BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fitting the Hood

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fitting the Hood

I am ow fitting the hood but am having trouble with the gap on passenger side. The body is square to centerline of frame and grill but on the passenger side I have a 3/4" gap, on drivers side 1/4" gap. what do I need to do? have tried adjusting grill / radiator assembly with no luck. do I really need to remove 1/2' from the driver side of hood?
    I will post pictures when I figure out to

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Set every side as close as you can, see if you can work out the shortages to one specific section. I would be judicious about using filler to extend the edges. Build structural glass to fill the gap. Just an opinion

IMG_2455.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeman View Post
    I am ow fitting the hood but am having trouble with the gap on passenger side. The body is square to centerline of frame and grill but on the passenger side I have a 3/4" gap, on drivers side 1/4" gap. what do I need to do? have tried adjusting grill / radiator assembly with no luck. do I really need to remove 1/2' from the driver side of hood?

Bob
    Hey Bob, I had a similar situation however I also had a lot more material on the nose of the hood which allowed me to slide the hood back to the body until I had a close tight fit. Then I made the front end fit at the grill, see the pics i had taken. One thing I did notice just in time is that the body was not pulled tight to the firewall, this would have screwed up this alignment in the end at final assembly, I unfortunately I did not catch it in time for the doors and will need to make some excessive gap adjustment on them like Bill with fiberglass on the face so as not to have excessive putty there, its not much, an eighth but enough to make me crazy.
    20180714_204424.jpg 20180714_221130.jpg 20180714_201844.jpg
    PS. When setting up anything that requires fit, 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" masking tape is your best friend! As well small pieces of 1/8" and 3/16" aluminum pieces for gap testing! The tape is essential for transferring the hard edges to doors, hood, trunk, tc...
    20180527_145910.jpg 20180808_193004.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeman View Post

Bob
    Hey Bob, I think I have an idea on whats going on, can you take a picture that shows how the hood sits overall? The pictures you have are tight in and a shot directly in front centered on the car and grill with the body in the background will help. Here is a shot i found that shows what I mean, but if you can take it higher up it would help. I think your body on the frame may be slightly out of square which would do this, I had a similar problem and Tony Z helped out in getting it squared up a bit better, it really does not take much.
    20180714_194446.jpg