FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 7 or 8 qt oil pan?

Post Thanks / Like

7 or 8 qt oil pan?

When I purchased the Cobra he told me it was an 8qt oil pan. However, when i filled it with 8 qts its about 1 quart over on my dipstick. Im wondering if its a 7 qt pan. Here's a pic of it. Does anyone have the same pan and could confirm 7 or 8qt?
    oil pan.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Some basic info would really help out here. Engine type and brand name of the oil pan?

From the picture, it might be a black powdercoated Canton. Most are 7 qts but not all. Your dipstick is the best guide to what you really need.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 97 cobra engine and purchased a Champ pan. If that is what you have I believe it is 7 quarts. www.champpans.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if it's full when you add 7 qts, then it's a 7 qt pan. As said, you can just go by the dipstick.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine Type:1997 Lincoln Mark VII DHOC
    Pan Brand: I dont know. I cant find a stamp on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...-size/4-6l-281

Almost all of the aftermarket oil pans for the 4.6 are 6 or 7 qt.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Champ pan is the same way. Although it's advertised as an 8-quart pan, this is the level with a little less than 6 1/2 quarts of oil:

IMG_5531 by jhsitton, on Flickr

However, according to http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...ge-tray-do.64/, there's an additional two quarts that's in the upper engine & filter at operating temperature. So for the Champ pan if you want the oil level at temperature to be just below the windage tray, then 8 quarts is how much oil you need in total.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    AWESOME PIC!
    If you add 8 quarts, does your dipstick read about a quart over the fill line?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpariso View Post
    John,
    AWESOME PIC!
    Only when it's inserted in the engine.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

11. Likes BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    AWESOME PIC!
    I'm going to say yes, but truth be told I have no way of knowing how much over the fill line it reads. Note that for this pan, the dipstick bung is on top of one of the side wings; you can see it at the bottom right of the picture. You have to plug the dipstick opening on the block, because the windage tray prevents the dipstick from being fully inserted in the stock location.

Also I should have mentioned: everything I've told you is for the Ford 302. I have no first-hand knowledge of the other engines.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the thing the shape of the pan can do weird stuff to the level. Key is the stick if its the original one that came with the car. The stick is measuring the level of the oil below the rotating parts of the engine. Regardless of what capacity the pan has or is supposed to have just add oil till the stick says full. Run the engine recheck for the now filled oil filter or cooler & top up till the stick says full.

Hopefully you will have kept track of how much went in so next time its an easier process.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    When I purchased the Cobra he told me it was an 8qt oil pan. However, when i filled it with 8 qts its about 1 quart over on my dipstick. Im wondering if its a 7 qt pan. Here's a pic of it. Does anyone have the same pan and could confirm 7 or 8qt?
    oil pan.jpg
    It looks like it could be a Champ CP4654 road race pan. The factory pans are a silver color, but the previous owner may have painted it. I would try to contact the previous owner and verify what you have. My pan is a CP4654 with a 4654SB pickup. I had to install an aftermarket dipstick in order to see the fluid level when the pan was filled with the recommended seven quarts. The fluid level is farther away from the crank, so the stock dipstick isn't long enough. I verified the capacity with the vendor before going with the longer dipstick. No issues in 6 years of HPDE track days.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is a Canton 7 quart. I had to modify the oil pickup and the internal baffles in order to use the stock dipstick. As long the oil level is fine on the stock dip stick and the new volume is equal to or greater than the OEM pan, you are good to go. Be sure the gap between the pickup and the bottom of the pan is as per design.

528D0613-59B3-4FD3-B961-FF582CB9CA21.jpeg
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    This situation can really be a problem. It doesn't matter if it's 7 or 8 qts. What matters is how full the pan gets. John's picture would be a good guide. Full to just below the tray so that the crank doesn't whip up the oil into a froth. The problem is how to determine that w/ an unknown pan. I was lucky on my 351 when I installed a Canton pan because I still had the OEM dipstick that went in through the front cover. So I used it to fine tune my level, then made a mark on the dipstick that came w/ the pan. That mark was maybe 1/4 inch from correct according to the mark the stick came with. I hope Walt is correct on the pan's identity. That will make things a lot easier. Best wishes.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Well, if it's full when you add 7 qts, then it's a 7 qt pan. As said, you can just go by the dipstick.
    And that there is the answer you're looking for. Of course, that's after the filter and oil cooler are full and the oil level is at the dipstick full mark.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build