Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Yes you can remove motor without tearing out radiator

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can remove motor without tearing out radiator

Had so much difficulty getting nose just right ,I am not about to ever remove it. Have to pull mule motor to get tranny fixed, new high stall convertor and prep for new blueprint 347 fuelie. Also installing power brake booster from Whitby so now have lots of room to play under the hood. Here is a picture of the empty bay :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114271[/ATTACH

I will try to install the motor and trans as a unit and see if that is possible. I know I will have to raise the rear end up about 6 feet...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I installed a Coyote with a 6R80 auto trans and headers attached without too much difficulty. I had to approach from the side, and there was a lot of iterative up/down/tilt/pivot, but in the end it went in smoothly and fit perfectly.
    Keith HR#894

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the positive re-enforcement. I sure don't want to mess with that front clip and I'm not sure I can pull off an engine/transmission marriage in the engine compartment. I'll post the results in a few weeks when I get the new motor on board. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Keith, what points did you use to lift your package? I made a set that attach to factory points but can't get the passenger side one off. I might could if I use short bolts. Haven't tackled that yet. I'm afraid if I move it forward any (like to exhaust bolts) it'll be too canted to deal with even with a load leveler and put way too much weight on the front one.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the factory lift points with the brackets from TDMotion. Yes, I have the same problem with the PS bracket mounting bolt heads being very close to the firewall. I left the lift brackets installed for now - I will be pulling the engine later to have the chassis powder coated. However, I think that eventually I'll have to cut an access port in the firewall in order to remove the bolts. I don't think that I can slide the engine far enough forward to remove the bolts otherwise, and cutting the heads off would be problematic.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my own lift bracket out of 3/8” plate which worked well and I used a cut off wheel to cut the bolts and remove it. Was interesting getting in there but managed. Went through trans tunnel for one. I think I’ll be able to shorten new the bolts enough to get them in and out with using the plate bracket but haven’t tested that idea yet.

Post Thanks / Like

New motor going in

Got the new 3200 stall converter, upgraded AOD trans, and shiny BPE 347 stroker with Sniper fuel injection all assembled and stuffed into my engine bay this morning. Proof positive that a sbf w/auto can go in over the top of the grill assy. Damn glad I got it to fit without messing with that front clip. Only issue was that we snapped off the speedo sending unit on that darn trans mount. That's on order from FFR if they have one.

Wish I knew how to post large pictures but this is what I can do: 20191012_100826.jpg 820191012_113016.jpg

Pleasantly surprised at how much lower the 302 based motor sits vs the 351 I pulled out. Should have plenty of room for a good air cleaner.
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 10-12-2019 at 07:22 PM.

8. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fire that bad boy up and let's take a ride.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Fire that bad boy up and let's take a ride.
    Soon my friend, very soon. Thanks.