Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lowered transmission mount

Post Thanks / Like

Lowered transmission mount

Have not liked the tilt of engine toward front causing oiling issues. Already have engine mounted and all
    accessories. Thus did not want to redo engine mounts.
    Hobby Racer did a nice writeup and I did similar with my mount being slightly different.
    Used 80A liquid urethane with activator.
    Pictures attached:

Mold I made using cardboard and hot glue. Tack welded plate added to hold 2 parts together.

Mold laying in sand to catch any leaky liquid rubber.

Mount after rubber poured in. Cures overnight.

Finished mount almost one inch lower than stock. Makes big change level.

What the stock mount looks like after being cut in half.

Big thanks to Hobby Racer for the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job! Glad someone else is giving it a try. I did have my mount separate after some hard track sessions. The urethane does not do great in tension. If I did it again I would weld some retention pieces to each half to give the urethane something to anchor to.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I did, minus the tack-welding. I used duct tape like a proper Florida boy. After reading about your experience, hobby, I'm going to go back and add a bolt or two. Also changing the way I made my motor mounts. Those really bother me, now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was this with stock motor mounts? Mine are much more solid, not sure if I could bend the back down.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    That's what I did, minus the tack-welding. I used duct tape like a proper Florida boy. After reading about your experience, hobby, I'm going to go back and add a bolt or two. Also changing the way I made my motor mounts. Those really bother me, now.
    All you really need is something welded back on the ends of the upper plate to hook the ends of the lower plate, like you see on the stock mount. Just a catch in case of failure.
    The Undead Gearhead, back from beyond the grave

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you tacked something to them to hold the shape while you filled it. I left my pieces as they were and just filled in the ends with urethane. Actually, now that I look at it again, I don't think I have to worry about it separating. Those blobs on the end should hold it. I did manage to delaminate one of the engine mounts, though, soooooooo I'll be reworking those. Gonna make a mount from scratch.

edit, forgot a link to the picture
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...9&d=1517197688

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m trying to post a picture but my phone and I aren’t getting along, but on page 5 of my build thread there’s some pics of mine. My top piece wraps around the bottom piece. I was also worried about the urethane separating from the mounts.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Nice job! Glad someone else is giving it a try. I did have my mount separate after some hard track sessions. The urethane does not do great in tension. If I did it again I would weld some retention pieces to each half to give the urethane something to anchor to.
    I had used a similar approach and also had mine separate shortly after installation (plates were sand blasted, but perhaps not enough to give good bite?). When I redid it I added a 5/16 bolt through the two halves at each end. Have not tested adequately to see if this works.

With my transmission now level, I'm unsure what to do about oil quantity. It would seem one could use the OEM marks on the dipstick to get the correct amount. What have others with with level transmissions done?