Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFMetal Battery and clearance Replacing battery with Optima or other

Post Thanks / Like

FFMetal Battery and clearance Replacing battery with Optima or other

I have a MKIV with the original IRS, Installed the battery before we put the body on. Used a odyssey pc680. After 4 years it will not hold a charge. Car was just finished and the battery sat most of the time.

Looking for a battery size that will fit without removing the body, size 34 looks like it may work, the FFMETAL site says to use the optima 9002-02 red top battery.

Anyone have experience with this or a NON odyssey regular battery, such as a group 34 size. Without taking the body off the car.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out this LINK... I just did my battery.... This seems to be a really nice battery for this application. And FWIW, I measured the Red Top side by side with this one and they have the exact measurements top to bottom, and at the bottom, front to back and side to side... Group 34 is what you need, just watch your post orientation to be sure + / - is on the side that you prefer.
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 11-05-2018 at 06:30 AM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    I think mine is a Duracell. I know it is a group 34. I bought it from batteries plus. Sam's had a sale on for the 34R, which has the post reversed. My positive cable is on the passenger side and the battery sits with the post on the rear of the box. I did have to cut a small tab on the top sides near the battery handle for the hold down bolts to be plumb. The fit is so close, it has to go into the bottom of the box, straight down. It will not drop in, one side then the other. It will clear the hoop in the trunk. Hope this is the right application you wanted info on.
    Last edited by Railroad; 11-05-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    BadAsp427,

Oriellys is my parts store of choice here, will get one of theirs today. Did you install or remove the battery with the battery on th car yet?
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baghdad Bob,

Just for clarification, is your battery sunken in the trunk or on the upper trunk (Factory Five std. location)?

I have had the battery in both locations (long story) on my Mk4 and the Red Top Optima size recommended by FFMetal (Grp 34) can be removed with the body on in both locations.

The suggestion regarding making sure the + & - poles are oriented correctly to your cables is important.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have body on as of yet but the should be no problem as it is the same size as the red top.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a Delco size 47 AGM, fits perfectly.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Optima Red Top in my MKII, date coded 07/05 and is still fine. I do keep a Battery Tender hooked up though.