Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: 818S Complete - Driver's Perception after 2000 miles

Post Thanks / Like

818S Complete - Driver's Perception after 2000 miles

Factory Five 818S Driver Perceptions

My car came together over a period of four years. I took a one year break due to some frustrations with stuffing all of that donor car harness into that center console. Also the splicing took some time. So car is pretty much pure basic and is no show piece. But at 6 foot away, it gets plenty of oohs and aahs.

A couple other brief comments. I sold $3500 of parts off the donor I didn’t need. Took that money and completely rebuilt the 160k old engine. Quite a cult following out there for parts! So I got lucky, my wrecked donor only cost me $3k.

Also wanted to thank all of you on the forum for the great ideas and information. Most of the time my questions were answered via the forum.

A guy down the block had a gray Corvette with black wheels. I loved the combination and went with the same color scheme. Wheels were FF and tires are Dunlap Star Spec II’s. They stick pretty good and the fit is perfect. Be sure and check your lug nuts often! Handling gets squirrely if the wheels get loose.

So my driving perceptions – This car is just short of scary fast. I am running the stock tune with good tires. I know that another 30% power is easy to come by but not sure I will be comfortable with it. Not too many cars will touch it now. The car has better acceleration than my old 67 Mustang with a 390 four speed and that car had lots of grunt. But I know, I know, you can never have too much power!

In the handling department, the car’s steering is very quick. Mine tended to hunt a bit above 75, so took the tire pressure from 30 to 40 psi. That seemed to do the trick. I’m running 4 degrees of caster. Another degree might be good. I haven’t explored yet what how it handles in a drift. Have to work that more when the weather gets nice. Maybe even some Autocross.

In terms of creature comforts, not much to talk about here. I have a 33” inseam and seats back against the firewall. Just enough room for my legs with the seats slightly serpentine. I am using racing seats out of Poland. Really like the way they fit. Just enough room for the doors to close and a real incentive not to gain any weight around the waist! My cars is a bit noisy since the muffler is barely a foot long. Could of used something a bit bigger but it sure sounds good

Some day may add wipers, heater and rag top. But for now just wanted to get it finished and start driving it. Have logged close to 2,000 miles before winter set in and have to say it is just a hoot to drive!  Factory Five did such a nice job providing an affordable roadster for the street. Thanks a million!

If you happen to be in the Indianapolis area, stop by for a ride and a closer look.

Chuck

20180528_210050.jpg20180528_210115.jpg20180528_210241.jpg20180528_210343.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LoneEagle; 11-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Walter Mitty in me had dreams of driving out route 66 to CA with my little woman, but from a practical standpoint, it's just not going to happen. She has a big suitcase and likes air conditioning while crossing Kansas on a 110 degree day. Can't say as I blame her. Also a lot of rain clouds between Indy and Laguna Beech.

That being said, I have no intentions of selling it. I'm hoping to continue to drive my 818 this winter if the weather cooperates and I get a 55 degree sunny day. Is truly is great fun to drive. The exhaust note is somewhere between STI (my son has one of those) and a Track Car. That definitely drives the fun factor up. Also the Turbo gives a real kick in the butt rush that's hard to duplicate otherwise for less than $60,000.

I guessing people are selling them for something more practical or with more frills. Also can be a bit cramped for bigger guys. The 818 just doesn't have an ounce of fat anywhere. That can be good or bad depending on your prospective...
    Last edited by LoneEagle; 11-06-2018 at 03:34 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great Job! Grey really looks good on the 818, IMO. I did an 818E similar in color scheme. Enjoy your ride and pat yourself on the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m Indiana, nice to see another one

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpresto View Post
    Agreed, nice build, like hearing about things after some miles. And - Hurray for Happy (818) Hoosiers !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpresto View Post
    There's a few of us. I'm on the west side of Indy, bwalker is on the NW side inside 465, Chuck is on the NW side outside of 465.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneEagle View Post
    Factory Five 818S Driver Perceptions

If you happen to be in the Indianapolis area, stop by for a ride and a closer look.

Chuck

20180528_210050.jpg
    Chuck
    Looks great.

We are on the west side of Cincinnati just off of I74. Give me an heads up if you get over this way.
    I will do the same.
    Planning on going to PRI in Indy on December 7th or 8th.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's get together Bob when you come to Indy in Dec. Maybe Mechie3 can join us as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well count me in
    Indy west side (Eagle Creek)
    Good looking ride you have there Chuck...

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!

As for power.... you know how it goes. It's scary fast today. In a couple of weeks it will feel like a Prius.

12. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like the post-build update! Information is actually really scarce as far as the driving and ownership experience of a finished build unless you talk to people in person. Seems most people only come back to the forum after building to post what's broken or to sell the car.

Glad you've been enjoying it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jetfuel, we will definitely keep you in the loop on any get together. Based on your handle, are you associated with aviation in some way, perhaps flying out of EYE?
    I fly a Zodie Rocket out of 6I4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bigger, I grew up in Castro Valley, last time I was there it has change a ton from picture I have in my minds eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's correct, I've been working at the "Creek" for the last 25 years running the engine shop for the FBO.