Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Coyote Coolant Hoses

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Coolant Hoses

I apologize if this has been covered. If it has; I cannot find the definitive answer.
    I am using the Moroso expansion tank that mimics the stock Ford plastic tank connections.
    I am in agreement that the smaller hose that connects to the radiator barb fitting does indeed have a check valve in it.
    My question is, which way does this flow?
    According to stock pictures on the interweb and me "blowing" into the hose; the flow direction is towards the radiator. However, according to the flow diagram I received from Ford Racing; the flow is towards the overflow tank.
    Confused I am...

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you're asking about FR3Z-8075-C. Have one installed in #8674, and have a brand new one ready to install in my Coupe build. But I'm not home for another week and a half, so can't check them precisely. Aren't the ends of the hose marked with where they attach, e.g. reservoir, radiator, etc.? As I recall they are. I can't cite the concept behind the check valve. But suggest mounting it the way it's marked and call it a day.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember which way it flows but here is what it looks like on the tank end.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Sounds like you're asking about FR3Z-8075-C. Have one installed in #8674, and have a brand new one ready to install in my Coupe build. But I'm not home for another week and a half, so can't check them precisely. Aren't the ends of the hose marked with where they attach, e.g. reservoir, radiator, etc.? As I recall they are. I can't cite the concept behind the check valve. But suggest mounting it the way it's marked and call it a day.
    edwardb,
    Mine is part # BR3Z-8075-B which I believe is the same basic hose. Mine is not marked which end goes where. My radiator hoses were marked. Please understand that I am not "bucking" the system but rather trying to make sure I do install it the way it is supposed to go. Since this "jewel" is a $55 dollar hose; I want to make sure it is installed correctly so it can do what it is supposed to do..
    Thank you for the response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    I don't remember which way it flows but here is what it looks like on the tank end.

Kevin,
    Thanks for the reply. Yours appears to be installed like the stock Mustang pictures I see on the web. That is, with the metal band nearest the overflow tank. Seems like that may be opposite of what the Coyote coolant diagram is showing.
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottamann View Post
    edwardb,
    Mine is part # BR3Z-8075-B which I believe is the same basic hose. Mine is not marked which end goes where. My radiator hoses were marked. Please understand that I am not "bucking" the system but rather trying to make sure I do install it the way it is supposed to go. Since this "jewel" is a $55 dollar hose; I want to make sure it is installed correctly so it can do what it is supposed to do..
    Thank you for the response.
    I have no idea what you mean by "bucking the system." My response wasn't meant to be negative in any way. Only citing my experience and that while I didn't completely understand the concept of the hose, I installed it the same as Ford does. My hoses are marked, as slightly visible in this stock picture of a Gen 2 Coyote in a Mustang. Also shows the clamp near the expansion tank end, which I believe is holding the check valve in place.

Also visible in these pictures during my Roadster build. Same as BEAR-AvHistory.

