FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electric steering

Post Thanks / Like

Electric steering

The electric steering module had a bearing block in the position that was to mount to the frame. Looking at the pics in the manual it did not look like there was one there. The block fits on the other side of the mount and still has good contact on the shaft (the collar on the shaft that goes thru the bearing was pretty long. Any chance this was what was intended? I cant imagine the design is you just discard the bearing.

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also waiting for comments also from those that have installed unit.

Seems strange way to mount; taking end plate off, and sandwiching mounting bracket in between, but stranger things have happened.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this thread since I have asked the question and at least one other person has mounted it this way. This is from the 33 forum. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...r-ElectraSteer

Post Thanks / Like
    That is how I mounted mine on the 33.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried to mount the u-joints to the steering rack? I tried today and stripped two of the cinch bolts trying to get them to catch the threads on the other side. Seems my steering rack groove was a bit larger than the u-joint would accommodate. The fittings to the elec. steering box were OK, but not the rack. Had to grind the groove deeper to get the bolt to fit. Now, I need to find two of the buggered hex bolts.

Always fun.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still waiting on the rest of my steering parts, but I tried to use the 2 u joint that come with the electric steering to complete the rack to the output side of the power steering unit. I also could not get that joint to fit without a little grinding on the groove. Once that was installed I noticed that the D shaft sent with the kit was not long enough. I starting looking into the manual for a clue and see that the joints supplied with the power steering unit are a little shorter than the ones supplied with the truck. My hope is that once the back ordered ones show up that this is correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to get the supplied u-joints (two with the elec unit) to attach to the elec. steering unit, but not the steering rack itself. I too am waiting for about 5 additional joints to complete the steering hook up. Now, off to find the two buggered bolts.

In checking after your comments on the shortest D shaft (2.24"), mine is about 1/4" short to allow for the cinch bolts to go in. I guess it is possible for the yet to-be-supplied u-joints are a little longer than the ones we have, which would solve the problem.

Likewise, I hope I get the rest of the electric components soon. I noticed in another post on the Forum that they were at FFR, but just needed to be shipped.

Ralph
    Last edited by rponfick; 10-25-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's how I did my truck and 33 steering. mounted the motor with the frame sandwiched between the motor and the bearing assembly

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me too
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)