Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Paint all Alum panels or only some

Post Thanks / Like

Paint all Alum panels or only some

Don't mean to start a debate but I would like to hear what others are doing. Just getting started and I'm wondering what panels are being painted/powder coated. if the panels are going to be covered with carpet or sound/heat insulating materials what areas are left exposed. I would really like mine to look pristine and finished everywhere. That said using paint/powder coat to protect from residual road chemicals etc would not be as effective as undercoating or would it? really looking for some ideas. Never built a car before but have built aircraft but that's a whole different deal. Appreciate any thoughts.
    George W

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Realistically, you can get by without covering anything. That said, I cover all panels with powder coating and add soundproofing for the cockpit. The car feels more solid and all “oil canning” is eliminated. I do believe it adds to resale value as well...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Like so many decisions about the build, just depends on what you want, budget, timeline, etc. I personally am in the powder coat camp as well. Many take the "whatever can be seen" approach which also depends. For me that includes the underside, wheel wells, etc. plus the engine compartment. Many only consider the engine compartment. Costs for powder coating vary quite a bit, so shop around. Also if you do the whole build in a couple batches (vs. piecemeal) the cost is typically much lower. If you paint, you can be as selective as you want but be warned it's a lot of work and not as durable as powder coat. Powder coating can also be selective, but only by the piece. I've had several quotes, and it was never any cheaper to do only one side, for example. Powder coating easily holds up to the environment these cars see. My first build is approaching 9 years old, is driven regularly, and the powder coat still looks pristine on the underside. The current owner keeps it that way. I highly recommend undercoat on the underside of the fiberglass body, but haven't found it necessary (or desirable) on the underside of the aluminum. But again, these are my personal choices and you will see/hear many others.

x2 on heat/sound insulation in the cockpit, then carpet. Makes a difference. I've driven builds without insulation and it's quite noticeable. Some (including me) also do the trunk, but that's maybe more aesthetic than functional.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-03-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless your driving it in the winter months, where you may come across salt on the roads, I wouldn't be to concerned, as to "protecting" the aluminum from chemicals.

Undercoating the elephant ears, and the rear cockpit aluminum, that is exposed in the rear wheel opening is a good idea. It will further reduce road noise, and prevent it from getting sand blasted. Likewise with the front wheel splash shields.

The underside of the cockpit, foot-boxes, F panels, firewall, and all trunk aluminum, is exposed, but again unless driving on salty roads, it's not going to be affected badly, if left natural. You could use Sharkhide if you were terribly concerned, or even just wipe it down with some WD-40, to help retard oxidization.

Personally I love the vintage race car look of raw aluminum, so I'd go with the Sharkhide.
    https://www.eastwood.com/sharkhide-a...ant-quart.html