FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Older engines

Post Thanks / Like

Older engines

I'm currently just lurking out here reading the boards and doing some dreaming. I'm interested in the '35 truck but thought I would ask this question, what is the oldest engine that someone has used in one the '33 kits? I want to use an older 289 block with a c4, the only reason I would use this combo is I already have a short block.
    Just curious, lets see some pics of any older or unique engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 289 is a standard Windsor SBF, so as far as the chassis is concerned no different than any other Windsor up to a 5.0 (pushrod). The C4 will fit fine - it's pretty small - but you will probably need a custom driveshaft.

I've considered this combo as I have it too, out of my Dads '66 Mustang.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen photos of one Hot Rod running an old Flathead.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

4. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwheels View Post
    I'm currently just lurking out here reading the boards and doing some dreaming. I'm interested in the '35 truck but thought I would ask this question, what is the oldest engine that someone has used in one the '33 kits? I want to use an older 289 block with a c4, the only reason I would use this combo is I already have a short block.
    Just curious, lets see some pics of any older or unique engines.
    I am currently building a 33 using a 1964 Chevy 283 block as the basis for my car. In New Mexico the county surrounding Albuquerque has emission testing, however anything older than 35 years is exempt, hence the '64. They verify this by inspecting the block casting number and using the latest year that casting number was last used, my number being in 1967. This is what I had lying around, the block having been in my extended family since new. One advantage to this smaller envelope is the amount of clearance I have between the rear of the engine and the firewall. My engine makes 337 HP and 326 lbs ft, all in by 5700 RPM. I have 80's Corvette aluminum heads a retro fit hydraulic roller cam with just a 580 cfm carb. This allows for excellent packaging using a GM 700R4 tranny.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    We don't have emission testing in Iowa, the only reason for the 289 is because I already have it and to save money. Finding parts for the SBF is pretty easy and fairly cheep, besides I like the look of the older engines, going to use the original color, black block and gold valve covers and air cleaner. But I understand the reasoning behind the older block in your case in NM. Nice to see not everybody is spending lots of money on these Hod Rods, although it would be nice if I could.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 351C but i really want to use an old flathead that is old school to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Resurrecting this thread as I went the crazy route and am using a Buick 364 nailhead from a 58 Roadmaster with a 64 400t tranny. Had to make up all new motor mounts and expect big problem when the exhaust has to connect to the headers. Running 3-2 carbs and old school looks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 79 sbc 350 in my 33 hotrod.
    33 Hot Rod w/ deluxe 32 nose
    350 SBC and 700r4 automatic, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears
    Order date:4/25/19, Deliver date 6/10/19
    First run 10/6/2019, Go cart 11/3/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    here you go. Florida Local boy done good.

:-)

flat head 33.jpg
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!