Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: EFI Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

EFI Recommendations

I'm considering switching from a carburetor to EFI. Looking for recommendations on which brand has worked for you. Seems FiTech and Holley are the brands I see most, but I think MSD markets a system too. I'm running a 5.0 (302) with just under 400HP. Have an in-tank fuel pump and a return line. I do mostly street driving but occasionally I'll do an Autocross event or a road course (non-competitive) event. Thanks in advance for any recommendations, experience, and/or advice.
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a number of EFI systems available now - and you will get a lot of feedback here. I can only comment on two. I used the FAST EZ system for a couple of years. It would run ok, but not great. After rev stalling and struggles to get proper AFR at idle were the biggest issues. I just installed the Holley Sniper and there was an immediate improvement. Better throttle response, AFR control, and overall drive-ability. A week later I installed the Holley Dual Sync. I love it! This is the closest system (that I have run) to the factory EFI system that was on the car before. Only one week worth of driving before the snow hit, but it has my vote.

Good luck with your decision,

Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Some good reading here, re EFI swap over from carbs.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...-buyers-guide/

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the FAST EZ system also - stay away as far as possible. I hate it! Going to change over this winter to Sniper!
    FFR Complete MKIV Kit (#8271)
    Ordered: Jan 21, 14, Registered: Aug 19, 15
    408 Keith Craft Engine (512 hp, 534 ftlb), Tremec TKO600, Fast EFI, 8.8 Solid 3.55:1 Rear End, FFR Replica Halibrands (9 & 10-1/2"),
    Dual Chrome Roll Bars/Bumpers/Polished Exhaust, Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Msd installed with about 10k miles runs great it took a little while to get it running correctly but it was the first time I had ever installed an efi all things considered I would definitely recommend it

Rick

You can download their install instructions before you purchase to start getting a handle on what is required
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been very happy with the FiTech on my E cam equipped 306. It replaced a Powerjection unit that failed, and it’s a vast improvement. Good luck whichever way you go.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m running a Fitech 600 on my 331. I have a 195lph in the tank pump with 3/8 feedline and 5/16 return. Installation took about an hour, setup parameters were very easy to understand, and starts the motor with a flick of the key. I have only made minor changes to the run configuration. I have mine setup to not control the timing although it can (a raining day project for me). In making you choice, make sure you understand all the setup options that your car needs. Your distributor and electronic systems are just as important as your fuel systems in making your decision.
    Last edited by brewha; 11-03-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been researching EFI systems for my '67 Mustang lately, and I think I'm going to go with the Holley Sniper. It's highly recommended by a very well-respected local builder. I also like that it's a self-contained unit with the ECU onboard vs. having to mount a separate ECU somewhere. Holley recently introduced a fuel pump/pickup with regulator built in, making a returnless system so you don't have to run a return line. I haven't seen any real feedback on it yet, but it sounds like an interesting option and simplifies EFI conversion a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I've been researching EFI systems for my '67 Mustang lately, and I think I'm going to go with the Holley Sniper. It's highly recommended by a very well-respected local builder. I also like that it's a self-contained unit with the ECU onboard vs. having to mount a separate ECU somewhere. Holley recently introduced a fuel pump/pickup with regulator built in, making a returnless system so you don't have to run a return line. I haven't seen any real feedback on it yet, but it sounds like an interesting option and simplifies EFI conversion a bit.
    For what it's worth I spoke to two different Holley techs before I decided to go with a carb. The techs would not guarantee the sniper would work with the placement of their O2 sensor, be it in one header tube or in the side pipe. Thats what made me decide to go with the carb. Also, more than one builder has converted quite a few of these cars from FI back to a carb due to problems with the FI

