FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Grill finishes

Post Thanks / Like

Grill finishes

Guys

From pics I have seen of finished 33's I see for the grills there are some painted, some polished and possible some chromed grills out there.

Any input from experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am wrestling with the appearance on mine. Sanding, polishing, and buffing does make them look appreciably better. Mine was nearly 6 years old before I began to drive the car. I drove the car for a year after completing the roadster version. Now I can recognize different effects against the finished paint. I am leaning towards polishing it. Less than chrome will better match my front suspension components.

IMG_0358.jpgIMG_0359.jpgIMG_0360.jpgIMG_0361.jpgIMG_0362.jpgIMG_0363.jpgIMG_0365.jpg

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is a driver, coatings will get rock chips and that's not very attractive. Chrome is very cool ad holds up well on a driver but expensive.

I polished mine but not to a mirror finish -- it's semi-glossy and much easier to maintain that way. A quick rub with polishing paste and it's like new. A mirror finish would take hours to restore and paint, powder coating, etc. would require a lot of sanding and recoating to repair road dings. Think about sanding in all those hard to reach areas.

4. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is chrome and is very easy to clean, but very pricey to have done. The finish will really depend on the look you're going after. Chrome is my favorite color so I got lucky.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my grill, windshield frame and roll bar chromed to show quality by Electro Plating of El paso (Electroplatingelpasp.com) for about $1800 plug sipping. I've used them on other projects with award winning finishes 01392e13c28ddfc37e4d3156dc950058f7bcd36940_00001.jpg0190c7c555028044a31c1dd9864a27dac00c7da957_00001.jpg

7. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post
    Likes Bgardner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great

I think I will go this route, will need to think about the other parts as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    Mine is chrome and is very easy to clean, but very pricey to have done. The finish will really depend on the look you're going after. Chrome is my favorite color so I got lucky.
    Bill do you have a picture or a posting somewhere I can look at grill

Post Thanks / Like
    I just pulled my grill out of the box to begin polishing it. I think I will go for the satin look that NAZ talked about. What concerns me are some imperfections in the material. Some are quite deep. Is this common? What is the best way to deal with these?IMG_1264.JPGIMG_1263.JPGIMG_1265.JPG
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    HVACMAN, I used a combination of power sanders to deal with the imperfections to get them close enough they are hard to see. The other advantage of using a satin finish is it tends to hide some of these imperfections. Think about how a shinny finish reflects the light so perfect that every wave in the surface is highlighted -- satin will hide much of that waviness from the imperfect casting.

My finish is somewhere between mirror finish and fine Scotchbrite. I used a medium corse aluminum polish, the kind you would use after 2500 grit sandpaper and before the final extra fine polish. Looks good but I was building a race car not a show car. My friend polished his 34 Ford radiator grill to a mirror finish (took him weeks to get it perfect) and spends hours keeping it shinny. After seeing mine he decided to make his look like mine as it's so much easier to keep looking good. IMO if you want shinny go with chrome. If you want practical good looks go with a satin finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgardner View Post
    Bill do you have a picture or a posting somewhere I can look at grill
    IMG_2028 - Copy.JPG
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

13. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post
    Likes Bgardner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    HVACMAN, I used a combination of power sanders to deal with the imperfections to get them close enough they are hard to see. The other advantage of using a satin finish is it tends to hide some of these imperfections. Think about how a shinny finish reflects the light so perfect that every wave in the surface is highlighted -- satin will hide much of that waviness from the imperfect casting.

My finish is somewhere between mirror finish and fine Scotchbrite. I used a medium corse aluminum polish, the kind you would use after 2500 grit sandpaper and before the final extra fine polish. Looks good but I was building a race car not a show car. My friend polished his 34 Ford radiator grill to a mirror finish (took him weeks to get it perfect) and spends hours keeping it shinny. After seeing mine he decided to make his look like mine as it's so much easier to keep looking good. IMO if you want shinny go with chrome. If you want practical good looks go with a satin finish.
    Thanks NAZ. I wasn't sure if there was some type of filler for these because they are deep. I probably shouldn't worry, I'm not building a show car either. My skills aren't that good. My goal is a nice 50-50 (50 mph at 50 feet) daily driver.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.