FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS adapter

Post Thanks / Like

IRS adapter

I just installed the driveshaft adapter to the FF supplied IRS diff. The gold colored one for the manual trans does not fit, to large diameter. The aluminum colored one does, both to the diff and on the driveshaft.

Can I assume have received a diff that was originally intended for a car with an automatic transmission? If so, are there any differences other than the input shaft?

Comments?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford uses the iron case diff on manual shift Mustangs, and aluminum case on automatic trans Mustangs. Both have an aluminum back cover. The iron case and aluminum case diffs each take a different adapter, but other than that, everything else is the same and should mount up OK.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen indications that Ford has changed the pinion flange on the cast iron style. Measures the same diameter as the automatic flange. Haven't been able to confirm if it is a Ford assembly error or if it is, in fact a change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
    I have seen indications that Ford has changed the pinion flange on the cast iron style. Measures the same diameter as the automatic flange. Haven't been able to confirm if it is a Ford assembly error or if it is, in fact a change.
    It looks like I have one of the newer rear ends, cast iron with the flange that measures the same as used on the automatics. The adapter fits perfectly in both ends.