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm incredibly happy with my fitech. Lots of options very simple to setup. Very good interface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvin View Post
    I have the FAST EZ system also - stay away as far as possible. I hate it! Going to change over this winter to Sniper!
    I agree. I had an EZ 2.0 system it was horrible, could not get it to run correctly. Eventually the Fast technician admitted that it wouldn't work correctly for my setup, and agreed to swap it to an XFI Sportsman. That has been better, but still not perfect.
    I see a lot of people happy with FiTech, but two friends in our club have tried them. Both have had terrible luck with them. One guy threw his in the corner and installed a carb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Every system has it's issues. One HUGE thing people forget is you "can't tune a sick engine", even with a carburetor, so you must make sure it's in good shape. EFI is fine and I've been through several over the last 15yrs. I now use (and won't change) a Holley HP EFI with my Terminator (4yrs). Runs great, easy to tune and has been very reliable, even on long road trips. I've also installed several Holley HP systems on stacks and the performance is great along with driveability. Their Sniper is very good too. I will reiterate, the engine MUST be tight. If your having issues with a system, get back to basics and find out what else is wrong. Too many blame EFI when it's really the engine that has the issue. I'm sure the Fast and Fitech people will say the same. Just my .03.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. Any issues with the placement of the O2 sensor. I welded bungs into my headers prior to having them coated. They are after the collector but before the muffler. About the only logical place. It is at about 4 o'clock which I know is not the optimal location according to the documentation I've read. I suspect its a common location for these cars and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with it.
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Essentially, at it's simplest, you can divide an EFI system down into two sections - hardware and software. Try and put the best of each together, and you'll do great.

I'm not a big fan of systems like the Holley Sniper. They work well within their limitations. But if I'm going to go through all that trouble and expense, I want port injection and sequential operation. With carb replacement types, you still have all the issues of a wet manifold. One of the reasons for upgrading is to avoid all that. There's a reason the factory has moved away from throttle body injections.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would throw my .02 cents in for what its worth. As Bob Cowan stated, EFI systems can be broken down into two parts. And I think the term "self learning" is a marketing tactic. It sounds very sexy to someone who wants all the conveniences of EFI and not willing to muck with a carb. Bolt it on and go.......

The software is generally the same algorithms across all EFI manufactures. Holley for example is not writing their own proprietary code. How each system reacts to varying operating conditions is virtually the same across all units. An EFI system bolted on top of a motor that's already "sick" will not miraculously operate perfect. Base maps are needed to get the engine running and from there, the software will make extremely fast and accurate adjustments to air, fuel and spark which are then stored to the ECU. How does it know what to adjust and when to make adjustments. Sensors. There are several that are critical but all of them must be perfect in order for the driving experience to be perfect.

That said;

I've owned my unit now for over a year with just a tad over 1000 miles logged. I'm not going to dime out the manufacturer of this unit but it's been mentioned several times in this thread and it's not a Holley. I have been nagged with drivability issues over the course of the 1000 miles. Cold starts, warm starts, bogging, WOT response issues. yadda. I've always felt the need to tweak certain settings in order to help along the learning of the unit. In fact, I have reset the system to learn 3 times now only to have the same symptoms present eventually. My last engine modification was swapping out a Weiand intake for an Edlebrock Air Gap intake. This caused issues when throttle returned to idle as it would stumble and finally work it's way back to my preset idle RPM of 890. A minor tweak to a setting resolved this issue. Don't get me wrong here, the motor runs fine but like I said prior, I am tweaking settings to sort things out.

Back to the hardware part that Bob mentioned. Aside from the sensors, there really isn't anything complicated on these units. The sensors are a different situation. The software cannot "react" and therefore adjust properly or accurately if the sensors are not functioning. Case in point; I eventually got around to viewing and understating the fault code section of my unit. One particular fault code would always show up (P0122 TPS LOW). I'm not 100% certain when this code started to show up but seems to me it's always been present. I dismissed the code originally as I thought maybe the system didn't have enough "learn" time and eventually it would clear. NOT!

