BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: radiator reservoir location on coyote

Post Thanks / Like

radiator reservoir location on coyote

Being that I have a coyote engine my options are limited for the radiator reservoir location so I wanted to run it past you guys to see if I'm missing something.
    Option #1 is next to radiator but i don't like that location since i would have to custom a mounting bracket and the reservoir itself is tilted which is a problem in my mind.
    Option #2 is on passenger side firewall under the frame tube and fuel regulator and next to A/C bulkhead. I purchased some 90 fittings for heater hoses to make that clean and i would mount reservoir as high as i can to get cap off, I will need to use a funnel to fill but i don't expect to have to do that often. I will also get a 90 fitting for bottom of reservoir which does not stick down past frame and then run hose to radiator. Seems to me to be my best option since there is no room on drivers side.
    This is a closed system so fluid should fill in when hot and pull out when cold right?

Also, secondary question, does it matter which heater hose goes into the A/C core, in other words, is there a particular direct the hot water should flow inside the car? I know it matters on the engine side but I the directions aren't specific for the inside.

thanks for the help!IMG_20181103_125505267.jpgIMG_20181103_125443284.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The coyote doesn't use reservoir like that. You have to use the stock type closed system tank.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...rad-cap-style/
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, the Hot Rod used the old style overflow, not the newer style like the Roadster.

Dan, unfortunately I haven’t figured out what I want for a reservoir yet. But I don’t like the one we get in the kit.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't have to use a stock type overflow tank but you do have to understand the system in order to not use stock type. You have to make sure the small return from the driver side head is bled while engine is hot to ensure all vapor is removed from the system. Normally that point is returned to the stock tank to allow gas to escape. Using an antomspheric pressure expansion tank doesn't have this tube connected. You have to manually bleed the vapor.

I am using the ffr supplied tank for now and as of now it works. It is not my final method. Some people use it for their final design and it has worked but you must get all air of if the system.

Plumbing direction of the heater doesn't matter. Ford says you must keep a flow through the heater hoses to allow vapor to escape the passenger head. Most people solve this by using a 4 way valve instead of the ffr supplied on/off valve. The 4 way reroutes flow to bypass the heater core. Ffr says they have ran the om/off on all their cars and never had an issue. I am thinking about drilling a 1/8" hole in the kn/off valve and using that to endure a small flow at all times. I'd use the 4 way but I want a clean as possible install which means the valve has to go inside the car and real estate is becoming a premium commodity on my build.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gen 1 Coyote uses a standard recovery tank. ,,,still looking for a tank and place to mount. I am using all the space between the TB and the radiator.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Gen 1 Coyote uses a standard recovery tank. ,,,still looking for a tank and place to mount. I am using all the space between the TB and the radiator.
    Joe, Did you get a tank with your kit, or are you looking for something different? I have one if you need it. FFR number: #16576 - STAINLESS OVERFLOW TANK KIT
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dan's33 View Post
    Also, secondary question, does it matter which heater hose goes into the A/C core, in other words, is there a particular direct the hot water should flow inside the car? I know it matters on the engine side but I the directions aren't specific for the inside.

thanks for the help!IMG_20181103_125505267.jpgIMG_20181103_125443284.jpg
    Dan, Doesn't matter which way the water flows in the heater core. Also: I used a 4-way valve and it works great. Make sure you set it up with water flowing through the core when you pull the control out. It is possible to set it up backwards..

NOTE:
    I turned the 90 degree heater fittings upward, into the 4-way valve, and then ran them under the engine cover. Used (electrical) loop clamps and reformed them to an oval/elongated shape and used the existing engine studs under the cover.
    4-way valve - I added 1/8" Push-on retention washers (some people call them "Waring" washers). Added a dab of JB Weld to the top one to help secure it.
    See my photo gallery for 4-way valve, push-on washers and clamps. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1083
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 11-04-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Joe, Did you get a tank with your kit, or are you looking for something different? I have one if you need it. FFR number: #16576 - STAINLESS OVERFLOW TANK KIT
    I did get a tank with my kit, but as I understand, it does not have enough volume for the Coyote engine?
    I might give it a try, anyway. Thanks for the offer.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I did get a tank with my kit, but as I understand, it does not have enough volume for the Coyote engine?
    I might give it a try, anyway. Thanks for the offer.
    Yes, the FFR supplied coolant overflow tank will work. My experience has been the volume isn't enough. On a hot day the overflow tank tends to ....overflow. As said by svtfreak, the install requires bleeding air from the engine. Not hard, just a little finiky. Actually, so long as your water pump isn't airbound, things will be fine. I'm using a similar larger tank from Jegs I think.

As for the heater routing, I followed the route from the Ford instructions. I didn't bother with a 4 way re-route valve. I've run the car hard and run it for long stretches. No issues.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    The current tank that is being shipped with the kits have been upgraded and are larger than the originals. I contacted Tony Z at one point and he sent me a new one. I mounted mine on the firewall similar to yours. The setup in this kit is not a closed pressure system due to the radiator, therefore you need an overflow, I ran my overflow line from the radiator to the overflow tank along the frame but hidden behind the body sides. Once you have the system full only put no more than 1/4-1/3 full additional coolant in the tank or it will overflow until it stabilizes and you've run it hot a few times.
    20180331_144720.jpg 20180410_191053.jpg This pic shows the overflow line going from the rad to the reservoir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Yes, the FFR supplied coolant overflow tank will work. My experience has been the volume isn't enough. On a hot day the overflow tank tends to ....overflow. As said by svtfreak, the install requires bleeding air from the engine. Not hard, just a little finiky. Actually, so long as your water pump isn't airbound, things will be fine. I'm using a similar larger tank from Jegs I think.

As for the heater routing, I followed the route from the Ford instructions. I didn't bother with a 4 way re-route valve. I've run the car hard and run it for long stretches. No issues.
    You plumbed it like Ford says or like ffr said? You have the single valve in the supply to the heater core?
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    You plumbed it like Ford says or like ffr said? You have the single valve in the supply to the heater core?
    Plumbed the O/F like FFR. The heater followed the Ford route minus the 4 way switch. I used the FFR supplied cable actuated valve. Installed it on the feed line to the heart term core. On a MkIV mind you but there's no difference.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Plumbed the O/F like FFR. The heater followed the Ford route minus the 4 way switch. I used the FFR supplied cable actuated valve. Installed it on the feed line to the heart term core. On a MkIV mind you but there's no difference.
    OK got it. Yeah the operation is the same no matter. Glad to hear the 2 way worked for you also. Starting to make me think that I'll do the same. I figure I have about 24 hours left to decide lol.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info guys, that really helps.
    I'm going to stick with my mounting location for the overflow, since i have a newer kit I'll assume it large enough, I'll just make sure to get rid of air in system.
    I think I'll skip the 4 way valve for now at least and see how it goes.
    Interesting that FFR shows the on/off valve pointing in a different direction, against the flow? see pic. From what i can tell looking at the coyote coolant system diagram the passenger side is supply to heater and drivers side is return. The valve has an arrow on it so i would assume it needs to point in direction of flow?ffr valve.jpg
    Last edited by dan's33; 11-06-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    here is mine
    my valve.jpg