I'm not sure how to interpret the cooling system diagram since as I understand this particular hose is venting air not flowing coolant necessarily. But regardless I'm 100% confident this is the proper orientation of the hose. Nearly 4000 miles on the build and the cooling system works exactly how it's supposed to.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-02-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks edwardb for these pictures.
    I will install mine the same as yours.
    Didn't mean to overreact with my response. I was just a little frustrated.
    Also, I am a little frustrated that this particular hose wasn't included in the FFR "Coyote Installation Kit".
    It is also puzzling to me that the Ford engineers designed this system with the check valve and FFR just says "plug 'em off they are not needed".
    I really appreciate your help!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottamann View Post
    I am a little frustrated that this particular hose wasn't included in the FFR "Coyote Installation Kit". It is also puzzling to me that the Ford engineers designed this system with the check valve and FFR just says "plug 'em off they are not needed".
    Kind of apples and oranges. That hose isn't included because the FFR approach is much simpler. The Coyote connections are all blocked off except the large upper and lower radiator hoses. Then a T-filler in the top radiator hose and an overflow tank off the radiator cap. Functions OK once all the air is burped from the system and will vent fluid to the ground if necessary. Parts are included for this setup. The Coyote OE system is self-burping, doesn't need a T-filler, and is a closed system that works exactly the way the Ford engineers designed and tested for this engine. But needs all the OE hoses and connections to work that way. Strictly optional but many of us, including you apparently, decided it was worth it.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-02-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a personal choice how you plan for coolant expansion. I like the Keep It Simple S..... approach, and have often said "if it good enough for Dave Smith's car, it good enough for mine". I don't mind re-engineering if there's a good reason. It'll work better or look better. In the case of coolant expansion, the FFR approach works perfect with the use of a slightly larger O/F tank. No impact on the operation of the Coyote the way the Ford engineers had intended it to run. So it comes down to appearance. The FFR approach helps to keep the engine bay free of clutter in an already busy front end.
    Scottamann, it sounds like you've already purchased another option that will work just fine. Good luck with the rest of the build.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick, kinda off topic question. What point are coyote guys filling the system from? I am thinking about trying to fill from the heater hose points but that is gonna take a ton of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    It's a personal choice how you plan for coolant expansion. I like the Keep It Simple S..... approach, and have often said "if it good enough for Dave Smith's car, it good enough for mine". I don't mind re-engineering if there's a good reason. It'll work better or look better. In the case of coolant expansion, the FFR approach works perfect with the use of a slightly larger O/F tank. No impact on the operation of the Coyote the way the Ford engineers had intended it to run. So it comes down to appearance. The FFR approach helps to keep the engine bay free of clutter in an already busy front end.
    Scottamann, it sounds like you've already purchased another option that will work just fine. Good luck with the rest of the build.
    In the interest of completeness, you've left out one of the main advantages of the Ford cooling system approach. It doesn't require burping air out of the system during the initial or subsequent fills. Something a lot of builders struggle with and can have serious consequences if not done properly. The Ford OE setup completely eliminates this step and by design evacuates air from the cooling system continuously. Plus it doesn't vent to atmosphere including dumping fluid. Cost is king with OE's and they wouldn't use this design if it didn't have technical (and environmental) reasons to do so. Whether the expansion tank and a couple of mostly hidden hoses looks more cluttered than the T-filler and overflow tank is subjective and a matter of opinion. But again, as stated, 100% a personal choice and totally consistent with the creative aspects of these builds that many of us enjoy and much of the forum bandwidth is about.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-04-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthquazi View Post
    Just a quick, kinda off topic question. What point are coyote guys filling the system from? I am thinking about trying to fill from the heater hose points but that is gonna take a ton of time.
    With the FFR instructed setup, fill through the T-filler. Some will remove the caps on the cooling system on the engine and radiator so that air is evacuated as the coolant goes in. Then monitor as it goes through several heat cycles as additional air may be evacuated and more fluid required. Search "burping" and you'll get more details. For the Ford OE setup, per the original thread question, fill through the expansion tank to about half full. Check again after a couple heat cycles and fill back to halfway if needed. That's it.

14. Thanks Redlinejoev thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    With the FFR instructed setup, fill through the T-filler. Some will remove the caps on the cooling system on the engine and radiator so that air is evacuated as the coolant goes in. Then monitor as it goes through several heat cycles as additional air may be evacuated and more fluid required. Search "burping" and you'll get more details. For the Ford OE setup, per the original thread question, fill through the expansion tank to about half full. Check again after a couple heat cycles and fill back to halfway if needed. That's it.
    Copy that. I am following this set up for the expansion tank. Wasn't sure it would fill well through it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthquazi View Post
    Copy that. I am following this set up for the expansion tank. Wasn't sure it would fill well through it. Thanks.
    No worries. The coolant goes in through the expansion tank about as fast as you can pour it.

17. Likes scottamann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    This forum is a great asset.
    I appreciate everybody taking the time and effort to make it what it is.
    My first build was a “Component Craft” about 25 years ago. No forums and no factory support.
    It made for a long and difficult build.
    Thanks to all on this forum.
    Scott