Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: 818S Complete - Driver's Perception after 2000 miles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

818S Complete - Driver's Perception after 2000 miles

Factory Five 818S Driver Perceptions

My car came together over a period of four years. I took a one year break due to some frustrations with stuffing all of that donor car harness into that center console. Also the splicing took some time. So car is pretty much pure basic and is no show piece. But at 6 foot away, it gets plenty of oohs and aahs.

A couple other brief comments. I sold $3500 of parts off the donor I didn’t need. Took that money and completely rebuilt the 160k old engine. Quite a cult following out there for parts! So I got lucky, my wrecked donor only cost me $3k.

Also wanted to thank all of you on the forum for the great ideas and information. Most of the time my questions were answered via the forum.

A guy down the block had a gray Corvette with black wheels. I loved the combination and went with the same color scheme. Wheels were FF and tires are Dunlap Star Spec II’s. They stick pretty good and the fit is perfect. Be sure and check your lug nuts often! Handling gets squirrely if the wheels get loose.

So my driving perceptions – This car is just short of scary fast. I am running the stock tune with good tires. I know that another 30% power is easy to come by but not sure I will be comfortable with it. Not too many cars will touch it now. The car has better acceleration than my old 67 Mustang with a 390 four speed and that car had lots of grunt. But I know, I know, you can never have too much power!

In the handling department, the car’s steering is very quick. Mine tended to hunt a bit above 75, so took the tire pressure from 30 to 40 psi. That seemed to do the trick. I’m running 4 degrees of caster. Another degree might be good. I haven’t explored yet what how it handles in a drift. Have to work that more when the weather gets nice. Maybe even some Autocross.

In terms of creature comforts, not much to talk about here. I have a 33” inseam and seats back against the firewall. Just enough room for my legs with the seats slightly serpentine. I am using racing seats out of Poland. Really like the way they fit. Just enough room for the doors to close and a real incentive not to gain any weight around the waist! My cars is a bit noisy since the muffler is barely a foot long. Could of used something a bit bigger but it sure sounds good

Some day may add wipers, heater and rag top. But for now just wanted to get it finished and start driving it. Have logged close to 2,000 miles before winter set in and have to say it is just a hoot to drive!  Factory Five did such a nice job providing an affordable roadster for the street. Thanks a million!

If you happen to be in the Indianapolis area, stop by for a ride and a closer look.

Chuck

20180528_210050.jpg20180528_210115.jpg20180528_210241.jpg20180528_210343.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LoneEagle; 11-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.