with smoothing out the parting lines.

https://youtu.be/meBYeI96_A8

When you are accustom to sanding fishing boats with long straight lines the hour glass shape of a Cobra can be intimidating.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-04-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

49. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    While you are making your parting lines look nice and smooth you're going to want more tooth for Rage than the 400 will provide. I go with 80.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Steve,
    While you are making your parting lines look nice and smooth you're going to want more tooth for Rage than the 400 will provide. I go with 80.

Jeff
    Good To Know & Thanks!

I'll scuff the body up with 80 up before I apply the Rage.

Again, Many Thanks!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast