Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Powder coat cost

Post Thanks / Like

Powder coat cost

I am curious what the average cost to powder coat the aluminum is? I know different areas, different shops change cost. Just looking for an average range to budget.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard anything from about $400 to $800 depending on the variables you mentioned above.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thank you. As a beginner to this, what is the benefit to doing it other than cosmetic? What would be the issues if left natural?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by capt1black View Post
    Great, thank you. As a beginner to this, what is the benefit to doing it other than cosmetic? What would be the issues if left natural?
    I think treating the bare metal in some way to prevent oxidation is the most practical reason for doing something other than raw. That said, you can treat the raw aluminum with a product like Shark Hide:

https://www.amazon.com/Sharkhide-Met...6658338&sr=8-1

My recommendation would to either powder coat or go raw with Shark Hide. If you go raw, prep the metal so that it looks nice before treating it.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Thanks capt1black thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I paid $500 for all panels and brackets. I would do it again the same way. You get to pick your finish, texture and color as well for a bit more customization.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

7. Thanks capt1black thanked for this post
    Likes bldr.rob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had all panels and unfinished brackets done for about $650. Could have saved a some $$ by picking a less expensive color/texture of powder and skipped panels that would never be seen.

It feels wrong, but this weekend I am going to scuff up my beautiful powder coated cockpit panels in preparation for spraying in the LizardSkin sound and heat reduction coatings...
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I am thinking of doing the visible panels in powder coat and using the shark hide on the others for protection as mentioned by Papa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Up here in Howell MI my guy does all the aluminum for$225 to $250 depending on Coupe or Roadster.
    Todd Baumann
    FFR Build School Instructor 16+ Years Mott Community College
    FFR 2086 MKI, 22+ years on the road
    FFR 300 MKI Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    I was stunned today when I went looking for a local to powder coat the door latch and hinge brackets.. $175-$200 for a very small pile of parts. I guess I'm getting out the rattle-cans..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    The POR15 paint system is awesome stuff.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid $400 for my wheels to be powder coated

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid $750 for the Chassis and all panels. Once I had more things accrued after the original batch, he did those for $50. I bought the powder. He blasted, prepped, and coated everything perfectly. If you're looking for anything other than the standard, medium gloss black, it makes all the difference.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a guy here in KC who ceramic coated my pipes for $218. He does the wheels for $75/wheels. Not sure about all the other stuff. He is a founding member of the Cobra Club here.

Post Thanks / Like
    All together mine was around $1,200 for powder and ceramic coating for the exhaust. But that included all aluminum, all chrome, wheels and exhaust.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shark Hide is the way to go, wish I knew about it before I assembled my car. It can be touched up if needed, powder coat not so well. Powder coat is only an encapsulation, doesn't have the true bond to the metal and will start flaking off if it gets a starting point.
    7891RD arrived 10/02/2012, Go Kart 10/18/2013, Graduated 7/27/2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie67 View Post
    Shark Hide is the way to go, wish I knew about it before I assembled my car. It can be touched up if needed, powder coat not so well. Powder coat is only an encapsulation, doesn't have the true bond to the metal and will start flaking off if it gets a starting point.
    Not sure how you came up with this. Properly applied, the only way to remove PC is with heat or very strong chemicals. Even brake fluid doesn't take it off, only discolors it. If it's flaking off is wasn't applied properly as it will bond to metal far better than paint, that includes Shark Hide.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I have spent $460 so far on PC. Had all the visible panels (basically all the firewall forward) painted. As well as several brackets and things. Then my dash, dash plates and a few knobs.

I provided them to the shop pretty well prepped.
    Michael aka @my_cobra_build on Instagram
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Base MK IV Roadster with several options. Body is Lamborghini Grigio Lynx w/ Audi Vesuvius Gray stripes. 25th Anniversary FFR wheels. Seats and interior by Intatrim.
    Gen1 Coyote w/ Comp Cams & Cobrajet manifold. Tremec TKO 600 w/ a midshift kit. 2015 IRS w/ 3.73 Torsen diff. FFR Headers, Gas N Pipes, Power steering & power brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here. I'll be taking all of my engine bay aluminum to the powder coater next week and using Sharkhide on all others that won't be seen unless you're under the car.
    Mark IV Complete kit delivered 7/7/20
    Blueprint 427 ordered 11/23/20

21. Likes Hacksaw84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I'm jealous of these figures you guys are quoting. In my area, I couldn't get all the panels and misc. parts PC'd for less than $2500. I opted for only those that are visible in the engine bay and currently exploring this for everything else. Did a sample spray out on some spare aluminum and seems to be durable and I can do touch-ups on my own.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It definitely varies based on labor rates and rent and other costs of doing business in a given area. I just had all my chassis aluminum and various small parts (74 parts in total) PC'ed and definitely paid SF Bay Area prices - nearly $1,300 to have everything PC'ed.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.