Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: EFI fuel lines-routing?

Post Thanks / Like

EFI fuel lines-routing?

I purchased the Factory Five EFI in tank fuel pump. It comes with flexible fuel lines which the instructions say to route to the engine bay through the drive train tunnel. I always thought that routing fuel lines through the drive train tunnel was something you should never do because of the fire risk from a broken drive shaft, etc. Is this no longer a concern? Are those of you that have this set-up running them through the tunnel? If not, what are you doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the prevailing wisdom is not to run brake or fuel lines through the trans tunnel. The fuel lines route nicely along the 4" frame on the passenger side of the car, which is where most of the builds I've used for reference run them.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Dave. Since it's possible (and just as easy) to run fuel & brake lines on the outside of the 4" tubes do so.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the feedback and agree however, the issue is that the flexible fuel lines (there is a return line as well) that are provided by FFR are not long enough to route that way. The instructions say to bring them off the gas tank, run them at the top of the transmission tunnel (secured with C clamps and zip ties) and connect them to the fuel pressure regulator that is mounted on the firewall. They are not long enough to run from the gas tank down to the 4 inch tube, in to the engine bay then up to the pressure regulator (at least not where I have to mount my regular). In order to run a fuel line outside the 4" tube I will have to purchase after market lines and components and build them. I'm struggling with whether or not to do that. Why would FFR design the provide lines with instructions to route them that way? Has anyone else used the flexible lines provided and installed them as instructed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Refreshing this thread because I have the exact same question! I also purchased the FFR EFI kit and I'm at the point of laying out my fuel line route from the tank to the engine compartment. I would prefer to run as discussed above but I also have some really nice hoses with fittings on them that are the length they are... Any other feedback on this topic?

Randy - what did you decide to do in the end?

Also curious about the charcoal canister mount for cars with the 2015 IRS. The recommended mounting location makes it such that the canister would be touching the center section once installed. I don't like this idea so I'm looking for thoughts on the charcoal canister mounting location also.

Cheers,
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Most run both lines, up high, on the outside of the passenger 4" main chassis tube.

Charcoal cannister can be fitted just under the fuel fill cap in the passenger rear wheel well attached to the fill tube.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    While mine and all the FFRs I have been around have the tubes going up the outside of the 4 inch tube, I don't have a big problem putting them in the tunnel. If I were running real drag tires maybe a different story. Kind of playing the probabilities. Yes you could blow out a drive shaft or clutch. You could also run over something that could damage lines on the frame tube.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.