FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Throttle Cable Sticking

Post Thanks / Like

Throttle Cable Sticking

Is there a better throttle cable assembly available than what comes with the G3 Coupe kit? Mine gets heat soaked and then starts hanging up. Insulation just delays the heat soak. It seems the plastic lining inside the cable housing gets soft and starts adhering to the cable. A cable housing w/o the plastic lining would probably work well, but I can't find such a thing. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    It should work OK but it does need to be routed away from the exhaust. What engine and how do you have it set up?
    I went with Forte's mechanical linkage this time. Takes more time to install but it works well.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    It exits the foot box right inline with the pedal linkage, loops upward then back to the firewall (following the frame) directly behind the carb then loops toward the carb. It has a 351W with a quick fuel carb. I don't think it comes within a foot of the header at any point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered the Lokar throttle cable options. I'm using one on my MK4 withe the same S curve routing and like it.

I bought part number: TC-1000HT36
    Last edited by Papa; 10-30-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    A simple solution I noticed that would work on my roadster was to just mount the carb. backwards. This allows a gentle bend in the cable around the front of the carb, and no tight "S" curves. Has worked well for 7 years now.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! This is the kind of info I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other option is a mechanical linkage. Either a kit from Forte or build your own from lists supplied in the past here and/or the other forum. I know it's more work but it is so much better you won't believe it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.