Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Question: Should I scale the car before or after doing the final alignment?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question: Should I scale the car before or after doing the final alignment?

Ladies & Gentlemen Who Race,

Should I re-scale my car before or after doing the final alignment?

When we did it last year we set things up where it was pretty much 50/50 Left-Right & 50/50 Front-Rear.
    My ride height is set where I want it and my shock thread counts are within 1 count of each other left to right.
    Also, the car is sitting level with nobody it it with no real measurable lean when measuring the frame to the ground.
    My driveline is heavy and was moved forward about 6" to make everything properly fit so that's why I'm at 50/50 F.R.
    Also, my front sway bar, when connected or disconnected, is neutral with no pre-load left to right.
    The rear is the standard 3-link with no sway bar and I'm running the stock Red Koni set up.

This Will Be A Street Car & Only Drag Raced and/or Auto Crossed 3-4 Times Each Year!

https://youtu.be/NhRHwAbtrt0

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-05-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scale it after as changes to the alignment will throw the corner weights off. Since you don't want to be making too large of changes with the car already aligned I would measure your coil-overs to be sure they are equal side to side before you go in for an alignment. You probably already know this but also make sure all the suspension is greased and the tire pressures are set before going on the scale or your numbers will be off.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim,
    > You Opinion Is Like The Gospel!
    > At least when it comes to these cars.
    > Thanks so much for the expert advice.

Gang,
    > Are We A Lucky Group Or What?
    > Does any other company stand by their customer's like Factory Five Racing!
    > I Think Not!

Steve

4. Likes FF6602 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to say both, but sounds like you already have it where needed before alignment. As long as you are close on corner weights and ride height the alignment won't be impacted by any minor issues. Like Jim said, grease it up and set some pressures, do the alignment, and then scale it.

If you do get into autocross, I'd recommend getting the ability to do your own alignments and scales. Car setup will be all about learning how changes impact handling.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in San Diego the local autocross club has alignment tools and scales available to club members.
    Might be worth checking if you have a club in your area.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Echo what Mike said -- get the tools to perform your own alignment. Some folks make their own caster/camber adjusting tools but for around $150 you can get a Longacre caster/camber gauge with a mag base used by racers all over the country. And instead of expensive turntables use vinyl floor tiles and fab some 20-deg turn tabs. If you go to the album gallery and find my build somewhere near the back you'll find a couple photos with the tabs I fabricated and a non-electrical type Rebco caster/camber gauge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Dark Side Dart Fans,

Thanks for the recommendations, though I doubt if I'll buy the tools to do it myself.
    Two of my pals own the shops where we'll be doing the alignment & scaling.
    One issue of concern is they are roughly 25-30 miles apart.
    Knowing which to do first was the big question.
    Thanks For Answering It For Me!
    It Is Appreciated For Sure!

Steve

Note:...Now if you guys can tell me which came first, the chicken or the egg then all will be right with the world.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-05-2018 at 07:25 PM.