I reached out to the manufacturer to confirm the code and their response was either I had a wire spliced in the main harness somewhere OR my Throttle Position Sensor is bad. Really? Ok, I don't even need to look at the wiring as its virgin. So I suspect the TPS is bad. Luckily for me, the replacement TPS part is a pretty common GM part. However, it would explain all the needed tweaks along the way. If the TPS is not functioning correctly, the software cannot adjust the fuel/air/spark maps accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was a very happy customer with my Fitech setup, it ran great after a brief learning period in my 347. After an unrelated mechanical failure I decided to upgrade to Dart 427W, but could not get it to run well at all. After struggling with it all summer, ruling out one engine cause after another that they suggested I finally got them to give me an RMA number to check it over. Switched to a borrowed carb in the mean time just so I could enjoy my car a little this year. They ended up replacing the ECU and shipped it back to me. I gave it one last try and it fired up and ran like a champ again. Not impressed with their customer support at all, but have to give them credit for breaking open the market for low buck, basic EFI systems for street use. Was about ready to sell it and switch to the Sniper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    Essentially, at it's simplest, you can divide an EFI system down into two sections - hardware and software. Try and put the best of each together, and you'll do great.

I'm not a big fan of systems like the Holley Sniper. They work well within their limitations. But if I'm going to go through all that trouble and expense, I want port injection and sequential operation. With carb replacement types, you still have all the issues of a wet manifold. One of the reasons for upgrading is to avoid all that. There's a reason the factory has moved away from throttle body injections.
    So which systems would you recommend?
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not go with EZ FAST. We had the same issues with the EZ FAST 2.0 as noted above. The "self-learning" simply did not work well. After calls with FAST Tech and online research for correction we finally ditched the 2.0 for the FAST Sportsman. The only reason we stayed with FAST was the wiring for the Sportsman was the same as the 2.0. The Sportsman allows you to input and manage your own tune. We do not use the self learning mode at all.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ej95Cobra View Post
    I would not go with EZ FAST. We had the same issues with the EZ FAST 2.0 as noted above. The "self-learning" simply did not work well. After calls with FAST Tech and online research for correction we finally ditched the 2.0 for the FAST Sportsman. The only reason we stayed with FAST was the wiring for the Sportsman was the same as the 2.0. The Sportsman allows you to input and manage your own tune. We do not use the self learning mode at all.
    I am running the 2.0 on mine and under WOT it seems to run pretty well but cruising around and anything under 2200 rpm it runs terrible. I have tried multiple settings with little or no improvement. Did the Sportsman resolve the problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have installed fitech on 2 cars. both run great very easy and under 400hp you can buy the cheaper system. sounds like you have a fuel system and good distributor already

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    We use the sniper on all of our crate engines, and we even sell it outright. Been a great unit for us. Give us a try if you're in the market for a sniper. I can even help with the required ignition components that play well with the aftermarket EFI systems.

https://blueprintengines.com/collections/efi-kits
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4me View Post
    I am running the 2.0 on mine and under WOT it seems to run pretty well but cruising around and anything under 2200 rpm it runs terrible. I have tried multiple settings with little or no improvement. Did the Sportsman resolve the problems?
    I would demand Fast swap out the POS 2.0 and give you the Sportsman. They did for me, and it's simply a straight swap of the computers, no wiring change. It was a vast improvement.

23. Thanks Toy4me thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4me View Post
    Yes, the Sportsman solved the performance problems we were experiencing. We input our own tune and then had it tweaked with a dynotuned by an experienced tuner. The EZ 2.0 would continually change our initial inputs needed for the "self-learning" and it would not "learn" at the lower rpms.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

25. Thanks Toy4me thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The plan for my 33' hot rod with GMPP SBC is retro fuel injection. I have zero experience with any of the units for sale but have read quite a bit about all of them. A good mechanic friend recommends FiTech and has done several conversions with great success. I was leaning to the Sniper unit BUT have decided to do a test. I have a 40' Ford with carb'ed SBC that I want to play with to get a feel for this whole thing. Just got a new EFI fuel tank and internal pump unit from Fitech, fits fine, and have return line in and working on all the associated "stuff" before I put on the TBI unit and try it out. I started out with the intention of just doing a quickie job but old tank, no return line, move exhaust Etc, Etc... things got out of hand fast and its a bigger task than I thought but this 40' is worth it and I need the experience. Kind of a nice side job away from the 33' build. Just getting to the end of the 33' exhaust install and it is far and away the most frustrating part of the build so far. But its in.