Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Driver side motor mount bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

Driver side motor mount bolt.

Dropped my SBF in today without much trouble. But, the driver side motor attached engine mount bolt that goes into the frame motor mount bracket is killing me. The 21MM nut seems impossible to get to with the frame mounted power steering bracket in the way. My knuckles are taking a beating. The friction lock bolts seems to need the strength of Superman, if I could get to it.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Ralph

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a PITA to tighten for sure with P/S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steering in is not even in yet, just the bracket welded to the frame that the steering mounts through. Maybe I will just weld the parts together (snicker). How did you do it?
    Ralph

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubled up 2 combo wrenches and just toughed it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what doubled up on combo wrenches means, but I cannot even get a wrench on the nut. Was able to use an open end wrench on for part way (using a rubber mallet to hit on the end of the wrench), but now am having trouble getting anything on the nut. Really don't want unbolt motor mount from the frame and lift motor, but am still thinking.

I know we are always told "it is the fun of the journey, rather than the destination", but right now that is not my feeling.

Thanks, Ralph
    Last edited by rponfick; 11-08-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had to guess he is talking about this knuckle busting use of two wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeep, thanks for that explanation. I will keep that in mind.

My problem here is I cannot get the closed end of the wrench on the nut. The bracket welded to the frame for the steering bearing/electric motor mount is in the way. Maybe I will take the motor mount bracket that is attached to the frame loose and try to jack up the motor enough to get the wrench on the bolt.

Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Gave up trying to tighten nut on bottom of motor mount to frame bracket while in car. Jacking up motor, etc. did not help getting to nut. Getting tired of the journey not working, I want to get to the destination.

Finally, unbolted motor mount, and bracket that attaches to frame, and took whole assembly off the car. Put assembly in vise and then tightened offending nut. I had marked approximate spot on motor mount to frame bracket relationship before removing, and lined up when tightening in vice. Put back on car and now OK.

Just providing my experience to future assemblers.

Ralph

9. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post