Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: solution to poor fuel pickup

Post Thanks / Like

solution to poor fuel pickup

Im using the stock mustang fuel tank. I am running a coyote so I have fuel injection with a pump inside the tank. I have fuel starvation problems below 1/4 tank driving on country roads. I went to the track recently below 1/2 tank was a big problem in right hand corners. I mostly street drive the car. does anyone have any suggestions? Im thinking remove the tank and modify it to install a surge. like a radium or something similar.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adding an external swirlpot is the easiest solution, although not as clean of an installation as a radium or in tank baffled pickup. Even with the fuel cells with the pickup boxes we still used the external tank to be sure and get the most fuel out of the tank for enduro cars. On my race car I had it set-up as a quick removal with the pushlock connectors so I could run just the single pump and no extra tank during sprint races. I just used a 2 quart aluminum tank I got off ebay for about 100 bucks along with a second external pump and it worked great.

Not this exact one but something similar:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-SURGE-TANK-SWIRL-POT-SUIT-BOSCH-044-1-5LT-AN-BARB-FITTINGS-INCLUDED/172818991954?hash=item283cd08b52:gr8AAOSwT5tWJXHq:rk:20f:0
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the same problem we just modded the pickup a bit and set it lower. (Injected LS2) Problem solved

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys,
    I think I'll work at both. the swirl tank will be great at the track. I like the idea of making it removable.

Ill play around with the pickup to see if I can get it better.

Post Thanks / Like
    For my Exocet track car, I simply installed a Holley Hydromat. Simple, inexpensive, quick, and easy. I can run the tank down to <1 gallon.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com