FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Advice on getting into/out of an 818C...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Advice on getting into/out of an 818C...

Hello all,

I am seriously considering building an 818C...

I had the opportunity to drop by FFR on a business trip to Boston last week to see if I fit (6'3", 235lb).

First the good news: yes, I fit - and I love the car in person!

Now the question: how do you guys get in/out of this car? It seems extremely difficult with the high slanted door sill; far more challenging than any other car I have ever ridden in.

So, are there any tips/advise? Did I make a rookie mistake with my "drop my butt in and swing the legs" approach?

All in all it looks to be a very fun ride/project, but I am concerned that getting into/out of this car will be impossible without opening the door fully - making parking in a tight garage problematic.

Would love to hear from owners of the coupe... and is the 818S any easier?

Thanks!
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 11-07-2018 at 05:38 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I climb in by going in head first and support myself on the center console. Same way I got into my type 65 coupe or MK4 with soft top on. Look for you tube video on getting in and out of Lotus Exige.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the bucket type racing seats in mine. Put my right foot in first while holding on to the steering wheel. Next place right hand on right side of drivers bucket. Next left hand on back part of the sill. Finally hoist my rear end over the seat, pull in my left leg, and gradually lower (shoe horn) my self in.
    My 818 is an incentive not to gain any weight!

Post Thanks / Like
    2ndgen, I'm 6'3", 230 lbs and have learned to get in and out of my 818C fairly easily. First,I put my butt in as I'm holding the bottom of the steering wheel with my right hand. Then I bend my right leg and swing it in, followed by my left leg. Getting out is the reverse - left leg out, right leg out, then push on the bottom of the steering wheel to get my butt out. Like you did at FFR, right? I also have a tight garage, but if you can get in and out of a production car in your garage, you'll be fine because the 818 doors are no bigger than the doors of a 4-door sedan and smaller than most 2-door cars. I've got modified Subaru seats and it's comfortable once I'm in. I've driven to the Huntington Beach show twice and that's a 900-mile round trip.

I confess, however, that when I pull up to the drive-up window of my bank they don't see me, then I have to climb halfway out my window to reach up to the slide-out drawer.
    Last edited by AZPete; 11-10-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: tpo, oops I mean typo
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like

Getting in and out to

Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    2ndgen, I'm 6'3", 230 lbs and have learned to get in and out of my 818 fairly easily. First,I put my butt in as I'm holding the bottom of the steering wheel with my right hand. Then I bend my right leg and swing it in, followed by my left leg. Getting out is the reverse - left leg out, right leg out, then push on the bottom of the steering wheel to get my butt out. Like you did at FFR, right? I also have a tight garage, but if you can get in and out of a production car in your garage, you'll be fine because the 818 doors are no bigger than the doors of a 4-door sedan and smaller than most 2-door cars. I've got modified Subaru seats and it's comfortable once I'm in. I've driven to the Huntington Beach show twice and that's a 900-mile round trip.

I confess, however, that when I pull up to the drive-up window of my bank they don't see me, then I have to climb halfway out my window to reach up to the slide-out drawer.
    I bought a partially finished 818S. The previous owner bought the Coupe kit too. I went to the FFR factory and spent several hours pouring over the 818 C in the showroom. I got in and out of the drivers side seat a number of times and decided to finish the kit as an S. That said, you should know that I am 6’ 190lb but more importantly I am 74 and not very limber any more. I would like to have gone with the Coupe but my body said no. Sadly, that’s why I have the Coupe kit for sale.