BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: EFI ECU Controlling the Cooling Fan Sanity Check

Post Thanks / Like

EFI ECU Controlling the Cooling Fan Sanity Check

I have the Holley Sniper EFI and want the EFI's ECU to control when the cooling fan kicks on versus having the thermostatic switch do it.

As it is now, on the cooling fan relay, the fused power supply goes to pin 30 (power supply) on the relay. A jumper goes to pin 85 on the relay which is the ground. Pin 86 is the relay trigger and is connected via the green wire to the thermostatic switch for the engine block location, and another green wire which goes to the forward harness for mounting the thermostatic switch in the radiator (if configured that way). Pin 85 on the relay is the output and is connected to the blue fan wire via a fuse.

The Factory Five instructions say on page 38 of the Chassis Wiring Harness that in order to have the EFI control the fan, you should:

"Cut the short red looped wire that goes between the fan relay pins close to the left red wire connector it jumps from (pin 30 - power supply) and connect the EFI computer fan power wire to the red relay going to the bottom pin (pin 85 - ground)." The instructions also say to ground one of the thermostat switch green wires.

I think in the above configuration, the thermostatic switch would still trigger the relay and not accomplish the goal.

On the other hand, the instructions for the Sniper EFI say to wire it so the EFI triggers the fan relay, and notes that the EFI uses ground outputs to do so. The Sniper EFI also has its own coolant temperature sensor.

With the above in mind, rather than follow the Factory Five instructions, it seems that I should wire the EFI to pin 86 (the relay trigger) which should close the circuit in the relay when the EFI ECU sends it the signal, and let current flow from pin 30 (power supply) to pin 85 (output to the fan). Then I can eliminate the thermostatic switch in the engine block entirely, since the Sniper has its own coolant temperature sensor.

Am I on the right track?
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't cut the jumper! All you need to do is run the Sniper's fan control wire to the fan's ground wire in either of the two locations provided on the RF harness. There is one at the top of the engine and one at the bottom under the radiator. The Sniper completes the ground to turn on the fan. The fan always has 12 volt power. The CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) supplied with the EFI will trigger the ECU at ~180 degrees (mine actually triggers when my gauge is reading ~190 degrees) to complete the circuit, which turns the fan on.

Use the light blue wire out of the Sniper's 10-pin connector for your fan control. Note that this is a (-) wire. I actually de-pinned the rest of that connector as I'm not using any of the other wires but the fan control.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 11-04-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave's got it exactly right; follow his instructions and you're good with respect to fan control.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Don't cut the jumper! All you need to do is run the Sniper's fan control wire to the fan's ground wire in either of the two locations provided on the RF harness. There is one at the top of the engine and one at the bottom under the radiator. The Sniper completes the ground to turn on the fan. The fan always has 12 volt power. The CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) supplied with the EFI will trigger the ECU at ~180 degrees (mine actually triggers when my gauge is reading ~190 degrees) to complete the circuit, which turns the fan on.

Use the light blue wire out of the Sniper's 10-pin connector for your fan control. Note that this is a (-) wire. I actually de-pinned the rest of that connector as I'm not using any of the other wires but the fan control.

Dave
    Thanks Papa. Good! I'm not as far out of my depth as I thought.

I had already de-pinned the rest of the connector and was planning to use the light blue wire for the trigger. Just wanted to make sure I was approaching the relay correctly. I think we're on the same page. As it is now, the green (fan ground) wires go to the trigger (pin 86 on the relay), so connecting the EFI light blue wire to one of the green fan wires to trigger the relay makes sense.

Thanks for the sanity check. I appreciate your expertise, and am a big fan of your build blog.

Regards,

RJD
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Dave's got it exactly right; follow his instructions and you're good with respect to fan control.

John
    Yup - always listen to your Papa. Thanks John for confirmation.

Regards,
    RJD

Post Thanks / Like
    I really wish that FFR would remove the instructions about cutting the jumpers or at least make sure that they state that those instructions are for very specific EFI circumstances and may not apply to everyone. Understanding positive and negative control is something that could be added to the manual as well. If you understand that concept and can determine what your EFI is, then the rest is not too hard at all. Speaking of which, I still need to rewire my inertia switch after switching to the Sniper from the FAST EFI. The FAST used negative control to drive the fuel pump circuit, so I was using the RF relay to power my fuel pump. The sniper uses positive control and its own relay, so I'm no longer using the RF fuel pump relay at all. I'll likely rewire the inertia switch into the pump control wire on the Sniper.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

7. Thanks Geoff H thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    The sniper uses positive control and its own relay, so I'm no longer using the RF fuel pump relay at all. I'll likely rewire the inertia switch into the pump control wire on the Sniper.
    Dave
    Yes, I did the same thing regarding the fuel pump. I might just do without the inertia switch. But in case I change my mind, I hope you'll post how you rewire yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great minds think alike. I moved the RF inertia switch to be in-line with the Holley fuel pump power circuit. A couple of snips, a few crimps, & some heat shrink & you're done. I seem to recall that the switch is rated to 20A & the Holley system provides less than 10A, so no problems moving the switch.

While you're at it, use a multi-meter to make sure your inertia switch is wired correctly. A couple of years ago, RF was providing inertia switches wired to be normally open rather than normally closed. Swapping a couple of pins so that the wires were on the outside terminals (not the center) was the solution.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Great minds think alike. I moved the RF inertia switch to be in-line with the Holley fuel pump power circuit. A couple of snips, a few crimps, & some heat shrink & you're done. I seem to recall that the switch is rated to 20A & the Holley system provides less than 10A, so no problems moving the switch.

While you're at it, use a multi-meter to make sure your inertia switch is wired correctly. A couple of years ago, RF was providing inertia switches wired to be normally open rather than normally closed. Swapping a couple of pins so that the wires were on the outside terminals (not the center) was the solution.

John
    So, I decided to incorporate the inertia switch afterall. Not that I doubted you, but I called Holley to see what they recommended and they essentially said to do what you did - install the inertia switch in series on the fuel pump power circuit downline from the Sniper relay.